No flavor from SS316

No break in time. Since you are using the DR V2 what are you cutting your coil legs at? I find 4 mm cut works best for a two coil base. I use either 3.0 or 3.5 Id’s using simple 2) 28 40 fused Clapton. 4 to 5 wraps. Single coil should Ohm out at ± 0.4 Ohms. That should put you around 0.2 Ohms built out. Can be vaped from 30 to 45 watts depending on your temperature preference.

2 Likes

I cut them at 5, always have, probably ends up at 4.5 give or take by the time I screw them in. I haven’t put them on a dna but the other mod is saying .14. It seems to be the creams/custards that aren’t coming through. I’m using a dead rabbit pro as a daily, with my usual cookie crack, with ni80 aliens. Those come out to a .17.

I’ve tried as low as 50 watts, my usual is 85-for the ni80’s. I hardly got vapor at 50.

2 Likes

Most mods are pretty close. Not familiar with the Pro but have the DR V1, V2, V3. Do you know the core wire size of the Alien’s? The smaller the the wire the the faster they heat up. I think that may be your problem. But I’m scratching my head why 0.14 Ohm’s doesn’t heat up at 50 watts. SS changes Ohms as they heat up on their own.
The 0.17 ohm coils will change Ohms to about 0.20 after a little chain vaping. The 0.14 should be heating up at 35 watts. (Running my 2) 28/40’s 0.14 ohm right now at 40 watt’s and thinking about turning them down to 35 watts after a battery change.
If your interested Message me with your address and I will send you a couple of sticks of the Clapton’s. Each wind will increase Ohms about 0.03.

3 Likes

Thank you! I’ll pm you! I’m not giving up on SS yet. I used to love the ones from AVS.

3 Likes

Look like tri-cores. I will use those on a single coil base. Now I understand why 50 watts won’t heat them up.

3 Likes

Ahh, 409 SS, they will be magnetic. I do remember using 409 very briefly and stopped for the same reason i stopped using Kanthal, metal taste, no where near as bad but it was there.

4 Likes

Wtf i didnt know 409 vape coils were a thing. 409 stainkess is not even food grade stainless. The chromium in it is known for leeching

2 Likes

409 was used way back for a short time, some mods even had it built in for TC.

The Chromium and Titanium are pretty stable under normal conditions but i cant imagine it has been tested for repeated heating like in vaping. Tho that could just be a lack of imagination on my part.

2 Likes

I cant see any possibke benefit of using 409 over 316 other then 409 is much cheaper but in the case of vape coils it woukdnt be much of a difference in cost

2 Likes

Pretty sure 409 will rust, if i remember right.

2 Likes

Oh my, I thought that was 40g for 40 gauge…if you’re right, that’s most likely the reason. I’ve always loved ss316. I don’t have a magnet, I tried looking yesterday. I’ll pick one up tomorrow.

EDIT They aren’t magnetic. I forgot I had one on the back of my phone lol

3 Likes

Any of yer mods have magnetic doors? That should do the trick.

I might be wrong about it being used as vape wire but i swear i remember folks using 304, 409 and 430, 317 also which is what i started with as i welded with it.

3 Likes

I checked, it’s not magnetic. This just leaves me scratching my head. I loved the ss coils from AVS.

3 Likes

That makes sense that its 40g not 409. Are they polished coils?

3 Likes

I ordered bottles tonight so when they come i can send you the stuffs. I have a crapton of my favorite 316L aliens, i can send some if you like. Depending what i run them in they go between .2-.3, 2x26g wrapped in 30g, 3mm ID. I also have some 28gx3 wrapped in 36g, 2.5mm ID. And lastly i have some .15, 26gx3 not sure what its wrapped in as i got them from fasttech but they are 3.5mm, they called these Alien V2. All three are made by XFKM. I dont use the last two sets at all, i prefer the first ones or single strand 22-26g.

I only used a couple of the Alien V2’s, i wanted to try out running a single coil in a Recurve Dual at 4mm, man i wish i had gotten the single, hehe. Its just too much mass for the way i like to vape.

And let me just state for the record, ive only used ni80 twice so i dont have an opion and cant really compare them. Not that i didnt like ni80 its just that i really like 316l and the only ni80 coils i have came with tanks/rda’s.

Kinda sucks to hear you didnt like these coils as they were sent to you by a friend but one of the absolute best things about vaping is that there really is something for everyone, or there was…

4 Likes

So sad to go into vape shops now and today i heard the only real vape shop here is closing, all the others are head shops that sell disposables with a few vape kits and pods.

3 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

The Metallic tastse is wierd as i generally like both N80 and SS but you may want to switch back to N80.
Ive been using Hellvape Aliens from Health Cabin for 9$/10 and i gotta admit their pretty good coils for being premades from china but unlike Temu or AliExpress HC carries strictly Vape gear as you prob know.I use my builder coils sparingly as their not cheap but for the price these are pretty decent tri core/quad core real Alien wrapped. They carry the coils that come with the Blaze Rta too (5 sets of 2) and i get people have a certain standard when it comes to coils but these def aren’t bad to have on hand and better than expected.

5 Likes

Good coils spoiled me so much i tried going back and using a couple premades and just cant do it. I just can not get the flavor from premades or that nice crackle. Since i get like 3 or 4 months out of a top end coil its still pretty cheap overall

3 Likes

I use homemade coils from either Johnny Johnson, Ohmcentric or Alex Medrano. These were handmade from another guy. I haven’t bought mass produced coils since AVS days. These are gorgeous coils…I think it’s just a me issue.

2 Likes