NEW NomNomz Super Concentrates (Super Charged) Reviewed by SessionDrummer -- Testing Now!

Custard Cake (SC) (Nomz) 1.5% (2-17-24) – I knew I was going to cut this one in the line, and couldn’t wait any longer. In a nutshell this one was a BANGING flavor. Period, hands down, full stop. BUT, hehe, there was a but. The “buts” were that I only got some cake from it, and not a lot of custard from it. BUT, what I did get was a mashup of a light Yellow Cake, Biscuit, Graham Cracker, and either a Cream or possibly a light Vanilla Pudding. YEAH, that’s what I got. This one (like a previously tested flavor) was similar in style to Lucky Shot, in so much that it was a bakery mashup, with a TON of uses.

The yellow cake was lighter in the mix, but did have some baking soda notes (excellent), the biscuit favored JF’s Biscuit, with hints of INW Biscuit, the Graham Cracker was just an approximation with no direct comparison, and then the Custard (Cream ?). It was clearly in there, fattening up the mix and adding a creamy smoothness, but I never got an overt “Custard” from it. Maybe a cream, maybe a light vanilla pudding. Now maybe I am/was looking at this wrong as a cake smothered in Custard, as opposed to a yellow cake with custard baked in ?? Either way, I’ll knock it down a point, but ONLY a point just for the custard confusion, but it was too damned delicious to deduct any more. On flavor alone, I WOULD release the Kraken for a 10/10, BUT, with the slight “where’s da custard” I’ll reluctantly place this at 9.0/10. Almost a one-shot, big bottle approved, TONS of uses.

14 Likes

My family always made Custard Cakes (real ones obviously) using custard powder in the actual cake batter. Myself, I prefer to get a nice rich yellow cake and drown it in fresh, thick, eggy custard… perhaps why I am a diabetic? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

7 Likes

Mint Cream (SC) (Nomz) 1.5% (2-18-24) – It’s NO secret that I’m not a huge fan of mints (or cooling), but THIS one, I liked. Wow, what an interesting idea, approach, and implementation. It’s like NomNomz decided to make a Mint, for people who might not love da mints !!! The mint profile was very accurate, clean, and natural tasting, with maybe a hint-o-peppermint, but couldn’t be sure. The slight cooling I got wasn’t off-putting to me at all BECAUSE, of the deliciously paired cream. The cream here, was more than just a simple cream/creamery, it was almost like a Werther’s hard Butterscotch candy, BUT, without the butterscotch. So simply just calling it a “cream” didn’t seem close enough. The pairing of both the mint and “cream” was perfect, such that neither ran over the other, while both being present. At 1.5% it was spot on, delicious, and full, and I could not find a single off-note or complaint, and this is coming from the NOT Mint Guy. While not overly complex, it tasted like it should, and could actually be solo’d, which is a growing trend with these NomNomz SC’s. Having a hard time putting this one down, and leaving it very high at a 9.8/10.

14 Likes

Damn so far NomZ is killing it. So many good flavors. I’ll wait to see your review of Nomz Raspberry Wafer. It’s a good one!!

6 Likes

@McDuckie you’ve tried it ?? Do you post any of your notes ?

1 Like

Pecan Nut (SC) (Nomz) 1.5% (2-18-24) – 100% of my previous Pecan testing has always been in the “Butter Pecan” realm, so this one was a first. Out of the gate, there was no mistaking this as a “nut” flavor. There WERE some great Pecan notes in there, but they weren’t consistent, nor the star of the show. What pecan notes I did get were fairly natural, with a darker, earthier tone that helped sell them. But, as mentioned previously, they came and went. Whiel nowhere near a “creamed” flavor, there was a certain creamy-ness TO it, with some mid-level sweetness. This one might work better as a nut mixer or baser, as opposed to a main Pecan note. What was there was great, just maybe not enough of it. The most consistent profile, nutty/earthy was very interesting, and would be either a love or hate profile, and because it stayed in the “nutty” range, I didn’t take off too much for it, but more of the "not Pecan 100% of the time. It felt like it was 60-65% of the way there, so leaving this earthy lil’ nutter at a 6.5/10.

11 Likes

Yes I’ve tried it. And yes I have and will share my notes. I’ll wait and compare notes once you have tried it. I don’t want to disrupt your testing process.

7 Likes

Hehe, roger that.

I am ALWAYS pulled to the Raspberries, so I didn’t want to just DIVE into them.

I was happy to see how MANY they did.

3 Likes

They definitely did a good job with the raspberry wafer. I’m still messing with the Whiskey (Cream) it’s a strange one. It does have a creaminess and a whiskey vibe, though it’s unlike any of the whiskeys I’ve ever tried. It’s got a lot of potential. I’ve just gotta find its sweet spot.

6 Likes

Thank-you @SessionDrummer for testing this. I love this Mint Cream for all the reasons you mentioned. It worked so well in my Nanaimo Noel recipe and with no fading issues. My bottle I’ve had for a couple years now is just about out. I’m so happy that this flavor will be continued. Thanks so much for your review on this. :sunflower:

4 Likes

You’re very welcome @TakeMeToTheSea, and I have to admit (again), that the Mint Cream surprised me. That I liked it surprised me even more. :slight_smile:

Pairing that to chocolates was the FIRST thought that I had. That looks REALLY tasty.

