Need some ELR vet's opinions/help, TFA Pie Crust

I see little to no mention of FW Pie Crust in here or the notes; has anyone given that a shot? Got my eye on it with the sales this weekend…

2 Likes

I’m working on a Lemon Meringue Pie and I used Biscuit (INW) @ 1% with Pie Crust (TPA) @ 1% and a Lemon Cookie (SC RF) @ 2% After reading this thread I might lower those …say 0.75% I was trying to make this a RealFlavors-centric recipe but the Lemon Cookie is not delivering (crust-wise) what I would expect from something like Cookie (Biscotto) (FA) [crisp cookie].

… maybe try
0.75% Biscuit (INW)
0.75% Pie Crust (TPA)
1% Cookie (Biscotto) (FA)

Any opinions on adding 0.35% - 0.50% Acetyl Pyrazine 5% (TPA) ? I would think the choice for crust ingredients would need to be paired with the pie’s filling? An old original favorite of mine is Poptart v5 where the flaky pastry is 0.8% of both Cookie (Biscotto) (FA) and Graham Cracker (Clear) (TPA) which works well and didn’t come across as a “Graham cracker crust” thing, but the GCC paired with the cookie (and some Custard) to make a nice buttery crust. Isn’t Acetyl Pyrazine a major component of GGC? …anyways Poptart v5, a tasty juice to test to find your desired crustiness.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t. Simply because I think the biscuit already has it in it. I can’t vape it at all. Tastes like sand and very grainy to me. The biscuit that is.

2 Likes

For me tfa pie crust will ruin a recipe depending on what your going for! If used above 2./. It’ll destroy your mix! That’s my opinion but ya! I made a lmp recipe and had it at 3 and yuck actually tossed it! Now 1.5 is as high as I’ll go with it. I too am curious about the other pie crust flavors from other vendors please lmk opinions on them!

5 Likes

LmMFao. Uhhhhhhh yeah. Try SF testing it at 4 or God forbid 6%!!! You wanna talk “ruined”…?

Definitely one of the exceptions to the TFA testing percentages rule of thumb that I generally use!

4 Likes

I know rite lol it should be FA crust lol. I wanna try fw pie crust one of these days to see the difference it would be nice to get a more authentic pie crust flavor I’m talking like a cheap pilsbury crust that’s what I need lol! :blush: Also I get no pie crust flavor from it either kind of a strange flavor can’t put a finger on it!

2 Likes

Oh dear God Pie Crust, I’m sorry Galactic is right. I find it putrid, but I have good reason, I find concentrates that use Furfural to be astringent, and tasting like Kerosene, same with Brown Sugar Extra (Furfural<5 methyl>). I have had to stay away from those containing it because it just overloads my senses in an awful way.

4 Likes

brown, sweet, woody, bready, nutty, caramellic with a burnt astringent nuance… I mean dear God how is burnt astringent nuance appealing. Shudder*

7 Likes

Thx @Silhouette now that you mentioned this it’s spot on astringent mixed with flour lol

1 Like

If you haven’t tried it yet, I did pick up Purilum’s Strawberry Biscuit a few months back, and just mixed with it a few weeks ago… (OK, maybe a bit longer… Pretty sure it was before the release of the new branding. Anyways… )

I mixed two 15ml testers, one at 4% the other at 6%.(I’m hitting the bottom of both the last few days…)

It’s very well balanced at 6% to me, but needs some butter added, and maybe even add apple butter in addition (can you see my southern roots yet?).

But at 4%…the biscuit seems much more prominent in the mix. The reason I’m mentioning this is because if it was dropped to 1-2%, I’m thinking there’s a chance the strawberry could be made to “dissappear” (or at least masked) in a mix!
Even if it can’t be hidden, it should be minimal enough to not be a distraction…

I haven’t tested this idea though yet. It’s going to be awhile before I get the chance to of someone’s feeling froggy…then by all means, please share your results/opinions once it’s been tested!

4 Likes

It sounds like a flavoring I would like to have regardless lol it just plain sounds good add some golden butter to it and some other stuff and wham pimping lmao thx for this!

2 Likes

Well, since there was little to no information out there, I went ahead and tried the FW Pie Crust in this recipe;

Good GOD! What an awful concoction. Seems like it would work well on paper, but after a month of steeping, it tastes like tree branches. I don’t mean that metaphorically; I mean it literally tastes like a tree branch pie. So gross…

Anyone else out there have any experience with FW Pie Crust? Maybe I should try it lower because, ew…

8 Likes

I have to say, your description is EPIC!!! Reminds me of when I tried tpa’s green apple orchard. It tasted like the dirt from the orchard, but definitely not a taste I wanted to ever have in my mouth ever again.
[edited, autocorrect thought I meant tea’s!]

4 Likes

I am sorry to bump up this very old thread but being that two years has passed since the last reply I wondered if there are any new pie crust flavours on the market that are actually decent? I absolutely abhor flavours that contain Furfural and/or Cyclotene and TPA Pie Crust was one of the worst offenders for it,that flavour and their RY4D makes me shudder at the thought of them. So has anyone found anything new about or another way of creating a pie crust flavour that actually tastes good please?

4 Likes

You never have to apologize for bumping an old thread, when you have legitimate questions and the topic applies!

Not labeled as such (to my knowledge currently), but there are ones with potential to help with certain aspects.

FA Zeppola is one that has some bready aspects to it that I like, so is Deep Fried Pastry Dough (SC) (WF). Unfortunately, I’ve strayed into other directions since, so I don’t have the time under the belt with these flavors to offer any insightful advice other than to say that “they may be worth a shot for you”.

I’m interested in seeing the replies you get as well, so thank you for bumping it!

5 Likes

Contrary to its name Fa Apple Pie is very little apple and a very good crust. I am not sure on the exact make up as the ingredient lists are not as comprehensive as TPA

apple%20pie

7 Likes

Thank you for your kind words and for your advice,I was a bit worried that I might be doing wrong for bumping such an old thread. I have both of those flavours and I like Zepola but I have yet to try the Deep Fried Pastry Dough as I’ve only just bought it. I will have a play around with those to see what I can come up with.

3 Likes

I also have this flavour but I haven’t used it or single flavour tested it yet but I will do tonight,thank you for your help,much appreciated.
I was looking at the notes section on ELR and saw OOO has a pie crust but there aren’t many reviews about it.

3 Likes

anywhere from .75 to 1 works well with a dark steep on Pie Crust. Its just a delicate compound and gets knocked by almost anything.

Apple Pie from cap can help as others have said

3 Likes

Thank you @Digbys and thanks to all that helped me out.:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes