No flavor from SS316

I recently received some coils from a friend. They are ss316. I put a set of aliens in one of my usual dead rabbit v2’s and the flavor just isn’t there. I used my cookie crack, and I’m tasting really only the cookie and a weird metallic taste. I dry burned low wattage (14-18 watts, no higher). I’ve used ss316 coils when Advanced Vape Supply made coils, but have been strictly using ni80 for the past 3-4 years.

Anyone else find flavor to be subpar using ss? They are beautiful coils, I’m curious if it’s a me issue or a common issue.

Thanks!!

9 Likes

I’ve used ss316L almost from the start without issue but always sourced from advanced vape supply.

Bu do wonder if your build is to low or high in terms of ohms making things a bit off…maybe requiring +|- a wrap.

5 Likes

I switched to 316 because of the metallic taste i got from kanthal, actually it was 317 first then 316. Never had any metallic taste from it.

Test them with a magnet to make sure they are 316L.

I have seen and bought 316L coils that were wrapped in kanthal and it wasnt stated. In fact i still have some, they arent bad but i can really taste metal with every rip.

5 Likes

I personally hate ss coils. I get the same thing as you. I stick with nichrome.

I remember there was a big thread on ecf about metallic taste with stainless coils. The concensus was some people are more sensitive to the metallic taste with ss316 then others

Iv also heard the metallic taste comes out more as the wattage gets higher

It could also be your coils are using chinese ss316 which people get much more of a metalic taste from

3 Likes

Not one bit and all I use is Stainless because it gives me the cleanest flavor . Perhaps your coils were mislabeled. I build my own so I know what is going into my builds.

3 Likes

For me its a real odd thing. It seems the bigger gauge the stainless the more metallic i taste. I do get it even from the high end stainless like from optimwire. However i dont get it from ss mesh in pods or at least never noticed any taste. The ss coilology coils iv tried though are real bad with the metallic taste for me. Kanthal i also get a slightly off taste. Nichrome is perfect though.

2 Likes

Not a big fan of their wire. It’s more of a spooling issue than taste.

Only use NI 80 to meet Ohm ranges. I have no issues with taste.

Very seldom use core wire larger than 28ga. Again to meet Ohm range.

Kanthal gives me a strange taste. Don’t build with it because of the off taste.

2 Likes

Im the opposite …I tried to go to NI since thats what a lot of people make fused with . I didnt get the same notes as i did with SS. I still go back and try NI and at first they work well then i get to certain recipes and any type of layering is gone .

4 Likes

I can see that . What i noticed is ss has a somewhat cleaner taste so you may be abke to taste that layering a little better except for it being ruined for me by the metallic taste. N80 i find has more saturation. That possibly due to the faster ramp up time.

3 Likes

I’ve been getting a very clean but flat taste when using 316L coils lately. I’ve been using them 90% of the time but recently switched to mainly ni80 wire and while I never thought about it, @STR8V8PING is right. Ni80 has a more saturated feel to the vape.

I need to find my TI wire and see if my tastebuds find it favorable.

4 Likes

They come out to a .14

2 Likes

These are handmade from someone, they sent me to try. I will, however, test with a magnet like @Ken_O_Where suggested.

4 Likes

Iv read if you dry burn ss too hot it can leave a metallic taste. Dint know how true that is

2 Likes

That is true. When I bought premade SS coils from AVS they suggested start lightly pulsing at 15 watts and working your way up never glowing them red hot. I pulsed these at 14 up to 18-20, slowly. Maybe my tastes just changed since then. I was also vaping commercial liquid on the SS. Maybe my taste changed, because I used to love the flavor.

3 Likes

Maybe just sensitive to it from the change using ni80 for a while. Might just take some time to get used to it

2 Likes

The worst metallic i ever got was back in the day when i tried using genesis attys. The ones with the rolled ss mesh wick

2 Likes

Wattage/burning in doesn’t effect the taste for me. What it does does is effect is how fast the coil starts to become clogged and needs cleaning.

3 Likes

I only use S316 in my builds as Kanthal gives me a horrible taste and Ni80 gives me a strong metallic taste. I do find that some brands are better than others when it comes to quality and have had some wire which was less than great with taste. Presumably SS316 wire is made in batches like all other wire so it could be just coils made from a bad batch. Not much help sorry…

3 Likes

I must be Kanthal (metal) blind, as it’s all I use. I barely ever get any metal from it, and have a tried and true “warm up”, and “dry burn” system that I use. Every once in a blue moon on a new coil set, sometimes I get a hint of metal, but once the tester starts cooking on them, it disappears.

I briefly tried some SS, and still go back to it now and again, but never got any metal from it, but the different dry burning/pulsing always gets me.

2 Likes

Is there a “break in time” for SS wire , example, how there is for cotton? I pulsed them how I do my ni80 but lower wattage. It’s aggravating because I’m not getting anywhere near the flavor I do on my ni80.

2 Likes