Playboy Luxbox Mini kit, bringing sexy back

What’s up vapefam!
SirRisc here with another gear review!

Hey, do you come here often?
That is a stunning dress, it would look great on my bedroom floor.
You have no dress to wear? I happen to have no dress in my bedroom.
I drive a Lambo, would you like to ride me?

This and more extremely lame pickup lines are what once appeared in an article in the ever popular adult magazine, Playboy.
However today we won’t be looking at Playboy Bunnies, we’re looking at a luxurious piece of kit named the Playboy Luxbox Mini.

This Playboy Luxbox Mini kit was sent to me for the purpose of this review by Heavengifts.com!

Premise.

I know, I know… my pickup lines aren’t what they used to be, and I hardly look sexy chucking a big cloud of vanilla scented vapor across the room while stumbling mildly intoxicated to the bathroom and tripping over that cute girls handbag trying to save my pint from smashing on the floor.
But as a happily married man with little business in clubs or the Playboy mansion, I don’t really need lame pickup lines anymore.
I’d rather stay at home these days and read a magazine or a book. No, really. Stop laughing! I’m not THAT old!

When Heavengifts suggested the Playboy Luxbox Mini kit for review, I was rather skeptical.
Not because I didn’t like the look of the device, it’s actually a lot prettier than it looks on the photos, but because I know how these products are marketed sometimes.
Companies buy an inferior product, slap a few popular and well known logos on it, and sell it at ridiculous prices.
The Playboy Luxbox is definitely not a cheap one, but the quality of the device is far from being an inferior product.

So is it worth chasing this Playboy Bunny around? Let’s find out!

Playboy Luxbox Mini kit

Specifications.

• 2200mAh battery
  • 40W maximum power output, 3W minimum
  • TC mode for Ni200
  • Resistance range: 0.1ohm to 3.0ohm
  • Temperature range: 200°F to 600°F (No °C support unfortunately)
  • USB charging with passthrough functionality
  • Genuine leather clad body (Just as I like my women…)
  • Playboy Vixen tank included
  • 3 coilheads included: 0.1ohm Ni200, 0.2ohm FeCral, 0.5ohm FeCral
  • 4.5ml capacity
  • Stainless Steel and pyrex construction
  • Color coordinated mod and tank, available in brown leather/rose gold, black leather/silver, white leather/silver, brown leather/silver, black leather/gold, white leather/gold

Packaging.

The packaging of the Playboy Luxbox Mini is impressive to say the least.
A colorcoordinated box with a large plastic window on top depicting a golden Playboy Bunny shows you the inside of the package from the start.
The box is held shut by a small magnet hiding in a bowtie cutout on the front of the box.
The mod and tank itself lie waiting in a bed of red brown silk, colorcoordinated with the mod and tank.
The silk bed lifts out and hides the accessories including a 1Ah wall adapter, a micro USB cable, two additional coilheads, and the user manual.

Performance.

Going into the review I was still fairly skeptical despite the fancy packaging, but I was pleasantly surprised by both the Playboy Luxbox Mini and Vixen tank.
The Playboy Luxbox Mini outputs a maximum of 40W but that doesn’t mean it’s underpowered by any means.
It just means we’ll be using slightly less power to come to the same result; a good vape. In the end that’s all that matters, right?
Though I will nuance that statement by saying the manufacturer should really reconsider including a 0.2ohm coil in the kit, because the mod is severely underpowered for those.

The first thing you’ll notice when grabbing the Luxbox out of its packaging is that the display sits extremely deep into the mod and has a loupe styled glass over it.
This doesn’t mean the display is hard to read when looked at straight on, but it does mean you’ll see only half if you’re looking at a bit of an angle.
Despite that the display is bright and clear, and holds all the info you’ll need such as battery level, resistance, wattage, voltage and if in temperature control the temperature.

The Luxbox has two modes, wattage and temperature control.
The wattage mode can output anywhere between 3W and 40W and is pretty straight forward.
The temperature control is only for Ni200 alloy and only the temperature will be adjustable.
Switching between the two is done by quickly pressing the fire button three times.

The Luxbox Mini kit also comes with the Vixen tank, which includes 3 coilheads similar to the ones used in the Atlantis.
Whether or not these are interchangeable I can’t answer as I don’t have an Atlantis anymore.
The 0.5ohm coilhead performs quite nicely at 40W, though with slightly cool vapor being expelled from the tank, even with the airflow almost fully closed.
At 0.2ohm the other coilhead is simply built too low for this device and it lacks power and flavor.
The 0.1ohm Ni200 coilhead does better but seems to have a bit of a metallic taste to it.
Of course this could be because I’m rather sensitive to vaping with Ni alloy, I tend to use it only when I have no other option.

The airflow on the Vixen tank is a bit special in the way it’s hidden.
The airflow ring has three notches to grab the ring, and rather big holes that are interlaced.
Despite the fact that the air going into the tank hits quite a lot of material on that ring, the airflow is surprisingly stable and quiet.
For a device of this caliber, I would have expected something a bit more aimed at MTL (mouth-to-lung) vaping, but the Vixen is quite open.

A very big flaw in my opinion is the lack of standby mode for this mod.
If you put it down for half an hour it will turn itself off completely and you’ll have to press the firebutton three times to turn it back on.
If you’re lucky it remembered your settings, but more often than not it will have reset to 3W in powermode.
Other than that it does perform as expected.

