Not Vape Related

Wow, you guys know your bug remedies. I guess it’s time to re-think my strategies!

11 Likes

Since you seem to have ants covered but not so much the spiders…

Here in the UK there’s an old wives tale about keeping conkers on window sills keeping spiders away. I have no idea of the science (if there is any) behind it, but from experience I have seen it make a big difference when I had to live in a caravan with lots of vents and badly fitted windows.

The other, slightly more kill-y suggestion I have is to get yourself down to a pet store and ask them for a reptile mite treatment spray. I keep snakes and I when they first arrive I treat them for mites and they have to be kept far away from my partners tarantulas as the stuff is fatal to spiders (mites are tiny arachnids so I suspect any mite treatment probably works but I know the reptile stuff has warnings all over it as it’s not uncommon to keep both plus it people safe)

Another option I used for an arachnophobic ex partner is to arm them with a can of cheap hair spray. Spiders are covered in tiny hairs so it freezes them in place, you can come and relocate (or kill) but it puts the scared person back in a position of more control and helps diffuse the fear.

Sorry for the longer post. Hopefully it’s useful. I’m waiting for the next post to be from an Aussie and wazz all over this :joy:

8 Likes

Spiders meh not much you can do with em they will carry you off into the bush and stick you down a hole

I do like the hairspray idea tho lol

11 Likes

I’ll get this guy to bring you a can for Huntsmans mate

9 Likes

For spiders I use a vacuum cleaner

5 Likes

Hell no if that big mofo got in my house i would just torch the whole place.

5 Likes

We have a problem with ants twice a year, once around right now lol little bitty ants, I just find where they are coming in and wash that area with bleach water daily and keep dirty dishes off the counter( food crumbs). After a week or so they quit coming around due to no food and hostile conditions lol.

Oh and as far as the diatomaceous earth goes, it kills bugs via dessication, aka they crawl on it and it literally sucks the moisture out of them. One of the many places you can find diatomaceous earth being used besides pool filters and bug killers is most any “natural” oil dry product, I used to get one from Napa auto parts lol.

The danger with using non-food grade DE is the inhalation risk, food grade has lower dust levels and larger particle size, but when using any DE a face mask is a wise idea.

5 Likes

Last year the bloody things ran my household. Agghhh! We used Diatomaceous Earths around the perimeter of the house. I then went out looking for the nests. I found a few and used a commercial ant killer for that. Seemed to slow them down.

3 Likes

I sure hope scientists come up with a spray that’ll freeze kids. I’d invest in that company.

5 Likes

You can get nematodes to put on anthills to encourage a self move

4 Likes

My grandparents poured salt on antsnests in the house which has the qame effect.

5 Likes

Cyonara 9.7 insecticide. Or get 1tsp of agriculture pesticide called warrior and add that to 1 gallon water.

3 Likes

Borax, sugar,water on a cotton ball will get rid of ants without dangerous chemicals. They either die right there or bring the borax back to the nest to wipe out the colony.

4 Likes

When I bought my house we had Black Widows, American roaches and crickets. Sprayed with Ortho Home Defense and that got rid of the roaches and crickets and when the food supply was gone, so were the widows.
Lately we had an problem with German roaches and the Ortho wasn’t doing a thing to them. Tried Raid gel and that did the trick. I spray the outer perimeter with the Ortho every 6 months, and dab a few dots of the gel indoors when needed and I’m good to go.
Luckily, ant hills are easy to find here because of all the sand, so I just place a bowl of sugar and baking soda mix right near the anthill and no more ants.
I try not to harm spiders and mantis’. I like them. I usually catch and release those.

4 Likes

Boric acid works better than baking soda. It dehydrates them, then they go back to the nest and die, where the rest of the family eats them and dies.

5 Likes

I totally understand the need for a safe and effective solution. Have you tried using essential oils like peppermint or tea tree oil? It’s safe to use around humans and pets, but deadly for insects.

2 Likes

I use essential oils for just about everything, from shampooing/conditioning my hair, facial serums and body oils, etc. I even made spaghetti sauce with it one time, LOL. :shushing_face:

8 Likes

And there’s the 1 post edit. Spam from @JattoSalamat :rofl:

5 Likes

4 Likes

THE WORST part is, once it’s flagged, the system/site removes the ‘edited’ icon. That’s why I’ve been taking a quick screenshot with it showing.

5 Likes