Nicotine % vs mg

I’m a bit confused about nicotine mg and % in the recipe creator.

Is 12mg of nicotine equal to 12%?
or
12mg of nicotine equal to 1.2%

5 Likes

GREAT questions @joberru. 12mg = 1.2%.

Vaping360.com has a great easy explanation.

Converting from mg/mL to percent and back

Converting from a nicotine strength in mg/mL to a percentage is really easy. Just divide the amount in mg/mL by 10. So, if you have a 6 mg/mL e-juice, this is equal to a 0.6% e-juice. A 25 mg/mL e-juice is equal to a 2.5% e-juice. And if you had a high-strength nicotine base of 72 mg/mL, this would be 7.2% .

The conversion couldn’t be any simpler. To convert back from percentages to mg/mL, just multiply it by 10. That’s all there is to it!

8 Likes

Thank you! So when I’m trying to create a 12mg recipe, I need to add 1.2mg as the desired strength in the calculator? Because when I type 12mg, the output % says 12% instead of 1.2%

5 Likes

Yes, BUT, BUT, BUT, if you are using 100mg base NIC strength. I do, so here’s how it looks using a 100mg base NIC strength, trying to obtain a final 12% finished NIC level.

@joberru pay CLOSE ATTENTION to the THREE columns in the bottom. If you indeed want a 12% finished NIC level, and ARE using 100mg NIC base, you would add 1.2ml (or grams) of NIC. The final far right column just reflects the 12% value. In the ABOVE example, using 100mg NIC as your base, you would be adding 1.2 ml, or 1.24g, for a net total of 12%.

6 Likes

If you enter 12mg in the “desired strength” field and enter your base nicotine strength the calculator will compute the amount of nicotine base to add into the final mix

6 Likes

In desired strength you would enter 12, this then will adjust the amount you add to your recipe with the parameters of your nicotine base used in nicotine strength area

6 Likes

opps sorry did mean to show the same

4 Likes

No no @David5362, show away Sir, better to OVER-show something, when we’re talking about safe NIC levels. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Yea my rural internet is a bit slow,lol, well 1.2 would have been more than safe enough

3 Likes

Yeah! That was my issue, as I am indeed using 100mg NIC base, and am trying to create a 12mg nic strength on a 60mL total volume including a 19% concentration of flavors

4 Likes

I don’t know what PG/VG your NIC is, mine is 100% PG, but here’s the example, 60ml finished product, @ 12% NIC, 19% flavor(s).

4 Likes

Thanks! That’s exactly what I got. Now I understand it better, as I vape in 0mg and brew my liquids that way. A friend of mine offered to pay me for a recipe I constantly brew with a strength of 12mg, so I’m learning about it now, as I didnt need it before. Thanks a lot!

6 Likes

My pleasure @joberru, you are very wise, because incorrect NIC levels can be bad, or even deadly. Any questions, ask away, LOTS of great mixers here to help out.

6 Likes

No!

Numbers will vary depending on what strength you order your nicotine in.

Depending on where you are (and what’s available… You can order:
3mg/ml,
6mg/ml,
9mg/ml
12mg/ml
18mg/ml
24mg/ml
48mg/ml
100mg/ml

And even more options…

Stop over thinking it!

Put whatever strength you bought into the spot where it says “Nicotine Strength” (example: I buy 100mg/ml, so I enter 100 on this line.)

Where it says “Desired Strength”, you’re going to put 12 since you want 12mg/ml strength.

Let the calculator do the rest.

7 Likes

There is a great chance that what you enjoy at 0mg nic will taste less vibrant at 12mg. More nicotine = less flavorful mix. You might need to fiddle with the recipe %s. The hard part is trying to test this. If you can’t test vape the 12mg version, your going to need your friend to be very descriptive. You might have them try both 0 and 12 back to back and see if there is a significant difference in perception.

6 Likes

I have done my first mix today. Hopefully I am not doing it wrong…:slight_smile: For 100ml ejuice at 12 mg nicotine strength I added 12.4 g of nicotine 100mg. Correct?

5 Likes

Hi @Chris41 welcome to the forum.
Is ok

7 Likes