NCR RDA - The exception to the rule?

great review sir!..I’m very well aware that I have told you that already but Facebook birthday rules apply here…If I don’t write it here as well it makes me look like a wanker (more so than usual)… :rofl: :neutral_face:

Nice job brother, I really want them to get this right :ok_hand:

4 Likes

Thanks for kind words Lexie. Take note Chinese vape boffins keep working on it.

2 Likes

Cheers @Steampugs :rofl:

2 Likes

Absolutely LOVED the review!!
No forgiving remarks, just calling a spade a spade.

Well done sir. :thumbsup: Refreshing read.

4 Likes

That was pretty much what I was wondering/thinking… “I wonder if the layer of ceramic is simply too thick?!”

2 Likes

Thanks sparky. They do say in the instructions that you can use wet n’ dry sandpaper on the wafer to remove stubborn stains - i may try to thin it down a little when i do put it under the knife.

3 Likes

I’m very inclined to think that may well be the fix.
However, at the same time, I’m also concerned about “if the ceramic gets too thin, do you then risk it cracking from the excessive heat?”

Like you said, I hope with some further refinement, there lies a very promising concept within!

It’ll be interesting to see what transpires nonetheless. (I just hope it doesn’t end up an abandoned concept.)

2 Likes

What if you made it almost “Swiss cheese” and removed a bunch of the mass that is the wafer?

2 Likes

Not sure I could drill the wafer and miss the embedded wires (aside from drilling ceramic without breaking it)

2 Likes

Typically ceramic fractures. I’m guessing a high speed drill/bit would have to be used, and only in select areas…

2 Likes

I was thinking if you put a light behind it and used a diamond bit.

1 Like

It’s not any more brittle than glass. Right bit slow speed.

1 Like

The wafer is 8mm x 14mm with a distance between the wires of less than 2mm holding it and getting a 1 mm drill bit to drill accurately would be an issue

1 Like

These work very well on glass.
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/7482997240967250496?q=ceramic+drill+bit&safe=off&lsf=rt:2,seller:100446302&hl=en-us&lsft=gclid:CjwKCAiA4vbSBRBNEiwAMorER4oqxs65cXj7XN53X5Pgc8eBxzsubPJNYv_bg0B98i9xC9DfNCUIWRoCSK0QAvD_BwE&prds=oid:16635248655973532481&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiL7cWU7d3YAhWKv1MKHSE0Bq0QsIwCCAU

1 Like

You just need more practice with the angle of your dangle!

1 Like

Looking at this it appears the heating element is larger and some mass removed between the contacts on the lower ohm plate. I betting it does a better job, all bets are off as to better being good enough.

3 Likes

Yes my thoughts as well - not sure how much difference removing the mass from the bottom will make as the element heats from the top down

2 Likes

Ncr update - i have not tried the new plate that they have made but instead done a little drill bit adjustment.

The drip tip I have drilled out to 8.5 mm and i have drilled out 6 of the 12 air flow holes to 2 mm the biggest change I have made is ditching the heating plate in favour of some ss clapton wire

I took photos of the the new (can’t really call it a coil) it isn’t pretty as it was more of a proof of concept than anything but it should now be able to fulfill the role of a testing rda as these small changes have made a significant difference.

new holes

Crappy looking but effective ‘coil’ (.17 ohms). I did straighten it out a little after the picture.

8 Likes

Where do you put the cotton? Or just drip straight on coil?

Over the top like on the original (4th pic in the review)- i since changed out that one for a flat coil

3 Likes