PBS interview w/ Scott Gottlieb

Listen to the Interesting PBS interview w/ Scott Gottlieb.

The FDA marketing campaign is in full swing.
News broadcasters are drinking the koolaide, and taking the FDA party line junk science as real facts, without every asking the right questions about tobacco harm reduction.

I was waiting for the PBS interviewer to ask about the sharp contrast between the FDA anti vaping campaign and the exact opposite position taken by the Royal College of Surgeons. Read their report here.

The Royal College of Physicians’ new report, ‘ Nicotine without smoke: tobacco harm reduction ’, has concluded that e-cigarettes are likely to be beneficial to UK public health. Smokers can therefore be reassured and encouraged to use them, and the public can be reassured that e-cigarettes are much safer than smoking.

In contrast, Scott Gottlieb, during the PBS interview states that “vaping is a gateway to smoking”, and never even mentioned THR once in the entire 10 minute interview. He just keeps bashing over and over again about “the kids”.

I do give credit to the PBS interviewer that asked Gottlieb in a point bank way about his “financial conflicts of interests”, and his investments in tobacco related companies. I have made previous detailed posts here in this forum about S. Gotliebs multi million dollar income streams and his investments in big pharma and big tobacco.

4 Likes

A sad state of affairs. And what gets me is the fact that Gottlieb is a physician. Many of his peers embrace vaping as a good THR method, yet he doesn’t even acknowledge that!

1 Like

Yes, the position of the FDA is what is known as “quit or die”… They do not acknowledge as beneficial, nor do they have Reduction strategies for many harm creators. This goes for opiates, as well as teen age obesity, which is now understood to be the most harmful activity of youth, as well as deaths of teens from alcohol abuse related to drunk driving. All those things rate far higher as threats to teens, but all Scott Gottlieb can focus on is “vaping and flavors”. Nicotine never killed anyone. It is, actually, a very benign drug.

It should not be lost on any stock market investor that the shares of big tobacco jump 15 to 25 percent a day on these press releases from Gottlieb. Follow the money.

3 Likes

im at work but cant wait to watch ty50

BUT wait its good, the campaign could be worse. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I did not mind what gottleib had to say … he admitted that vaping is a harm reduction product and has a place where adults are concerned. Gottlieb also said there would be no ban on flavors… very interesting video.

Do you get it at last? No, I guess you’re being your usual sarcastic self.
Could be way worse, there was talk of total flavor bans, and banning online sales, so you don’t think that banning flavors in C stores is better than that?
Gottlieb admitting that vaping is harm reduction and that there would be no ban on flavors doesn’t sound better than it could have?
Stop being so stubborn and admit you’re wrong, anyone with half a brain should realize that the latest decisions are way better than they could have been, not perfect, but way better than some of us expected.

Nope, Incremental oppression ain’t good at all. Also I never said you had half a brain. Nor did I mention you at all. I just have a different opinion, one you will not change no more than I can change the minds of anyone content with their chains. No argument with you. You can claim all the victory you wish.

3 Likes

I’ve heard the words, now I’ll watch which way the wind blows and follow the actions. No predictions here. Time will tell. I can’t fault the tone of what he wants to do. The methods are dubious. People have been straw buying for alcohol and tobacco forever. If there’s a demand, supply will occur either white or black market. I’m keying on the word “substantial” in regard to impact. I will be interested in what is considered substantial.

3 Likes

I understand, our national obsession with fear mongering is nothing new in world history. When things are done in one fell swoop an uprising occurs. Slow with a lot of propaganda works every time. I am getting old and a bit tired of it. So pointing out that somethings may appear to be good news usually will bite ya in the butt later on when dealing with government regulation and laws.

3 Likes

U.S. Families Friends Employers and even Doctors do support ex-smokers in switching to a vape products in their efforts to combat the deadly real cigarettes they can easily be addicted to again.

I predict flavors will be on the retail market sometime in the future.

For those that do not have access to a safer vape products in other countries… That is unfortunate.

But I’ll have to agree I don’t trust adolescents values reasoning and carefree attitudes that they won’t start sharing it with even younger kids, and ruin it for adults who get real value from e-cigs to help em stay off the real deal. Hopefully it works and other countries start adopting more unrestrictive laws on vaping.

