Ohm testers (geekvape vs coil master?)

Hey everybody,

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong place mods!

I find myself in need of a new ohm tester, I quite fancy the geekvape tab pro but they seem to be increasingly hard to get hold of. Just wondered what you fine people are using and getting on well with these days?

2 Likes

Is available at
https://vapordna.com/collections/building-tools/products/geek-vape-tab-pro

also this
https://vapordna.com/products/coil-master-521-tab-elite-ohm-meter

I have them both use the geek vape more, but both work real well with the coil master having a couple more options for testing

Just the first place I looked in the US, elsewhere not sure

2 Likes

https://www.ecigwarehouse.co.uk/authentic-geekvape-tab-pro-ohm-meter.html
Also some of the china shops have it gearbeast lists it

2 Likes

I did just see it at GearBest, it’s out of stock on FastTech, which is a shame as they’re my go to. I’m in the U.K. which I think is adding to availability issues. Thanks for good feedback on the Geekvape though, I’m always worried I’m biased towards them as I love a couple of their products

3 Likes

I have had more positive outcomes with Geekvape than a lot of other brandings

3 Likes

Had the coil master like the one in the 2nd link above. That’s an old model. Lasted less than a year. Stopped reading ohms correctly, would jump around a lot. Then read that was a common problem with them. Don’t know about their new model other than the djlsb review when it came out. At that time the only con was hard to read because the screen was so dark.

Bought the geekvape like the one in the 1st link above as a replacement. Been using it for a few months and seems to work great so far, but so did the coil master until it crapped out. It fires at 50 watts every time, which for me is a bit much. I do single coils and vape at 18 watts. Only real problem I have is the fire button has to be pushed dead on otherwise nothing happens.

Not much help, toss a coin or go with the brand you already like.

3 Likes

I never had any of those problems, I use the geekvape to pulse my coils all the time no problem with the button at all. The coil master has also worked flawlessly for well over a year more like 2. Just my experience.

3 Likes

I find that most of those devices are all but accurate. I personally use an older mod with a built in battery. Great for measuring and pulsing the coils

5 Likes

Similar to what @adary does, I use a DNA mod to read and pulse coils. The accuracy is second to none but it can get temperamental every so often.

4 Likes

Yea that works great but I aint using my $150 DNA mod to pulse and clean old coils and rinsing with water, why take a chance with a short even if they are protected. Just my way, but I do understand your point and why. I checked and both my meters mentioned above register the same readings as my new 250C DNA mod

3 Likes

I have a coil master, used it a few times but after that felt it was more of a waste of time… I only say that because it just felt I was taking things off mods just to put them on the reader to just take them off the reader an put it back on the mods. I found I was using it to build on (just installing coils into the mod) more than anything else and then found myself just using the mod itself as more convenient. When I first started wrapping I really felt it was something that I really needed, but with the majority of mods having a (fairly) accurate meter within the mod, I don’t really use the ohm meter (coil master).

6 Likes

Thank you all so much for your feedback :grin:

I’ve used mods to build on in the past but I have a tendency to knock them over (because I’m clumsy like that) so it’s as much about that as anything.

2 Likes

I find building on the mod the easiest, but I hold on to it with my pinkie and ring and use my other three fingers to manipulate the coil. Hard to knock over that way.:wink:

5 Likes

use mod. save money. be happy

6 Likes

I just use my mod. Why buy something you dont have to. More money for flavors or other goodies.

6 Likes

Ok, ok, you’ve all convinced me, I’ll carry on building on my mods. I’ve got a serious case of shinyitous at the moment so it’s probably a good thing that there’s one item to cross off my list :grin:

5 Likes

Most of us here can relate to that. Plus, if you’re still new to DIY you will soon have hundreds of flavors laying around. and one day realize you maybe only use like 20 of them! :blush:

7 Likes

Probably won’t get to hundreds with my PG free limitation but I’m definitely more than capable of excess in my own way :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve had both. Good things and bad on both. The Coil Master has a weak 510. If you over tighten it craps out. I took it apart and the soldering on the 510 is crap. If it moves, it shorts and your readings are all over the map. I did like the ability to attach probes to it though. The geekvape model, I had to give away. The polished surface is a fingerprint magnet that drove me nuts! As far as I know, it’s still working. Both were older models and I don’t know if they have been upgraded/changed since. I do have a Coilmaster mini that works, I’m just careful to not over tighten the RDA/tank on it. I also use a Cuboid mini for reading ohms and pulsing. It’s small enough that I can use tools that won’t hit the surface when tightening side mounted coil screws.

7 Likes

I am also one that had a coilmaster 521 crap out on me.

Just bought the Geekvape version on Kidney Puncher for $5 on clearance. Couldn’t pass it up

6 Likes