Ominous FDA agenda towards vaping...Scott Gottlieb

https://blogs.fda.gov/fdavoice/index.php/2018/05/spring-unified-agenda-fdas-anticipated-upcoming-regulatory-work/

3 Likes

Time to build a vape bunker :grimacing:

3 Likes

Addressing the Nicotine Addiction Crisis
Smoking remains the leading cause of preventable death and disease. And too many young people are still being initiated on tobacco products, and becoming addicted to nicotine.
We’ve taken steps to address the morbidity and mortality associated with tobacco through the comprehensive plan that we announced last summer. We’re considering regulating the nicotine levels in combustible cigarettes, to render cigarettes minimally or non-addictive.

What a bunch of BS

They make it sound like nicotine is the only substance in cigarettes that is additive.

I have stopped smoking cigarettes and went to vaping not just once but twice now. I can tell you the second time (recently) has been much harder than the first time. (late 2014)

This makes me wonder if the big tobacco folks have recently started adding something else even more addictive than they were just a few years ago.

6 Likes

This is a valid theory! I had not thought of this before, but I do know that my husband was nearly successfully fully transitioned to vaping at the end of 2014, but then he lost his father to lung cancer in early 2015 (from smoking) and the stress of it all made him go back to cigs. I have been trying to get him to go back to vaping since then and he says it is so much harder now than it was the first time around and now he has almost given up on vaping…he wants to quit smoking, but its as if he can’t…

2 Likes

Very similar story for me as well. The loss of 3 friends way to young to die and the loss of my Father- In- Law but more of a Father to me all in a short period of time and right back to smoking.

Stopping this time was WAY more difficult. It seems like they have added crack or heroin or something that addictive without anyone knowing. It has been my experience thru vaping that nicotine itself is not all that addictive for me anyway. I can vape 0mg for days and the cravings are no worse than if I use nicotine.

I can also tell you it did not take long back to smoking for me to have the need to return to needing breathing meds for my nebulizer and going thru 3 times as many rescue inhalers every month.

I wish your hubby the best in his battle and do let him know it can be done. I truly feel his pain having been thru the same.

5 Likes

“To that end, we will be proposing a new regulation to establish product standards for electronic nicotine delivery systems or ENDS. The proposed standard will, among other things, address the levels of toxicants and impurities found in nicotine, propylene glycol, and vegetable glycerin e-liquid, as these toxicants and impurities can cause death or other adverse health effects.”

Death by PG & VG…HA! Now that’s a good one.

Unless someone falls head first into their 55 gal drum of VG and drowns in there, um I don’t see them finding shit in that regard. Wow I just wanna slap some people.

2 Likes

I’ve been wondering lately if and when the FDA is going to come after the sale of nicotine (for real). Last time I had the feeling there was pending legalization or regulation in the works was back two years ago. I know that I, as well as a lot of other people started stocking up in the case of some kind of undue regulation or prohibition. Let’s be honest about it, there is really nothing that the FDA or the government can do to really hurt us except come after the sale of nicotine. With the current push to “protect the children” it is only a matter of time until we’re going to see them come down hard on consumer nicotine concentrate purchase. Personally, I see this all as a smoke screen blowing a breeze to get the big tobacco companies their lost revenue by allowing them to gain PMTA’s for closed controlled vapor delivery systems while decimating the vaping industry as we know it in the process. That lobby money makes the laws tilt in favor of the swamp lords.

1 Like

Theres always nic from overseas

I am totally stunned that -in complete contrast to this attitude towards PG and VG- the FDA talks as if nicotine is the only thing in cigarettes that makes then toxic/addictive!

“science based”? . These guys are either idiots or else completely disingenuous. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

This really troubles me too:

Commission to issue 13 joint warning letters to companies that misleadingly labeled or advertised nicotine-containing e-liquids as kid-friendly food products (juice boxes, candies, and cookies).
…
These steps will allow us to more effectively block the distribution and use of products that are ultimately found to be violative, including products that are misbranded because their labeling or advertising causes them to resemble kid-friendly foods.

Looks to me like any liquid calls itself itself a “juice” is in trouble. OK, so that can be fixed with a bit of careful rebranding. Kind Juice can call itself “Kind E-liquid” instead…or, hang on maybe “Unkind E-liquid” would be safer. But what about the flavours? I think that most of the flavours we know , love, and attempt to create on this site could be described as “kid friendly” , Grown-ups like sweet things too, as it happens.

There;'s no indication in that document that anybody will be banned from manufacturing those flavours, but how the heck will they market them? Describe the thing as tasting the way it actually tastes, and they’ll be all over you for marketing your product to kids. Describe it some other way instead and you’ll be violating Trade Descriptions laws (I suppose you do have such a thing in America?) besides completely missing your market.

You all might find this interesting. Something that I have believed since giving up the analogs.

2 Likes