New DIY guy here, critique my recipe

Hi all. Would like to get some suggestions on this recipe.
Banana Pudding Cheesecake

I’m fairly new to to DIY mixing, although I’ve been gaping for a while now. So yes, I’ve got a couple of so called “premium” juices in my rotation. I based the initial rough draft off of research and the average/median uses in recipes that I came across. My flavor stash is pretty much set atm and it’s available for all to see as well.

TIA for the help and suggestions.

4 Likes

If i may ask, why the DX Banana Cream? Is it because of diketones? I do think that going with TPA BC instead of LA BC was a good move, i prefer to use LA BC with fruits and TPA with heavy creams and some bakery stuff. But the difference between the DX and regular TPA BC is pretty noticeable and not in a good way. The DX seems pretty heavy in butyric acid, a bit too much for me.

I havent used Ripe Banana in a very long time but i remember using it well under 1% back when i used a ProTank 2 mini so i would use it even lower today. I consider it more of an additive, an enhancer. Using it at low percentages to boost another banana.

I havent grabbed that cheesecake yet. Any thoughts on it?

7 Likes

To be honest, I’d talked to a few people around here and the DX Banana Cream was suggested. I was aware of TPA’s version, but opted to go the other way (we’ll see before too long).

I think you’re spot on as far as the Ripe Banana is concerned. Another member from here suggested it as you did (additive/enhancer). May consider a little lower that 1%, but no higher.

The INW Cheesecake was another toss up. I got.my order from BCF (excellent CS btw). If talked with someone their previously and also, I’ve been hearing good things about it.

I figure this to be a “learning process” and I’ll be sure to post what happens with both flavors.
Any other thoughts?

3 Likes

Ive been mixing for a few years now, one would think that they would know everything at this point but i learn something new each time i try a new flavor combo or flavoring. The learning part is what sucks you down the rabbit hole, be careful, hehe.

You have a lot of creams in there, they may not all play nicely together so my first thoughts are on reducing the mix and eliminating some components. Something like this:

Banana Pudding Cheesecake

2.25% DX Banana Cream (TPA)
0.50% Graham Cracker v1 (CAP)
0.25% Ripe Banana (TPA)
1.00% Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP)
2.00% Vanilla Pudding (Flavorah)
2.50% Yes, We Cheesecake YC (INAWERA)

Flavor total: 8.5%

Like i said i dont know about the INW Cheesecake so i dont think i can give any further input, not without tasting it first. Depending on its “mouth feel” and creaminess you could even consider dropping the custard completely. But considering that most companies are dropping out the diketones the custard may be necessary.

1 Like

Come to think of it, I could’ve been looking at a steep time longer than I wanted, especially with all the creams. Definitely something to consider and I like “look” of what you presented also.

1 Like

One of my absolute favorite cheesecake flavorings is Lorann Cheesecake. I have used it in hundreds of mixes. It is a plain, sweet cheesecake with no crust. Kind of like a no bake cheesecake, not so much a cheesy cheesecake, more of a cheesecake pudding type thing.

It allows one to use what ever graham they choose, adds mouthfeel and sweetness. It is likely what i would use instead of or in combo with the cheesecake you have. Just something to keep in mind for the future.

Ill say this, i rarely make the same cheesecake mix twice, not because i dont like the mixes but because there are so many freakin possibilities.

3 Likes