Newbie rba/ rta help!

Hey folks!! Im interested in starting to make my own coils, etc but ive only ever owned two vapes- rpm80 pro and smok fortis. Ive recently started making my own juice- i live in upstate ny and regulations are super tight on literally everything vape. Cant even have coils sent here anymore… shops are way too expensive and far away so im wondering if you all can help me. Im interested in learning if theres a tank that will fit my fortis and whatever else i will need to know before starting this adventure. Ive already researched coil building kits and think i fairly understand that, except ohms and whatnot… so suggestions for a good tank to atart with, good cotton, wire etc… also dont know why multiple coils are recommended… okay this could probably go on forever… im sure any and all of you who first started out were on this same path so just any advice you can give would be amazing!!! Thanks in advance!!!

4 Likes

The best advice as I can give, since you’ve used RPMs before, is to not over complicate things and go with a simple single coil RTA… I am not sure what’s out there for single coil RTAs these days, but china offers a lot of options in the past and I’m sure nothing has changed.

Things required are wire, a jig of sorts and cotton… Jigs are pretty handy but not required, you can use a single screw driver with a 2.5 opening and it works well. Wire cutters work, however when I first started I used Nail Clippers because back then I was still flexible to chew my toenails, they work great. There are plenty of guides on line, youtube in particular.

5 Likes

I looked up the Smoke Fortis and I see it being sold as a kit with the Smoke TFV18 Mini RTA. Smok has good tanks. A different company called Wotofo made an RBA to fit the TFV18 tank turning it into a rebuildable. The TFV18 RBA head also works with the TFV16 RTA Tank as well. I don’t know if this RBA fits the Mini tanks. Another problem with this is I don’t see anyone that has them in stock. I just glanced at a couple of Chinese vape sellers since they will ship to your state and they label packages so they don’t indicate vape supplies. I Iooked at Fast tech, 3aVape, and 3fvape. You can try Sourcemore and HeavensGifts.

Any other RTA with a 510 connection (most all of them nowadays) will work just figure out what diameter works on the Fortis. It looks like it might take up to a 30mm. A review says it’s 29mm up top and absolutely flat.

5 Likes

Also with a 21700 battery you can use dual coils RTA’s for direct lung vaping. You only have 100 Watts to work with so whatever you do shoot for coils totaling 0.27 to 0.45 resistance and you should get good vape with acceptable battery life. Coils in parallel are half of the single coil resistance. A 0.6 Ohm coil when two are used together in parallel will Ohm out at 0.3 Ohms.

Use Steam engine or Android Vape Tool to calculate what resistance you coil will be before you build them. You list wire type, wire gauge, inside diameter of coils, number of wraps, etc. and you will know what you will end up with should you decide to twist that coil. You can play around with adding or deleting wraps, trying different wire gauges and/or wire types, and different coil diameters.

4 Likes

Oh and don’t get scared off by technical talk. You could just buy a rebuildable tank and ask here what wire to buy and if someone will design coils for you. Then we can just tell you, buy a spool of 24 Guage Stainless steel 316L wire. Wrap it 5 times around a screwdriver that measures 3.0 millimeters when you hold a ruler to it. Set mod at 55Watts. And whatever else to get you going with building your own coils.

4 Likes

We could give you better ideas if you told us what type of airflow and wattage you prefer. Also what type/flavors of juices you use as well as pg/vg ratios. On YouTube the annoying riptrippers has excellent coil building and wicking tutorials. I’ll link one for you. Give us more details about your vape style and we can help you pick a good 1st rta to play with. Personally I’d suggest starting with single coil top air rtas.

5 Likes

riptrippers coil building 101 is the title of the video. For some reason yt wouldn’t let me copy the video.

4 Likes
4 Likes