Perfect Ice Cream!

@Amy2 That looks like a tasty ice cream?
I was thinking an even smaller percentage, maybe 0.5 - 1% for the taro?
Just enough to impart its characteristics on the recipe but not taking any forward place in the mix., more of a mouthfeel with very slight flavour of the root? I hope that makes sense? Hahaha

1 Like

I agree about the taro. That basically what I was headed to in the first paragraph about keeping the taro %s down.

In the recipe I was mimicking taro fro-yo but wanted to use gelato in place of yogurt.

I really like taro but for most everyone else I would say that 0.75 and under what still cut it to have a hint. 1% and up and your getting the taste of it no hinting lol !

1 Like

Gotcha! Hahaha
Think I will keep the taro about 0.5% to impart a slight taste and mouthfeel.
I think combined with the condensed milk @0.5%, fresh cream FA @ 4%., vanilla shisha INW @ 2% and some CAP sweet cream @ 2% I will start to get the basis of a nice base for ice cream?

I think if you use Condensed milk at 0.5% you may not taste anything elseā€¦ever again. LOL enuf said that stuff is super strong. But to each their own.

3 Likes

Hahaha!
The reason for the condensed milk @ 0.5% is that in other mixes I have kept it around the 0.2 - 0.4% and as you say it is strong stuff! But it does mellow after a few weeks steep and one of my favourite ice creams is an Italian ice crean that has condensed milk as itā€™s main ingrediants, simply delicious!
So I am hoping that it mellows enough over time but not enough that it is simply a bit part overall.
If it doesnā€™t turn out as expected I will turn it back a tad but I want it to be a main player in the ice cream.

1 Like

did you get a chance to try your ice cream? im working on the same thing and wanted to know how yours turned out. iā€™ve got almost every kind of cap/tfa vanilla along with creams and inw shisha vanilla, so im a little overwhelmed trying to figure out which ones to use.

Not yet Frank.
Been busy on a load of mixes just now and sorting out the good from the bad! LOL
Funnily enough I have just recieved the Liquid Barn ice cream which many rave about so that will be next as a solo and then the add ons if needed.
The Inawera shisha vanilla is a great addition to any cream mix.
I like it around the 1.5%, coupled with CAP vanilla ice cream @ 2% FA cream fresh @ 1%, FA Vienna cream @ 2% and FLV vanilla custard @ 1% gives a great vanilla ice cream after at least a 4 weeks steep.
If you have the condensed milk then try @ 0.2% and see how you go?
I usually mix this up, let steep and then play with various flavours to go with it, maybe a fruit or caramel?

I will keep you posted on my quest for the perfect ice cream? LOL

I ā€œretiredā€ my FA condensed milk! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:ā€¦it now resides with my FA Mangosteen at the local landfill.

6 Likes

All the real ice creams I make at home are custards, so in my mind a good icecream recipe would need a small amount of a vanilla custard flavor and it looks like all the major manufacturers make one so pick your favorite company and get a little. I would also suggest Condensed milk from FA, for a super rich ice cream use a little sweetened condensed milk so Iā€™m thinking this would add that rich thick flavor to it,

My Favorite Ice Creamā€¦

Vanilla Ice Cream

0.5% Cream Fresh (FA)
0.5% Cream Whipped (FA)
0.3% Pyure
0.75% Vanilla (MF)
2.5% Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (TPA)

Flavor total: 4.55%

Custard has never hurt any of my recipesā€¦ Iā€™ll have to incorporate it into my fave VIC recipe. Thanks for the tip.

Iā€™ll try thisā€¦

Vanilla Ice Cream v2

0.5% Cream Fresh (FA)
0.5% Cream Whipped (FA)
0.3% Pyure
0.4% Vanilla (MF)
2.5% Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (TPA)
3.5% Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP)

Flavor total: 7.7%

2 Likes

My problem with custards is to me it gives a cardboard after tasteā€¦ Ive been shying away from using it because of thatā€¦ Maybe im just sensitive to it in some way idk lol

It takes nearly a month for Cap VC1 to properly steep. Itā€™s even better beyond 30 days. IMO it doesnā€™t add much taste, but it adds a silky smooth thickness to the vape.

1 Like

Well, i may be speaking blasphemy here, but i have some Strawnana Custard i made 4/9/16 and the cardboard flavor i get is just horribly unbearable to meā€¦

2 Likes

Some flavors just donā€™t fit every palette. Iā€™m not a big fan of custards, but it works well for me most of the time. I have a bottle of Strawnana from January and it is superb.

As they sayā€¦ taste is subjective.

Iā€™m one of the few that think Rhodonite and Unicorn Milk (Original) both suck.

I actually think my own mixes are better than most Iā€™ve triedā€¦ even the few vendor juices Iā€™ve tried. But they were tailored for my palette. There is no way I can convince my impressions on another vaper.

5 Likes

Like the look of this donā€™t have all the flavours at the moment. I hate to ask but do you think it would still be good with the following subs?
Meringue instead of Pyure and Vanilla Shisha (INW) instead of Vanilla (MF).

2 Likes

Since Pyure is there for a touch of sweetness the meringue should work. On a side note the meringue will also a little airyness and mouthfeel.

Vanilla Shisha should work also. I donā€™t own it, but so many swear by it that it must be good.

3 Likes

It is nice but my its like tpa where i get a pepper taste if i go over like 2 percent

2 Likes

I have not gotten the dreaded pepper taste even at or over 2% sorry thatā€™s what I love so much about this one. Everyoneā€™s different and u know about tastes being subjective hope you find a % that works for you.

2 Likes

Great Iā€™ll have to give this a go soon :wink:

1 Like

I have just learned to steep longer the tpa is worse but i love them anyway

1 Like