Nicotine % in Recipe

HI Gang
I think i screw up on a mix ! I have a 100 Ml bottle of 4.8% nicotine that sais 60MG/Ml and i am mixing a 90 Ml bottle how mush nicotine should be in the recipe to have 4.8 %.
My recipe is for 40/60

Thanks

Moka

1 Like

Hi and welcome to ELR.
Can I assume you’re talking about 48mg/100ml and you’re mixing for a MTL or pod system? Otherwise you’re probably going to make yourself very sick…

You should use the calculator on the recipe side www.e-liquid-recipes.com and have it do the work for you. What’s missing in your info is the VG/PG ratio of your nicotine base… but going from 6% to 4.8% isn’t much of a dilution. You may have to compromise on your VG/PG ratio.

3 Likes

@Moka
Hope you can make sense out of this.

On the Left is: 48mg/mL nicotine which is 4.8% Nicotine
On the Right is: 100mg/mL nicotine which is 10% Nicotine

Any Nicotine at that high of a percent will need to be diluted down, since I only vape 3mg/mL now, which is 0.3% Nicotine. Below is a sample of what I would use for a recipe when I use the 48mg/mL Nicotine base.

Click to enlarge the photo… Good luck!

4 Likes

20190914_195033%5B1%5D|281x500

Thanks For getting Back to me everyone . .

Yes i am mixing for a small Pod system and I am using the calculator on this site . The bottle sais PG -Nicotine 4.8% and 60 Mg/Ml this is a 100 Ml Bottle. I am posting a picture of the product and my recipe.

2 Likes

1 Like

I am looking to make 6 Mg of nicotine per 90 ml bottle or a 30 ml Bottle .
I screwed something up . I am not sure if i am using the right Nicotine base . PG vs VG

2 Likes

Here is the breakdown :frowning:

2 Likes

2 Likes

Those seem to be confilcting statements. Maybe email and double check with the Manufacturer

3 Likes

ya for sure eh !

2 Likes

Thanks Freddie3

3 Likes

Maybe the nic itself is 4.8% of the total volume. Personally I’d use 6mg in the recipe calculator rather than 4.8.

2 Likes

Ok i will try that

Thanks Letitia

3 Likes

You say you want 4.8% and in the calculator you’re using 4.8mg
It’s all a little bit confusing to me and “little mistakes” like this can be very dangerous when dealing with nicotine.
4.8% is a very high concentration of nic to vape, comparable to what is used in a Juul pod. I would personally not recommend using this unless you’re an experienced vaper who knows what he’s doing (and even then…). 4.8mg or 0.48% is what people would generally use in a subohm tank. A more common strenght would be 5mg or 6mg.

It is really important that you are clear with what you want for a result for your nic strength and not make mistakes. Maybe give it another try to explain what you want or need.

4 Likes

I have not been able to determine clearly exactly what the OP desires to achieve (or I have simply not understood as intended). There was some mention of volume as opposed to weight measures. For (any possible) reference, here are densities (“specific gravities”) of various components (at ~25 *C temp):

100% Pure Nicotine [in free base form] - 1.01 gram / ml (or alternatively, 0.99 ml / gram)

PG - 1.036 gram / ml (or alternatively, 0.956 ml / gram)

VG - 1.26 gram / ml (or alternatively, 0.794 ml / gram)

2 Likes

Take a look at the label posted and the reason for the confusion is apparent.

3 Likes

The labeling just plain does not make sense. The only thing not shown in your picture of the labels is the volume of the solution. Nevertheless, however, it makes no reasonable sense (60 mg/ml vs 4.8%).

Whenever specifications appear to fall short of that advertised, I would default to the lower number (which implies ~ 48 mg/ml concentration). A small difference in density (between Nicotine and Propylene Glycol at ~25 *C temperature) exists, but it is rather small (Nicotine = 1.01 g/ml, and Propylene Glycol = 1.036 g/ml) on a percentage basis. I would contact the (Canadian) manufacturer, and ask them what the real story is.

3 Likes

I strongly disagree. When the labeling does not make sense, you take it back to the supplier and demand a refund, which you can spend at a proper supplier who does care about accuracy for dangerous products.

3 Likes

Dang, i didn’t notice … hadn’t had my cup a joe yet. Thanks for the clarification.

3 Likes

OK. Assume it to be the higher number of 60 mg/ml, or contact the manufacturer, or throw a hissy-fit. :nerd_face:

2 Likes