Nicotine Storage Question

I have a gallon of Nicotine. I bought it a year ago. It’s been kept in the back of my darm closet, and it’s in a black jug inside a large clear bag. I probably won’t need any from it for another 2-3 years - still have plenty broken down in my freezer.

Should I leave it in the container? Or should I break it down? I have the brown glass bottles and lids to do it, but thought it would be better to not mess with it until I’m almost out of the Nicotine.

5 Likes

Welcome and glad you joined.

3 Likes

I would break it down now. That way you can at least
check it out to make sure it’s clear and doesn’t smell too bad. If it’s good, throw it in the freezer and have peace of mind.
If it’s bad, you’ll know now to buy some more.
Don’t wait 3 years to find out it that it turned to shit.
Who knows how much the cost and the availability of nic will be in 3 years

13 Likes

Im with Pastsorfuzz…Great Advice

8 Likes

@Livvyo95 unless the “closet” portion is heavily oxidized, I would immediately break it down, and put it in the freezer. Leaving NIC in large(r) bottles, with lots of air in it, at room temperature, is going to accelerate oxidation.

5 Likes

Another thing @Livvyo95 if it’s going to be for your deep storage, or reserve, make it EASY on yourself. It’s not necessary to break NIC down into small mixing or use bottles, as you could get BIGGER bottles, 120ml, 500ml, etc., JUST to keep it away from room temperatures.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I have just finished a surplus of 100mg nicotine that was 4 years old, while I didn’t use a nic test kit, I kept it in a storage shelf and despite the last 2 brutally hot summer’s we’ve had in Canada, it wasn’t overly dark, maybe yellow(er) but not dark and no detectable smell. I’d reckon that if it’s in a basement, it’ll keep for a number equal to, if not more, depending on the freshness of the batch you’d purchased. Sadly, here in Canada it was 65mg and then tapered to 20mg, effectively making it costly and harder to achieve a decent ratio. But I still have over a liter of 65mg and expect it to last just as long

4 Likes

That is IMPRESSIVE @anon44012888. Never in the fridge or freezer, just room temp ?

2 Likes

Room temp, yeah… Like I say, oxidization from my understanding will darken it or change it’s color which it had done but as far as taste goes I didn’t notice anything. As far as degradation of nicotine concentration over those years, it would’ve been nice to use a nictest kit to see where it was sitting at after that time…

3 Likes

I didnt even think about that & just assumed it would be good.

3 Likes

I got a gallon from River Supply last year. I opened it up when I received it and it smelled like wet dirt. Also had a strong pepper taste. They eventually gave me a refund and I purchased elsewhere.
If I had waited till much later to open it and check it, I would have been shit out of luck.

3 Likes

@Livvyo95 Welcome to the forum. Glad you joined us. Sounds like you’ve gotten some good advice about breaking it down into smaller bottles. Hope that when you open it, it is still good and usable.

3 Likes

@Pastorfuzz that is a GREAT LESSON to be taught/learned. Especially if it’s your End Of Times stash supply. I always check mine ASAP, and break it down, into glass. VERY glad you caught the signs of oxidation EARLY.

4 Likes

Yea, I didn’t even think about it going bad. I didn’t know really anything. For example, I didnt know there were different mgs. The first bottle I bought (which I’m still on) was 100mg/ml. I was buying 6mg vape juice, sometimes 3mg. I was so excited when I had everything to make some juice, that I just made a couple small bottles using an app i bought for the calculator. I tried to make 6mg juice… OMG it was horrible & burned my throat so bad! I was thinking it was just the way that nicotine tasted - like how cigs have different tastes, maybe the nic does to.

Thankfully I looked at all the settings after that & found the place to input the nic strength & type lol. I only make 3mg now.

I got 16 of the larger bottles out of that. It took forever! & that one tiny bottle, that is the size I broke down the last one in. But the nic was clear & I didn’t smell anything. I’m going to make some juice with it, just to be sure.

7 Likes

7 Likes

I’ve always checked mine day 1 when I started mixing and bottled it up in 4oz amber bottles and stuck them in the freezer.
My first nic was from Vaperstek in 2018 and I just pulled a another bottle last week to start mixing and it’s still in excellent condition.
Have almost 3 liters worth of that, 4 liters of CNT, a gallons worth of MFS and 3 gallons worth of Delosi.
All 100 mg .
I’m good for a while!

5 Likes

I wasn’t the only one that had problems with that shit they were shipping people.
Many on VU had the same problem.
They were in the process of not selling nic anymore and shipped out all their crap at the end IMO.
I hope that other people who bought in the same time period opened theirs and checked it. At least 4 that I know of caught it.

5 Likes

Very nice @Livvyo95.

3 Likes

@Livvyo95 If it was reasonably clear and had no foul smell, you should be fine. Hope the juice you make works great for you. Enjoy !!

3 Likes