Nicotine Base color

Hi, i made a diy liquid today and the nicotine had an amber hue.Is it physical?

4 Likes

It usually means that your nic have oxidized. It usually would be harsher than normal. More throat hit.

5 Likes

@chkontog where and how are you storing your nicotine ?

4 Likes

That’s how it came to me from the store.

4 Likes

Contact your supplier (store?) and let them know your nic arrived oxidized. They should replace it if they are reputable.

3 Likes

I contacted them and they told me,they would send me more.

4 Likes

@chkontog welcome here this is a very nice place

4 Likes

All three sources cited in this PubChem molecular profile mention yellow and/or brown color hues.

Wikipedia information: Nicotine is a hygroscopic, colorless to yellow-brown, oily liquid …

2. CHEMICAL REACTIONS WITH OTHER SUBSTANCES
Nicotine as an alkaline solution will experience a change of color from clear to light yellow to red during the mixing process with other acidic substances.

Source: https://blog.hiliq.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/4444_06-1024x577.jpg

Observation (test date: 2015.9.14 - 2015.12.1):
In the picture, we can see that bottle A contains nicotine diluted into VG and on the right side we can see it is diluted in PG. Both were kept in the same experimental environment for two months - We can see the color of the nicotine diluted into VG is more yellowish than the one diluted in PG. Therefore, VG reacts with nicotine more easily and accelerates its oxidation process faster. In this note, we highly recommend using PG when diluting nicotine and storing them properly.

Source: https://blog.hiliq.com/factors-involved-in-nicotine-discoloration/

Nicotinic acid, oxynicotine, nicotyrine, cotinine, and myosmine have been isolated and identified from the oxidation products of nicotine by aeration at 30 °C.

Methylamine and Ammonia were detected from oxidizing Nicotine. The “odor threshold” (see page 94) of Ammonia is 46.8 ppm, but it is only 0.021 ppm for Methylamine (a factor of 2,229 less) - and a mere 0.00021 ppm for Trimethylamine. Thus, (sometimes mentioned) “fishy odor” when Nicotine is warmed.

About darkening effects when Nicotine is mixed into e-juices:
https://www.blacknote.com/eliquid-turning-dark-how-to-avoid/

3 Likes

Personally I use nic even when it gets a darker color. Only if it begins tasting harsh (which it will eventually) will I discard it. Otherwise - vapey vapey.

7 Likes

My nic base seemed to turn left pink almost af soon as I cracked the seal open, though being in a white bottle I hadn’t checked the tinted before opening it.

Still tastes like god-awful 100mg/mL though, with a little knuckle-tongue-dab test.

1 Like

*light pink

3 Likes

What Brand is it CNT ?? Even Nic Select has the slighteste pink hue but its clear

4 Likes

Ahh, store branded I spose, from Vapoureyes.

It’s perfectly clear, just a slight pinkish hint.

2 Likes

Where would u dispose of bad nic.?

3 Likes

The kitchen sink, of course der :roll_eyes:

Or over the fence in your neighbor’s garden.

2 Likes

No… u can’t do tht, it’s poison

3 Likes

Ooooh right yeah of course :smirk:

2 Likes