Need Help with a Kayfun

Ok, I confess, It’s really a Chinese clone of the Lite 2019. If I could afford an authentic Kayfun right now, I would have bought it, But the simple truth is that I can’t. My problem is that mine always gurgles. I have tried building it 6 or 7 times now, and nothing changes. After I clean and build it, it first works great, and the flavor really is better than any other devise I own. But after about 1 ml. of use, it starts to gurgle constantly. I’ve looked at many videos to see if I can pick up building tips and haven’t seen this issue mentioned. Some people say that it has finicky wicking and others say it is forgiving. Every single reviewer seems to be in love with it. I’m hoping someone here has experienced this gurgling themselves and figured out how to fix it. I just want to love this devise the way everyone else seems to love theirs.

5 Likes

Gurgling typically equates to flooding.
Flooding usually means not enough cotton.

10 Likes

Not enough cotton in the coil?, or not enough cotton in the juice wells? I’m assuming you mean in the wells, but I’ve gotten in trouble often enough by assuming things.

6 Likes

yeah, in the wells.

8 Likes

Yes, sorry about that.

The deck can’t flood if the wells are sufficiently dammed. :wink:

Completely understand, and I think we all have at one point or another. lol

9 Likes

@CCS are you all set? My favorite MTLs are Kayfuns. There should be a bit of resistance in your wick pulling it back and forth in the coil. If rayon, it can be a tighter fit than cotton. If you still can’t get it right a simple wicking tutorial on youtube can help. Here’s one of many. I queued it up for you. Vic makes it quick and simple.

6 Likes

What type of wicking material are you using? Also, don’t “comb” your cotton if that’s what you are using. Also, what is your PG/VG ratio? 75% VG and 25%PG works for me but if I go 50/50 or 60/50 it will flood and therefore gurgle. I find that 70/30 usually works too.

9 Likes

Also, if it’s a clone then change out the o’rings to make sure it’s not losing pressure which will also make most MTL RTA’s flood.

9 Likes

i’ve been using 70/30 in my KF for a long time now and works fine. I just adjust the tails a bit looser than a 50/50, 60/40.

5 Likes

Good advice. I make the clone ones last as long as I can by lubing them every time I rewick. Amazing how much that can help but, yeah, they are flimsy.

6 Likes

Update
Thank you to everyone who has replied. I’m getting much closer to mastering the Kayfun. I’ve followed all of the suggestions except for changing the pg/vg ratio of my juice. My preference is for 50/50 and that works fine in my few other tanks and my Caliburn pod. I decided I didn’t want to mix differently just for one tank. I tried heavier wicking with my standard 2.5mm coils and no matter what I did it just kept flooding. I changed out O-rings and it made no difference. Finally, I tried a 3mm coil and IT WORKS! This gives me the right amount of cotton to keep everything balanced and functioning. I may continue experimenting and try to find the right wicking for 2.5mm coils, but at least I know that the tank will work for me.

6 Likes

Awesome! I am so glad you got it, man. Sometimes it takes some finagling to get it just right and once you do it is quite satisfying.
:+1:

5 Likes