Needed to Vent!

I can totally empathize @authormichellehughes.
Back in my military days when I was stationed aboard an aircraft carrier (USS Saratoga CV-60) cold water showers were all too common. And sea water can be really damn cold!

On top of that, the ship’s ‘salt water evaporator intakes’ (for converting to fresh water) would occasionally suck up jet fuel (cuz we had jets) that somehow made it’s way into the water. As such, not only did we suffer through cold water showers, but jet fuel-infused cold water showers as well! :nauseated_face:

6 Likes

Potable water has to be a clean source. It either comes from the city you live in or a well drilled deep enough to reach ground water.
Either way it sounds like the pipe is not buried deep enough. If it was freezing for a couple of days the ground froze. With the ground freezing it lifted the pipe and under stress it broke. It’s call ground heave.
There are zoning codes for different parts of the US. Florida is 12" I believe. Up North, Michigan, Illinois, ect, foundation footings and pipe should be buried 42" or deeper. It is the level where the ground is not expected to freeze below.
If you have the money have them bury the pipe at least a foot deeper than it is.

7 Likes

Did you hike the whole trail?

4 Likes

Okay I’m not complaining at all anymore after that!

4 Likes

If i lived in Bama I would come fix it

7 Likes

We’re good to go for the moment, but thank you for the thought @fidalgo_vapes

I would love to bury the pipe again but if you saw how far it ran you’d understand why that’s not a possibility anymore @rcleven but it definitely would be the most optimal choice

4 Likes

Hey, just glad you’re getting it fixed. What a relief! The smell? Set the sink on fire :rofl: !

5 Likes

You a pipe fitter?

3 Likes

No but I do maintenance at a Bed and Breakfast that im buying…Been in the Flooring industry for 20 plus years …i can do almost everything when it comes to building except Electrical…I hate electrical

8 Likes

No problem, I call it “paint by colors”. Just match the wires by color and you’re good. Wanna visit sometime? :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Where do you live ??? I can do simple electrical , but anything more than that I leave to proffesionals lol…

4 Likes

In a match by color coded house on the outskirts of Boston. No fires yet, just floods :rofl:

4 Likes

This place has been worked on by 1000 differnt people so it’s tough to get things right … Ive put a lot of time and sweat into this place

6 Likes

Agreed. I’ve changed out light fixtures and replaced shorted outlets but when I tried to add an outlet box and couldn’t find the junction I left a hole in the wall :rofl: and covered it with a plate.

3 Likes

Gosh, no! :wink: That was my dream at one time… but, nah… just put in at places along the AT for weeks at a time.

3 Likes

Im putting in hot tub at the inn , but by law I have to have electricion plug into hot tub and junction plus it needs a separate disconnect so im doing everything but that…1000 dollara to have electricion do a couple hours of work … And im doing the trench 21inches deep running conduit and wires etc…

4 Likes

Then I hope you can retire there and enjoy your hard earned efforts.

4 Likes

ROFLMAO don’t tempt me!

3 Likes

Right, you do all the hard lifting while he gets $500 per hour. I’ve had gas oven/clothes dryer installers tell and show me it’s not that hard. I’m amazed at what a license can bring. But all in all, I’m not complaining. I’ve had some good contractors (along with the bad).

3 Likes

Tjats the ultimate plan…

3 Likes