Aesthetics.

The Luxbox wouldn’t be carrying the Playboy branding if it wasn’t something special in terms of looks.
And it really is a pretty mod… I have the version that sports brown leather and rose gold, but there are several color options available.
All the color options are also a colormatched mod and tank, which means you’ll have a complete setup that works well together.

The firebutton has the Playboy Bunny engraved on it, the leather has the same bunnies bevelled into it, and it all looks rather refined.
The brown leather is supposedly genuine leather and provides with ample grip, especially with the details bevelled into it. The stitching is strong and feels genuine too.
The top and bottom are rose gold and very shiny, but also attract fingerprints like crazy. It’s essentially a bit like the previous generations of the iStick, but a lot fancier.
The 510 connection on top is springloaded and the Vixen tank sits flush to form a nice coherent setup.
Going further on that trend, the glass on the Vixen tank is brown to match the brown leather on the mod, and so is the glass driptip which is similar to the one of the Crius.

Pros and Cons.

Pro.

• Small and easy to pocket
  • Vixen tank performs very well
  • Leather provides ample grip
  • Looks fancy as fuck
  • Glass driptip
  • Everything is colormatched

Con.

• Mod resets itself after 30mins
  • No °C support, only °F
  • Underpowered for the included 0.2ohm coilhead
  • Display is set too deep to be read at an angle
  • Genuine leather feels more like artificial leather
  • Too expensive

In conclusion.

The Playboy Luxbox Mini kit is obviously aimed at the vaper with a hole in its pocket.
While the mod does perform very nicely, it’s also severely underpowered for the 0.2ohm coilhead.
The Vixen tank does what it’s supposed to do and is quite airy, without losing focus of the flavor.
Whether or not the mod suits me in terms looks I have to admit that it does look very pretty and well built.
I’ve found myself bringing it to a dinnerparty a couple of weeks back and getting nothing but good comments on it.
The fact that it resets after half an hour if I dare put it down is the only flaw I can find besides the price.
It’s too expensive for what it is, which I suspect is because of the Playboy branding and fancy packaging.
Would I buy another one? No. Will I use this one until it breaks? Yes.

In closing I would like to thank Heavengifts.com for sending me the Playboy Luxbox Mini kit for review!
Thanks for reading, and I hope you’ll join me next time for a look at the Encom Snow Leopard 150W. (Which should’ve been published weeks ago… sorry, busy schedule!)

Addendum.

Heavengifts have just launched a mobile app for iOS and Android which includes additional discounts, contests and giftcards.
Have a look if you feel like getting that vapemail while on the go.

Need to reach me? Head over to my website.
Interested in what I vape daily? Check out my Instagram.
Want to know more about DIY? Head over to ELR.

#staycloudy !

SirRisc disappears in a cloud of berry menthol scented vapor

5 Likes

Ιt was one of the best and most thorough reviews I’vw ever read. And this compliment comes from a text-lover reviewer.
I have the silver/white kit from heavengifts as well. For review purposes. I use it every day 2 weeks now.
If I may add my 5cents:

• The mod is indeed expensive, but well built. Simple and efficient for what it promises, which isn’t a lot, but can satisfy the average vaper.

• The whole set is very beautiful, with an eye catcher gift pack.

• The mod shuts down automatically and needs 5 clicks to open but many times opens at 3.0W, forgetting your settings.

• Its 40W are a bit weak and the battery drains slightly faster than it should

• The Vixen atty is an exageration for the “weak” mod. For starters, there is a smaller vixen with 2.5ml capacity, which fits better at the compact atty, then the tall vixen 4.5ml. But even with the 2.5ml atty, the 0.5 and 0.2 coils are too subohm for a 40W single noname battery. 0.5 performs very well, but drains the battery quickly. 0.2 performs well, but it’s a battery eater and definately needs more power.
    The 0.1 Ni coil was a very pleasant surprise, since it performs great in TC mod.

• Overall, the vixen atty is superb as a subohm, having some great advantages. Please note, that is uses the same heads as Atlantis, ijust, melo and other atties. I haven’t tested it with other coil heads, but the 3 that came with, are of a superb quality. The atty itself is lightweight, very simple with a few parts, a very practical air adjusting ring and DOESN’T LEAK at all. The latter is a great advantage, since almost any other sub ohm atty I tested had leakage, even a slight one.

Testing last month Griffin 25 top airflow, simba UD and Vixen, I definately prefer Vixen, due to its simplicity, light weight and zero leakage.

Hope it helps. I love my palyboy kit and contunue to use it every day. Even the atty, which is a breakthrough for me, that I’m not a lung inhaler.

Thanks again for the great review

[URL=http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/petrast/media/playboy_vixen_mini_sub-ohm_tc_tank_zpsvrifbdl4.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/petrast/media/playpack1_zps01so4fac.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/petrast/media/plmod2_zps2zksoyuq.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/petrast/media/plmod1_zpszhlzrpmi.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/petrast/media/Screenshot%203_zpsguo2vl7m.png.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/petrast/media/plhole1_zps6jpdslst.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/petrast/media/playheads1_zpsp5mkjc18.jpg.html][/URL]

1 Like