Mutation X V4 flavor build

That looks good to me!

And yes, twist any wire you like as long as you install and heat it properly! I find Nichrome to snap a little easier than kanthal if you over-twist.

4 Likes

Lots of people here seem to easily switch between different materials but struggle with type of coils.
Give me a blind test and I can pick out the kanthal, nichrome, ss or ti… i wouldn’t be able to say if it’s a twisted, round or clapton wire though, let alone if it’s a compact or a spaced coil.
Kanthal and nichrome always give me a distinctive metallic flavor that ss or ti don’t do, but SS and Ti also give off a different result.
In my experience, the way you wick and place the coil is much more important. Don’t stuff your coil too much or you’ll taste cotton for days and mute your juice and just play a little with the length of your legs and the height of the coils over the airflow before playing around with lots of different coils.
I usually use the same coils on any atty I use and play with the other variables to get the best vape out of it. Maybe I’ll add or remove a wrap, use a compact or a spaced coil, depending on the build space I have, but I’m not going to start using other materials or other types than my favorite coils if I get a new atty.

8 Likes

I have that RDA. I haven’t used it in years and can’t even give it away. I hope it works out for you. May I ask what your favorite RDA that you use? (that sure is an awkward sentence)

4 Likes

Profile RDA is my #1 then the Drop RDA using a single coil is my #2. I exclusively use rayon for wick, but brought out my left over cotton to try this. I did get decent flavor with the mutation last night using dual twisted coils, but used rayon and can taste it. Probably stuffed a little too much in the coils.

EDIT: @Dan_the_Man what are your thoughts on using stovetop coils in this for SFT?

EDIT #2: My #1 atty of all time is the Kylin M

4 Likes

I have heard of this. I guess I need to go ahead and give rayon a go.

How would you set it up? I do mine like this;

stuff the cotton in between, saturate, vape, take cotton (rayon) out, burn off coil and do it again and again and again.

I have a video if you are interested.

6 Likes

I’ve been using that one as a single coil (non mesh) for about a year. I removed the spring and lift for the cotton because it’s just in the way as a wound coil deck. It works great for my needs.

5 Likes

I’ve watched your video on this and thought it was a great way for SFT. Wasn’t sure if it would work correctly in the mutation since it’s not a velocity style deck.

5 Likes

I’ve only used mesh in mine. Replaced the thin spring with one out of a pen to make it beefier. Can’t find the thread where I walked through how I wick it with rayon, but I’ve never found anything more flavorful in an rda. But, the Kylin M beats it for flavor. Almost too much flavor

5 Likes

I have a 2 lifetime supply. I could send you some to try if you want.

7 Likes

This is how thin I get my tails with the rayon and mesh.

6 Likes

Rayon’s other advantage is longevity isn’t it? My build fouls before the cotton wears out anyway, so I don’t see the need yet to switch. Besides, like you I have enough still for a zombie apocalypse so another reason to keep on keeping on with ol’ cotton.

Nice tails though. Looks like Santa’s beard after a gift run.

And that blue cutter in the background is the one I use too.

6 Likes

Basically no break in period either depending on how its wicked. Cleaner taste too. I can send some to you as well if you like!

5 Likes

That’s OK but thank you for the offer. I don’t have break in time with mine either. I might if I vaped higher power, but at just 3v on a .65 build I don’t push the boundaries.

If I was using Cotton Bacon v2 and came upon Rayon, I would probably have done it. I just never got along with that stuff. Long break in and damming issues at the coil ends, annoyance.

4 Likes

I don’t have either @Deerslayer, but that’s one fluffy little bowtie you got there.

5 Likes

Let me know if you want some @SessionDrummer. I’ve got plenty!

4 Likes

Ya, that’s what I was thinking too but I have an idea. I’m not sure about the bottom airflow though. It does have side airflow but I don’t think you can shut off the bottom AF though you could tape it off or maybe it will work anyway.

you could make a stove top or I think they tried to change the name to Lolly coil which is just silly IMO. Anywho, install the stove top with a space between the post and the coil and perhaps stuff the whick inbetween.

I think I will work on something because it is a real pain to find a velocity style deck with side airflow anymore. Maybe I’ll pull my Royal Hunter out and see if I can do something with it.

4 Likes

Mine came with plugs to close off the bottom airflow. I put in some Clapton coils yesterday and flavor was a bit better. Besides trying the stovetop coils, I’m also thinking of trying some triple twisted coils that are semi flattened.

4 Likes

Oh ya, I remember now.

like the old macro coils? where you build a very small coil with about a 1mm ID and just stuff some cotton underneath?

I also use this for flavor testing. Takes very little cotton and is a breeze to re-wick.

I bring it up because the Mutation Xv4 and all the versions for that matter are not that great IMO. The flavor is mediocre at best. It wasn’t that great when it first came out. Of course, this is only my opinion and is worth less than the quarter used to show the size of the reaper lol.

I hope you find what your looking for and I hope you are able to get that mutation dialed in.

4 Likes

It would be 2mm or 2.5mm coils similar to the twisted ones advised in the beginning of this thread, but they would have a flatter surface.

I’ll have to try that rda when the boss lifts my embargo.

4 Likes

the tin man flat ribbon build would go nice in this one as well.

4 Likes