Nic life expectancy?

Hi ,

Recently started making my own juice…first batches went well, good taste and clouds.
I got all my stuff around a month ago, got 100ml of 72% nic and just store it in a dark cool place, not a freezer like I’ve seen suggested.
Last batch seemed off? I’m thinking the nics gone off already…is it possible?
Flavour seemed muted and juice just tasted weird…
Any thought much appreciated

Yellow

2 Likes

Or could it just have been a nic hotspot?
I did give it a shake before I mixed it, possibly not enough?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have thought the nic has gone off already, especially as it’s in a cool, dark place. As for hotspots - it would likely have blown your head off and made you feel quite sick.

Did you make up the same recipe or a different one? What type of recipe was it?

4 Likes

Hi Lolly,

Ive been using the hisenberger recipe from the forum.
I had tweeked the menthol, raspberry and koolada just to give it a little more, and had ran probably 80ml through my tank…all was good.

I made a 60ml batch up, and it just tasted wrong…lacked in flavour and possibly a little peppery…

I binned that mix and did another 30ml batch last night…seems to be a little better but as im using the cleito120 ill need to let a tank or 2 run through the coil

2 Likes

Hmmmm…interesting! Maybe it was a baby hotspot? That could explain the peppery note? Keep us posted!

2 Likes

Like I say, it may be down to not shaking the nic just quite enough.
rather than the massive hotspot you described which would be nasty nasty, it may be a baby one…who knows :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This makes me wonder if you might be using to much menthol and/or koolada…
You should also make sure that you always shake the crap out of that Nic before using it to avoid any hotspots in the mix. Is the Nic 72mg PG or 72mg VG?

6 Likes

72mg VG

you may be right Norseman…I guess its a learning curve

1 Like

Nic in VG needs more of a shake than Nic in PG.
So just make sure to shake the crap out of that Nic before using it the next time.

4 Likes

To be fair when I bought my PG,VG and Nic I thought I had ordered PG nic…obviously pressed the wrong button.

I need to order some more nic so I don’t get stung by tpd regs so will order PG next time

1 Like

You better hurry to get that Nic, TPD will be in the works from May 20 just so you know and from that date we will only be able to get 18mg Nic in 10ml bottles. Not much time to stock up on things.

4 Likes

I agree and disagree with @Lolly :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: You wouldn’t nessisairly get sick. I did it once; not properly shaking 100mg nic suspended in pg. I didn’t shake it well and f’ed up a 10 mixes.

I wouldnt say it wasnt a full in hot spot. But my mixes were muted and junked up. I thought the nic had gone slightly bad. Figured I would mix everything with no nic and add nic just prior to vaping after the steep. But then it then I got lazy…went right back to mixing and guessed that I didn’t shake the nic well since nice after that everything was vaping fine.

Turned out everything after that was fine and acknowledged that I didn’t shake the hell out of my nic. Therefore you need to shake nic like your trying to shake the devil out of it. Lol. I’ve never had a problem since. And that was along time ago.

3 Likes

Depending on different flavors I use, I sometimes get harshness of my juices, which usually fasdes when steeping long enough. It’s easy to think that the moment you get harshness, it must be your nic.

I have a 150ml 72mg nic bottle that I keep in the fridge (cool and dark). With the TPD, I stocked up on 2 liters nic to last me a couple years, which I store in the freezer. 150ml gets me through a year, so whenever needed, I’ll unfreeze a bottle and top up the 150ml one and then refreeze the rest of the nic. Always shake well after taking it out of the fridge (even more so with VG based nic) and make sure the bottle is nicely cleaned before putting back in the fridge next to food.

Besides having bad nic or specific flavoring, harshness can come as well from a badly cleaned bottle, your VG or PG. They’re less likely to go bad, but contamination can be a problem.
Also, how do you steep your juice? Do you give it a hot bath? If you do, try doing it before you add the nic to your mix.
Using frothers to mix a juice with nic isn’t advised either. You’re exposing the nic to a lot more air and will oxidize faster. I prefer to just shake my juice very well, put it in the steeping drawer.and give it enough time with a good shake every or every other day.

1 Like

I’ve got a bottle of nic that’s been sitting for 4 months, absolutely no change.

Maybe one of your flavorings went off?

When you quit smoking, your taste buds go through a zone of change that is hard to explain but things will taste different. I also have a time of day (3:00PM) where all of my vape taste funny. I think it’s a blood sugar thing but it’s noticeable.

Could it be a coil going bad? Are you vaping too much or have too high of a concentration of nic in the mix? When I hear pepper, I think the nic is too high. I’ve had plenty of distracted accidents. (Phone call, door bell…come back and not remember if I put Strawberry in it or not)

1 Like

Yeah, I easily forget whether I put something in or not, so I have a fool-proof system. I put everything on 1 side that I need for a recipe. Once added, I put the bottle on the other side.
So whoever barges in or tries to disturb me, won’t interfere with my ingredients :smiley:

Getting old lol

4 Likes

I do exactly the same :+1: :grin:

2 Likes

I always add nic as my last step. All at this once. I mix up on average 14 recipes. Once the flavors and pg/vg is done I clear everything off the counter. Then I shake the hell out of my nic. Then dispense the nic in one shot. Only takes a few minutes (5-10) at that point (the bottles do get grouped in has nic to needs nic…one to the left and one to the right).

3 Likes

Yeah, i was told to use nic first because “if you use too much, you can still adjust your flavors or throw it out”. But you can say that about any ingredient so now I do it last too.
Always shake nic, but also your flavors. Flavors consist out of different ingredients as well and they can separate too, or with the odd flavor, you can see that crystals start to form after a while. If that happens, you can warm it up a little and they should liquefy again. But besides your VG and PG (which should be pure), shake everything well before use.

1 Like

i keep my nics inside my closet… i don’t refrigerate them too…

as long there’s no sunlight or heat around and the bottles are well capped nic stays well… at least for me…
never had the slightest problem… refrigerating nic is optional at least imho and not a must (just think that in vape stores, they get tonz of nic bottles and they never refrigerate them or whatever… they just hold them away from sun and heat… no special precautions etc…)

probably your recipe failed somewhere, steeping time wasn’t enough, or you changed something… :slight_smile: if you have any other info to give about it would be nice to know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Weird can be a hard thing to nail down, but one thing is for sure, if you don’t freeze your NIC, it will oxidize MUCH faster.