1 Like

Doctors only care about thier bank accounts, we are all pawns in a giant game of corporate greed and social manipulation, theres a lot of money to be made from smoking and lung cancer

3 Likes

I wish I knew more single doctors and PhD types. :smile:

There are many threads here on this forum and elsewhere dealing with this. Here is sampling of some of them:

and my comments from a previous post specifically about Gottlieb:

Dr. Richard Friedman, a clinical trial expert and professor of clinical psychiatry at Weill Cornell Medical College said it was “alarming” to hear Gottlieb’s positions, adding that “it would put the public at serious potential risk, elevating the financial interests of the drug companies (and Big Tobacco) over public health.”

I said it once before and at the risk of repeating myself : I think it will play out like this:

First: .) Using the “kids” as an excuse: FDA promulgates new ‘nicotine’ rules that make it a classified drug in the context of a newly created and highly tailored schedule with very specific regulation to nicotine so that it can tailor the use of the newly classified drug in very specific and ways unheard of previously for other drug classification. This would allow the FDA to, on the fly, take nicotine out of certain uses, out of certain delivery systems, but selectively include it in others.

Second .) This ‘other delivery systems’ will be for sure Big Pharma patches and delivery systems engineered and manufactured, patented, and advertised and sold by Big Pharma which might also be allowed to have as a newly approved delivery system’ certain ’vaping like devices’. Big Pharms would get approvals but of course, Joyetech, or Svoe Mesto, or Geek Vape might not make the approval because they are not meeting the newly promulgated regulation that now requires ‘drug trial like’ testing. The Big Pharma companies could ‘hit the ground running’ with such new regs because they have already existing infrastructure to do this type of compliance testing.

In the meantime Gottlieb financially profits as he has done many time before like this:

1.) New Enterprise Associates, the venture capital firm where Gottlieb is a partner, is currently or has been invested in 188 health care companies.

2.)Gottlieb serves or served on eight boards of directors, according to his LinkedIn profile. The firms include pharmaceutical companies Gradalis and Tolero Pharmaceuticals, which are developing cancer treatments, among other things; and Glytec, which offers glycemic management tools for patients with diabetes.

3.) Eight pharmaceutical companies disclosed payments to Gottlieb in 2015, according to the open payments database: Vertex Pharmaceuticals, GlaxoSmithKline, Daiichi, Valeant, Pfizer, Millennium, SI-BONE and E.R. Squibb & Sons. Payments included travel to Philadelphia, San Francisco and London.

4.) In a memo, Gottlieb wrote that he had a consulting relationship with nine health care companies before his stint as the FDA’s deputy commissioner for medical and scientific affairs during the George W. Bush administration. Those ties disqualified him from dealing with matters concerning those companies for at least a year. The firms included Eli Lilly, Roche and Sanofi-Aventis.

The recusals generated some headlines during the avian flu scare because Gottlieb had to recuse himself from some of the planning efforts around vaccines.

5.) Gottlieb also spent the past seven years as an adviser to drugmaker GlaxoSmithKline’s product investment board, according to his LinkedIn page.

6.) when Gottlieb was 33 when he got the No. 2 job at the FDA in 2005. He had done a short stint at the agency a few years earlier, but was considered a controversial pick because of his ties to Wall Street. He stayed until 2007.

7.) Pharmaceutical companies paid Gottlieb nearly $414,000 from 2013 through 2015, according to federal open payments data, for speeches, consulting, travel and meals. That included $65,780 from a pharmaceutical company to promote a controversial cystic fibrosis drug called Kalydeco. Only one other doctor received more money toward promoting the drug. The drug’s price tag was controversial because the nonprofit Cystic Fibrosis Foundation kicked in $150 million toward finding a cure for the fatal disease and got a rich $3.3 billion payday for selling its rights to royalties for the drug. Vertex Pharmaceuticals priced Kalydeco at more than $300,000 a year.

8.) Gottlieb has contributed nearly $30,000 toward Republican political campaigns and joint fundraising committees from 2005 to 2014. He has donated toward the presidential runs of Mitt Romney and Sen. John McCain. He also donated more than once to Speaker Paul Ryan.

Gottlieb is a money hungry ex-doctor turned bureaucrat / politician.

3 Likes