Percentages by volume vs. weight?

As a newbie, I’m wondering about “percentages”. The calculator and recipies here on ELR measure percentages by volume. And yet it appears most mixing is done by weight. The key percentages of PG/VG and flavor differ by 2% to 5% depending on whether you calcluate by volume or by weight.

What is the reason for measuring percentages by volume? Is that a solid industry standard? If I buy two different commercial juices that say their PG/VG ratio is 50/50, will they really be the same?

Related, why does the recipie builder on ELR ignore the PG weight of flavors (1 ml = 1 gram instead of 1.036 grams)?

3 Likes

You need to go to you user page on the recipe side and go to preferences & change

spg

I think that will sort out most of what you are speaking of

11 Likes

I haven’t tested it but I think different brands of vg/pg have slightly different weight too but it probably wouldn’t matter too much I think .
A good scale is more important I just started out and i had an old scale (cheap) but I probably did my first recipe a bit bad (25ml) had acetyl pyrazine I think my scale didn’t work correctly when I was adding it and probably added too much Ordered a new one.

4 Likes

I generally keep test recipes to 10ml size, and use a 0.001 scale, still there’s some flavors don’t always register on the scale, so (although not accurate) one drop in a 10ml equals 0.02g

6 Likes

With the new scale I am waiting I 'll just use it and whatever happens happens I 'll keep minimum test batches at 20-30ml so If I am off 0.01-0.05 -+ hopefully its gonna be ok and close to the recipes . I tried once with syringes never again I made a mess and plus having to clean and label the syringes its hell . (only made a solo flavour in the end cause I got bored and nervous about cross contamination removing droppers from flavour bottles etc) I am curious if you add something weighing 0.20 on the scale after pushing tare would it help with not registering a flavour?

2 Likes

Depending on the flavor house you will be fine. Hundreds won’t throw you off too much. The SC flavors are the exception. A MF flavor you might not want . 5% more in the recipe. Take your time at the end of the flavor add and you will be fine.

3 Likes

Cant even Find MF or SC flavors at all where I live
I ll probably only ever use TPA CAP FW & FA

2 Likes

When making really small bottles i put my calibration weight in it and tare. For some reason with my .001 scale it will register small amounts a lot better if theres already weight in the scale

3 Likes

That’s a common effect. On my LB I typically never have to hit a .01, and very seldom a .02, but if there is already an ingredient in, without taring, it picks up every drop. Once the mix is going it hits every one. Seems to be only on an empty bottle. This only happens on small 10ml bottles for me though.

3 Likes

Very interesting discussion. I confirm, for what it is worth, what has been said up to now. I prefer to mix in the quantity of 10/30ml and in all cases I prepare a spreadsheet with the weight in sequence (I always use the same sequence for the components) therefore without having to reset the tare and the scale has never given problems. I also exposed this technique some time ago in an EU forum but they thought I was crazy… too bad for them!

2 Likes

If you just keep a calibration weight on the scale while your mixin you can just keep hitting tare for each flavor and still have better accuracy/sensituvity when using a drop or 2 of flavoring

4 Likes

@STR8V8PING great trick, I’ll try it for sure! :+1:

1 Like

@STR8V8PING what weight are you using, mine came with (2) 200g weights.

2 Likes

Mine only came with a 50

2 Likes

Mine too! :+1:

1 Like

You could just put a US Nickel on the scale, it weighs 5 grams!

1 Like