My doctor is a nimrod

I had routine physical this week. My family doctor is part of a huge health care organization. During the interview he asked if I was still vaping. I said yes. So, he asked if I was not worried about all the trouble vaping was causing. Instead of answering, I asked him, “I’m curious, as a health professional, what do you know about the recent issues”? He answered, “Only what I read in the news”.

So I quizzed him some more. I asked if he knew that the issues were now clearly linked to the use of oils like THC and CBD. Nada. I asked if he knew about the 2 brothers arrested in Wisconsin for running a massive underground THC vape cartridge business. Nada. A few more questions, a lot more nada. He truly knew only what he read in the news and he apparently didn’t read much news.

Woe is us.

18 Likes

Next time that your doctor directs, “eat a healthy diet”, ask them specifically what that is. They won’t know how to answer your question, and will defer to somebody (anybody) else (probably costing $). So lame, that.

6 Likes

Much like our politcians! :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Haha!!
Crazy, how the bullshit this world has to offer has so much power

3 Likes

Vaping should be touted as a top anti smoking cure across the globe and heavily supported by the world medical community.

6 Likes

You can’t really blame them. Their education is largely financed by Big Pharma and I learned years ago that they get a total of 45 minutes on the relation between health and food, they’re supposed to prescribe pills.

3 Likes

Amen to that!

3 Likes

I think you’re taking away the responsibility from doctors by saying it’s all big pharma. How many doctors become doctors to help people and how many go into the “business” to make good money?
My wife’s a pharmacist and says the same is happening there. She’s had the exact same education as others have had but it sickens her to see it happen in real life.
People come in and ask the pharmacist for advice (they turn more and more to the pharmacist because doctors are too expensive or difficult to see). So often, a pharmacist will advise what they make most profit on, even if it’s not at all helpful to the patient. If it doesn’t help, they’ll be back for more business… that’s the way things go in our capitalistic lives and we’re “all” a little bit responsible for creating the society we live in.

4 Likes

My doctor and I have developed a relationship built on mutual respect. When I smoked, I blatantly told him it was purely a quality of life issue. My decision to continue was due to “quitting” diminishing my quality of life to a point where it overshadowed the alternative’s benefits. He respected that. When I started vaping, he echoed the “we don’t know the long…” and then in a non verbal gesture assured me it was something his employer mandated he present. He was not as versed on vaping as I was and I gave him a number of sources. I am not shy about indicating that I vape even on all forms I’m given to fill, however per my last visit I noted that I am an “ex smoker”. I don’t fault him for not being as well versed as I in as much as he has a few things to keep up on. (sarcasm absolutely) I applaud him for his willingness to give consideration and obviously action regarding new information presented to him. I would not ask him to simply take my word for my assertions. I would be disappointed if he did. I also give him latitude understanding that he works for U of M (MI) health system and that entity is heavily tied to PC in every facet. An example would be when he told me “he had to ask” and rolled his eyes if I wanted someone in the room that I identified with prior to doing a rectal exam. I told him I identified with a gay, lesbian, frog. He simply stated “we have non of those”. We work together rather well.

5 Likes

I’m not taking away their responsibility, I’m just saying that especially in the US they are completely brainwashed during their education. Some of us can withstand that, a lot of us can’t.

4 Likes

Ooorah @SmilingOgre, fair, and honest assessment of the situation, and good job in working towards increasing his knowledge on that subject.

5 Likes

Oh, he heard and read the news. The kicker is that only a few mentioned the THC/Black Market link.

2 Likes