Pg or vg base?

hi all looking to buy some 60 ml nic base for long term freeze what is better to buy pg base or vg base ?
i vape 6mg nic at 70/30 vg pg most of the time except winter then 50/50 cause its too cold and i work out doors
thanks in advance

7 Likes

PG has a longer shelf life, and the NIC will be MUCH easier to work with.

8 Likes

i recomend getting 100mg

6 Likes

I recommend getting 250mg, less storage space required and if only ordering 60ml will tide you over longer. I do agree pg is much easier to work with but if not available vg is doable, just takes a bit longer.

5 Likes

I recommend whatever you can get before the evil mail ban: 100 OR 250 :smirk:

Think about those poor suckers in places like Sweden who can only get 18mg/mL base!

Gawd.

7 Likes

I use nothing but PG based nicotine. I appreciate it the most during the winter cold. It makes my life easier to have the flexibility to mix 50/50 or max VG. I buy less PG and keep a ratio of 1 to 4 VG.

4 Likes

PG is easier but VG is a better base for Nicotine . I get PG because I hate the fact you can’t dhake the shit out of it when I taken out of Freezer…

5 Likes

PG based Nic has twice the shelf life of VG based, and is easier to work with. And the Lower the strength, the longer the shelf life.
Higher nicotine strengths will possess more nicotine molecules, less likely to be completely solvated by their carrier (PG/VG). Put simply – 100mg/mL formulations will keep for less time than a 24mg/mL formulation. PG is also a much better solvent for this purpose – it has an extremely low viscosity, will dissipate dispersed oxygen bubbles quickly (say that 4 times fast!), and has a longer shelf-life chemically (2 years from DOM, vs. VG – 1 year). Thus some may only see a short shelf-life for a 100mg/mL solution kept on a shelf compared to a 24mg/mL solution kept in multiple frozen aliquots. Remember, nicotine solution solvated in wither PG or VG WILL NOT FREEZE!
The full article on Nic storage from Nude Nicotine can be found here;

4 Likes

So we should all mixing our 100mg down to 50mg at least, immediately since nobody uses even 50mg freebase in their juice.

A quarter even - 25mg - though I don’t even have the vg/pg that would chew up on hand.

2 Likes

I use VG nic base. I prefer VG because it’s easier to keep to my preference of 70/30 VG/PG. I did the math on the calculator and found if I use PG base it ends up closer to 65/35 and it’s just too harsh for me.

2 Likes

That’s why I want VG base, but local sites only seem to offer PG :angry:

3 Likes

Technically the lower the concentration, the longer it will last, OR, the slower it will degrade. 100mg seems to be the sweet spot for me, and in 100% PG.

3 Likes

100% VG NIC can be good for people who are PG sensitive, but it can lead to added “issues”. If you freeze it (as you should), the VG will be VERY thick. When using even a small working bottle, you won’t be able to fully shake/mix/disperse it right out of the freezer. This means you will have to let it warm to some degree before you can really shake it, and prevent NIC hot spots. This then means, you will be forced to put your NIC through repeated freeze/thaw cycles, which can speed oxidation, and degradation.

100%PG however is much more fluid when coming out of a freezer (I keep mine at -30F), and you can shake, use, then put right back in the freezer.

4 Likes

But 25mg/mL would extend the life of bases just by being a lower concentration?

Wouldn’t work for salts so much since they need to be higher in general use, but would 25mg/mL freebase degrade 4x slower than 100mg/mL freebase?

If so, that’s a serious bonus to be adding to the “maximizing nicotine lifespan” list of suggestions, given nobody actually uses freebase at even 25mg - 18 is the highest I’ve ever been able to vape and even then it’s pretty damn rough on the lungs and prone to cause random coughing fits.

1 Like

So, if 18mg/mL is about as high as anyone can comfortably inhale, shouldn’t that person be cutting their 100mg/mL base down to 36mg/mL for much longer shelf life (or freezer life) - since they’ll still be able to further cut that 36mg into mixes with plenty of room for VG and flavours?

Or if 12mg is as high as you can tolerate, cut your 100mg down to 24mg?

Hmm.

It’d take up more room in freezers and require more bottles, but if max lifespan is the goal, that seems like a solid additional improvement to the other methods agreed upon?

2 Likes

It would also add another calculation or two to the maths of mixing, but once you’ve done it a few times you’d memorize the difference anyhow.

Additionally, it would make all that nic base safer across the board because its more diluted.

Course it’s nice to have the full 100mg/mL strength, it’s not really necessary…

2 Likes

The problem with cutting down your NIC, is the INCREASED amount you will then need, in your mixes. Depending on your carrier, that will FORCE you to have new min. PG/VG levels in your mixes, because of the increased amount of NIC (and carrier) you will have to use in every mix.

Everyone’s mixing style, and preferred final PG/VG will dictate what’s best for them. If you lower your NIC concentration too low, you will find that over HALF of your bottle will be the NIC.

Again, your mixing style, and desired final ratios will dictate how much, if at all, you cut your NIC down. With my current break down, Argon gas topping, and freezing, I’ve not had any undesired effects, or need (perceived) to cut my NIC down. BUT, that is for my mixing style, and my rate of NIC churn/burn.

2 Likes

True,… less wiggle-room with pg, unless you add some VG to the cut-down base before freezing: maybe 50/50 .in a36mg diluted base…

Which would complicate the maths another step, though still…

2 Likes

Now the like-nazis have me handcuffed…

…just when the edit-nazis had stopped.

2 Likes

thanks for all the help going to see if i can get some 100 mg pg base

4 Likes