Not Impressed With These One Shot Concentrates Hitting The Market Lately!

I recently questioned a certain company with a youtube personality on another forum about this… “What qualifies as a good enough recipe” I bought 10 one shots from famous mixers in the youtube community… 7 days to steep, sure, I can live with that. But coming back to them after letting them sit for a month and some of these were hearty profiles with creams, custards and tobaccos, some fruits but mainly the steepers because I like that more. Anyways, after a month I fill up my favourite squonkers with my expensive rdas that were designed for flavour and I couldn’t taste anything… So I switched to something a little more open, still nothing… Didn’t bother with pods. It’s what prompted me to write this post on this famous forum in the first place.

My question was, are these recipes fit for market if they’re not good until 7 days, but muted after 4 weeks? Is this what quality is? I expect my custards to atleast be able to sit for awhile and not taste of the essence of anything, I want rich flavour.

The answers I got from one of the biggest egos was, DIY is more subtle and nuance, more complex… You don’t make recipes to hold onto, you make recipes to vape. He then went to say that the solution was adding 1.5 super sweet… This is not the answer of someone who knows what they are doing, while I do agree that sweetener is needed for longevity, thinks like citric acid makes fruits pop, etc But throwing sweetener into something that tastes of VG doesn’t fix a mix, especially when the recipe was unbalanced when it was released… I reached out to one of these mixers to see if I could see a recipe and she said she wasn’t going to, which is fine, I’m sure she got a lot of good 5 star ratings from fanboys and other folks that ride youtube stars coat tails. We’ve all done it, rate a buddies recipe 5 stars write, “Looks great” and leave them with a false sense of accomplishment, it brings into question the rating system, the people stroking egos and whatever else problems there are… If this dipshit liked it, and this dipshit comment, well then I guess I’ll be a dipshit and rate it without trying because I saw them doing a show for 5 people on youtube! And the cycle of shit accumulates and this guy is releasing shit and that guy is releasing shit and that chick releases shit and you have a lot of people mixing these recipes, or buying these oneshots. Mixing them and realizing they are shit and reach out to these pro mixers to get a bunch of stupid questions, like, 'is your nic bad" or “What device are you using?” or “have you been drinking enough water?” and my favourite, “Well, taste is subjective” which is completely true but such a cop out in the first place and because they hold a status, people look up to them and think that they, them, the new mixer is the problem… Pretty sad state of affairs for DIY if you ask me…

Buy what you like, watch for reviews of people and don’t venture to far off into the void blindly because there’s a lot of garbage out there… Even when it comes to flavours, I don’t know how many times I’ve watched the noted crew talk about a flavour and you’re not sure if they even tried it because they are just throwing out keywords like: -Dude- This one was good, but it tastes like Ghandi’s flip flop -Girl- It was everviscent and musky, but I like the funk it was very earthy and floral. -Hoopy Ears- Yeah, I mixed it low, I got those notes too… What did you mix it at? I mixed it at point… -Girl- 2-3 -Hoopy Ears-Yeah, I was in between those numbers and noticed the Musky Earthy Funk notes, really subtle but outspoken…

They do this for an hour or more some nights… Whatever, take the risk find what you like and find out more by others… Best way to save your money…

EDIT - I’m not a pro, I don’t make decent recipes often but I have made some decent recipes that sit on my shelf for months are a full of flavour and I like them for what they are… I just like to play around, free throw points game, keep tossing out basketballs and eventually hit a 3 pointer.

6 Likes

That right there is a bunch of BS double-speak IMO. It’s also one of the reasons why I don’t believe in “shake and vape”.

Shake and vape has a single purpose IMO, and that’s to have something to get by on until whatever project recipe has matured.

If a recipe doesn’t stand the test of time (or in some of our cases, homogenization), then it’s not a fully fleshed out recipe.
IMO, it’s not done, until the results are consistent and repeatable, and most importantly: achieves the intended goal.

Completely agree.

There’s the core of the problem (for many).
They only hold “a status”, because people GIVE THEM that status.
If you simply view/treat/remember that they are ‘just another mixer’, then they wouldn’t be “elevated” to any such position of influence.

There’s been a history of examples that have been successful in either/both marketing and popularity, who can’t mix for shit IMO.
Same goes for the recipe side (and the antiquated ratings system).

Personally, the system shouldn’t allow ratings from a user of they don’t even have the recipe’s required flavors in their stash.
But that’s just me.

That’s human nature for many though, and permeates more avenues than just DIY and vaping. :wink:

Good advice, but the problem there is that unless you actually DO IT YOURSELF (meaning: put the time in, finding what works for you), you’ll never have a leg to stand on to know whether ‘they’ are full of shit or not.

To me, a pro IS NOT a celebrity, personality, or entertainer.
A pro is someone who can produce a finished eliquid that stands the test of time, and is balanced well.

All others are merely a ‘source of inspiration’ if you will.

Mix happy! Mix for yourself.
Learn something along the way.
Repeat.

6 Likes

Just finished serving a 30 day ban for that one :wink:

2 Likes

@anon44012888, I meant 2% SS !!!

Kidding…

For real, where’d you get baned ??

1 Like

FB, there were a few guys on there that were calling me names because I said, using a dual coil RDA isn’t the reason why my juice tasted muted… Pictures from my profile were then posted and they began to call me ugly because I think they knew they were wrong and then I responded by calling them a bunch of fucking retards and I was warned by FB to remove the posts but I challenged each one (3) and they banned me for 30 days.

2 Likes

Apparently in today’s society if you act like a retard you can’t get called one because it might hurt your feelings… Wonderful world we live in.

3 Likes

Wow, FB has come a long way.

1 Like

(No idea what was it about, but speaking generally… )

We’ll have to adapt. Nowadays an acceptable insult is anti-vaxxer (no matter if true or not). If you’d use that on FB you’d even get extra points instead of a ban. :wink:

3 Likes

So it’s not just me cuz alot of these one shots I been buying just really are shit. I haven’t wanted to say it thinking it was just me. But im mixing at recommend % and leaving them longer than what they recommend and still I get no flavor. Ever

4 Likes

Really does depend on the oneshot I think.

The Gremlin (now Gremberry) Chocolate Overload and Vanilla Overload ones I have are quite good, the FA Joker and NR Cream Dream are tasteless to me…

When you think about it, what is a one shot anyway? How is it defined?

To my mind, what is the difference between FA Joker and for instance CAP Cinnamon Danish Swirl? Both are a mixture of flavours that when used at recommended percentages are supposed to represent an actual item in the “real” sense.

Why is one (Joker) defined as a “one shot” and the other “CDS” a concentrate?

Both can be used high to be the only needed ingredient, both can be used lower as a note or profile within a recipe…

Just my thought, I don’t see any difference between a “oneshot” and half the “concentrates” I have in my stash that represent complete profiles as a single flavour.

3 Likes

Joker or Burlone is different because it was an actual recipe submitted

4 Likes

Submitted to whom?
And… by who?

2 Likes

I think it was the pazzo line, they were FA only recipes made into one shots… I was apart of a group years ago that had a contest on it

4 Likes

Ahhh, ok. Just was wondering as I can make any recipe I come up with into a “oneshot” and using the right concentrates can get the amount needed pretty low.

CAP CDS or CGD or even something like WF Flapper Pie or Strawberry Cheesecake would obviously be based on the same recipe of their own flavours made into a “oneshot” thing, but called a concentrate.

Like I said, just my thoughts on it.

3 Likes

That’s something I think a lot of people struggle with…

The difference between the two terms (for database purposes) is rather simple though.

A One Shot, is a pre-mixed recipe in a bottle.

A Concentrate is a single flavor.

Either one can be a complex flavor.

But the intent of a concentrate is usually meant to be mixed with other flavors.

The intent of a One Shot is that everything is already mixed for you, and ‘ready to go’…in other words, all you have to do is add your base mix and nic-shot.

Hope this helps!

6 Likes

Thanks for the description Rob (@Sprkslfly), I see where you are coming from.

But then, the description for CDS is anything but a single flavour. In fact, the Joker description reads more like a single flavour to my mind.

Cinnamon Danish swirl flavour concentrate by Capella.

A great buttery Danish swirl with cinnamon, a lovely vape as a stand alone flavour which can be added to other concentrates from fruit to coffee. A real melt in your mouth taste which creates a great e-liquid.

FA Joker

The taste of the zeppola with the addition of toasted notes. A great mix for sweet lovers. To be diluted to 5%.

In the end, it doesn’t really matter I guess as I just use them however they work for me. Have never had a oneshot that didn’t need need to be mixed with other concentrates to work for my palate. :wink:

5 Likes