Orangey color on my ss wire?

Built my first ss 316l build and barely glowed the coils. Of course they changed color a bit but when I came back to my RDA some days later it’s noticeably more orange on both coils, is this normal?

1 Like

My 316L SS turns some crazy colors as well from a copperish bronze to a deep blue when I first pulse them but after I have used them a while they turn more dark.I haven’t been using the 316L for single wire builds though.I use it for fused claptons and run between 55-90 watts , sorry not much help.

1 Like

Dry firing SS is not good for it really, weakens the metal if you go too hot gotta be careful with that lol i actually just melted a clapton i made couple days ago while burning off some gunk i went too hot. But anyway as @BoyHowdy said SS changes many crazy colors when heated. I love it when it has a cool looking purple/blue hue thru it hah just rub your fingernail on it to be sure it doesnt dust off on it. If it does, its rust. SS is resistant to rusting but after being dry fired too hot, it can lose a bit of that rust resistance property. My guess is its fine tho if its only a few days to week old or so… I would guess its just the SS being its odd colorful self after cooling.

“Stainless steel does not readily corrode, rust or stain with water as ordinary steel does. However, it is not fully stain-proof in low-oxygen, high-salinity, or poor air-circulation environments. There are different grades and surface finishes of stainless steel to suit the environment the alloy must endure.”

One reason i dont like using saline in my juices.

1 Like

My guess is yes it is normal. I dry fire my single wire SS builds all the time without issue. If you lightly pulsed it the orange color would be expected. The longer you heat it the darker it will get before turning to blue in color.

2 Likes

Some better pics of the color change

New coil

After first heating to almost red

After second heating to cherry red

2 Likes