O-ring type name?

Several of my rta’s use these and would like to get spares. The o-ring has a ledge,or lip, or something. The larger outer diameter part sits in the build deck or top cover, and the raised part with the smaller outer diameter goes inside the glass tank when its all screwed together. Is there a specific name for this type of o-ring? Lousy side view picture, but hopefully you get the idea.

3 Likes

grommet I believe if it has a ridge or a step

6 Likes

Stepped seal

6 Likes

Helps to know what RDA’s/RBA’s you are talking about. A lot of the RDA’s/RBA’s use proprietary O’rings. I noticed this with the SMOK devices. So it would be wise to make sure you get the O’rings that correspond with the device.

5 Likes

I wonder if someone is Sealiac and prefers caulk?

3 Likes

An o ring has generally a round cross section. The gasket shown, is most likely a custom molded one time design. Could take it to a “seal or gasket” shop for conformation.

3 Likes

Rubber o-rings that are split can be glued. They make o-ring kits to make custom size replacements from various diameter cord you cut to length and then glue to make into a ring. I think the glue is just superglue but I could be wrong. Don’t make me google. Of course it would have to be super clean …no e-juice residue, but if yours is simply split you may be able to actually repair with the right glue.

2 Likes

My Ammit 25, Zeus (original single coil), and Kylin use these kind of o-rings. Tried various searches, edge o-ring, ledge o-ring, lip o-ring (with results of adult toys) and stepped seal as suggested by tinman. Closest I got was with centering o-ring and sealing gasket.

Now I am wondering why they use these instead of a standard o-ring. I might try a standard o-ring and see if that would work. As long as everything screws together and seals properly, don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

3 Likes

Have an old Kanger Subtank Mini in the stash?

I’m not sure of the glass & deck diameter of your RTA’s, but your pic of the seal reminded me of one of the seals used in the STM. It’s a long shot, but might be worth a look. The STM seals are still available in lots of places for cheap.

The serrations seen in the inner diameter of the STM seal don’t protrude past the top edge, which is smooth, so they don’t affect the contact with the glass.

Good luck.

2 Likes