Parallel Fused Clapton & Kanthal Wire - Ideal install

Hi All,

I recently purchased a skynet pre made coil selection. One of the premade coils is as the title above mentions. It essentially appears to be two different coils wrapped in parallel i.e. a fused clapton wrapped next to a single kanthal wire.

I tried to install this in a Govad RTA with zero success. I am thinking of trying in an RDA…maybe my Pulse 24.

Could anyone advise on the best use of this type of coil.Parrallel

1 Like

What do you mean by zero success? No flavor, doesn’t fire?

1 Like

The Govad RDA has a spring loaded clamp to hold the leads down.
As this coil has 2 leads each side, the clamp appears to make contact with both leads, however when fired will only either power the clapton or the single kanthal wire, not both. I believe this maybe due to a poor contact at the clamp due to multiple leads each side.
Not sure if this is actually the case though.

1 Like

What is it Ohming out at? Is it jiving with what it should be? Maybe you can trim off the Claptoning at the clamp and see if better contact is made? The Clapton is just a passenger in the electrical car anyway. The cores are carrying the current. Path of least resistance and all that…

1 Like

Ohms are at .31. i have tightended the clamp as far as possible to ensure good contact.

@TW12 are you saying that the clapton lead doesnt need to go under the clamp. Only the kanthal that runs in parrallel.

1 Like

I’m saying try it, can’t hurt. The electricity passes through the thicker wires anyway; the Clapton is there for increased juice capillary action through increased surface area. Can’t hurt to try, eh?

It’s shouldn’t matter, but I don’t know that atty. Maybe the spring clamp deal makes it harder to get a tight connection. And, maybe the atty is just dirty and needs a good cleaning.

1 Like

They both would have power going through them tbk. The clamps are not making proper contact for whatever reason.

1 Like

@Chrispdx I agree that the clamp is the issue i.e. not making good contact due to guage difference between clapton/kanthal.

I was thinking that using this style coil on my pulse 24 which has a deck style that looks like i will get a better contact.

1 Like

What’s the gauge? I use 26/40 regularly without issue. I think it’s either the clamp design or it’s dirty/warped somehow. Just my $.0.02.

1 Like

The flat on flat clamp system like the govad is the best at making contact with all the wires within the coil. Id try another one perhaps u got a bad one and it’s clipped somewhere

1 Like

I dont have the setup with me but have drawn a cross section of the deck/clamp.
@TW12 the specs are

3 Likes

If you give the clapton a few light taps with a small hammer or squish it in a vice it may work out.

4 Likes

@woftam collio will try that with some grips, just didnt want to stuff the coil completely. Thanks.

1 Like

Just aim right and only do the bits that go in the clamps :grin:

2 Likes

will try and avoid my thumb as well :+1::hammer: - :dizzy_face:

3 Likes

Put the leads in a vise and smash until both are relatively the same thickness. If one lead is higher than the other, it won’t make contact. Not sure if this will work but it’s worth a try. If you don’t have a vise, try a punch and hammer. Lightly tap the thicker lead. Haha I’d sure try it. Don’t have anything to lose

1 Like

Sorry @woftam , I should have read all the posts before posting.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Over kill on the hammer.

2 Likes

Even if, wont the curent flow true the less resistance … hope for you that both leads have the exact same resistance, funny desing nice to look but to use?

1 Like