4 Likes

Cherry (SC) (Nomz) 1.5% (2-18-24) – To this day, I still get anxious when testing new cherries, as many offer up healthy doses of soaps, perfrumes, florals, even medicines. Guess what ?? Not THIS ONE !!! Nope, nadda, zip. I even torture tested this one for you guys (at the end of the review). OK, this one was a damned delicious RED Cherry, that was surprisingly below mid-level sweet, with NO off-notes. Very accurate, clean, and RED were the big three here. Trying to nail down exactly the cherry comparisons was tough, BUT, it tasted like 50% maraschino, 35% cherry juice, and 15% cherry Jello. Now that’s an over simplification but you get the idea. At 1.5% it was good enough to not want to increase it, and it was a natural/artificial split, and ball parking it at 50/50 felt good.

The lower than mid-level sweetness was a surprise, and I wondered if adding a few drops would help or hurt, but I didn’t. It was soo good and tasty, with no off-notes, I HAD TO crank it, because SURELY it would blow up, right ? NOPE. Doubled it to 3.0%, and still, it did NOT go sideways. Clearly that was PAST the ceiling, BUT, no florals, soaps, medicines, none. So, it is a very friendly Cherry to work with. 1.5% should really be the solo limit for your sanity. Now it was a complex cherry with the big 3 profiles I listed above, and at times I did get some Compote notes, but it was absent of any Black Cherry notes, leaving it squarely in the Red red camp. There was just a smidge of tartness on the finish to help round it out, but only a smidge. Color me impressed. If you want a red maraschino-ish medley-ed cherry, with cherry juice notes, and a hint-o-cherry jello, this one will work for you. I don’t think it was perfect, but it was getting REALLY close. Leaving it at a very cherry 9.75/10.

13 Likes

Biscuit (Buttery) (SC) (Nomz) 1.5% (2-19-24) – This one was a strange one out of the gate, and at first I thought I had borked the mix up. Re-mixed it, and YUP, it is what it is. What it was, was a rather mish-moshy sweetened, bakery, with some biscuit, some cookie, maybe even a loose graham all mashed up. In comparison to the other biscuits I’ve tried from NomNomz (and Chefs), this one never really took shape, and/or took off. At 1.5% (and other percentages), it was full enough, and was just below mid-level sweet, and there were no offensive notes, just not a clearly defined “biscuit” or even “butter”. It probably had some butter in there, but most times something is billed as a “butter” it’s got THE BUTTER coming at you. Sadly I could not see this pulling the “biscuit” freight, and would be perfect as a mixer/baser in bakeries, etc., but not the main note. Not terrible, but it just never really came into focus, and it felt like a “fiver”. Leaving this one at a 5.0/10.

13 Likes

Milkshake (Strawberry) (SC) (Nomz) 1.5% (2-19-24) – From the start this one tasted like it was 80% of the way there. The Milkshake profile was there, BUT, it was also kind of “milky”, and it felt trapped in between a shake and milk. The strawberry was mostly artificial, and while good, lacked a little bit of punch that would have helped it POP on the finish. It was plenty full @ 1.5%, and didn’t feel like it needed to be increased, and it was a few ticks below mid-level sweet. Mouthfeel was fairly present, but felt like it could be increased just a bit, along with the “shake” notes. All in, this could easily be tweeked, and while not terrible, it just felt like it needed a little help. In keeping with the 80%, finalized this one at a 8.0/10. Tasty, just not complete.

10 Likes

Because @McDuckie said the Wafer (SC) (Nomz) was better than the Wafer (CSC), how does Biscuit (Buttery) (SC) (Nomz) compare to Biscuit (Buttery) (CSC)? Same question for Milkshake (Strawberry) (SC) (Nomz) to Milkshake, Strawberry (CSC). When I asked Richard from Nomz if Red Berries (SC) (Nomz) was the same as Red Fruits (CSC), he said yes, so I assumed all the (SC) (Nomz) flavors were the same as the old (CSC) flavors.

3 Likes

From what Sd says in his review it sounds a lot like the original Chefs biscuit (butter) which was not very good it had some biscuit attributes but lacked the whole buttery taste.
As for the CSC Wafer and Nomz Wafer they have same taste and flavor Nomz just turned it up a few notches. It tastes better because it has more presence. I was also hoping that they would have improved the Biscuit (Speculoos) though it’s still lacking that dark brown sugar (molasses) flavor that the CSC version needed. The CSC Biscuit (shortbread) was really good anyway so hopefully it didn’t change. I made a good Biscoff with CSC Biscuit Shortbread, FA Ceylon Cinnamon, WF Molasses, and FLV Caramel. I bet it would be even better with some ssa Caramel biscuit tossed in.

6 Likes

Thank you for explaining the differences. Sounds like I need to add Wafer (SC) (Nomz) to my cart even though I already have Wafer (CSC).
Can’t wait to see your recipe for Biscoff.

3 Likes

I can’t answer that @KC111 I am not testing any duplicates, or flavors that I already tested under the Chefs name. These are all new flavors to me, and cannot compare to the old.

Well here, things are getting a little twisted. You just gave an example where the same flavor, was re-named (slightly albeit), which adds to the confusion.

Well I’ve seen @McDuckie’s response, sounds like the same flavor, but a bit stronger maybe ?? Not sure.

I too was under the assumption that the old flavors were unchanged, and flying under a new banner name. Except for the Red Berries/Red Fruits I dont know if any others were named changed or not.

@KC111 As I’m posting my notes for these on the recipe side, I see your notes up on a few of them, mostly just “30ml” but have you tried them yet ? Do you have both the old and new version to compare ?

4 Likes

@KC111 sounds like we’re going to put you on the spot finally, and you can compare/contrast them.

2 Likes

Nope, it is still sitting in the box, along with all the other “new” flavors by different brands. I need to go through my stash and remove flavors I will likely never use to make room for the new flavors.

And here I am trying to avoid buying duplicate flavors, LOL.

2 Likes