Please help with tobacco flavors

I’ve been mixing for about 2 years , but never did anything with tobacco flavors,nor do I have any tobacco flavorings in my stash. I would be very grateful for the advice on what flvorings would be good for cigarette, cigar or pipe flavors.

5 Likes

Well this is a rather nebulous topic, so I’ll cover a little but feel free to ask questions and we’ll see where the rabbit-hole goes.

For workhorse tobaccos, I’d suggest using Virginia, Red Burley and Kentucky by Flavorah, along with Soho (FA) and Black for Pipe (Inawera). Those 5 will give you one hell of a basic palate to blend from. Soho is the most versatile of them and can be added to almost any style of blend (I’ve used it in everything apart from meat vapes so far).

When it comes to specifically making a blend to match a tobacco, well that depends on what you’re after: For pipe tobaccos, EMP is worlds away from Black Twist. If you can give me an idea of the kind of pipe tobacco you are after, then I can help. Although, Black for Pipe will add moisture, a little smoke and notes of mature tobacco to a blend and is easier to play with than Lovage Root.

The same issue with variety applies to cigars, though I find that I veer towards Ash Cigar (Molinberry) and Connecticut Shade (FLV) a lot. With both of them being used at 0.15-0.35%

Hope that helps with some basics. Obviously I can help more when you give me more details on the exact style of tobacco your after.

5 Likes

I’m glad someone brought this up. I’ve got someone that wants a tobacco vape, but I don’t vape tobaccos at all, so can’t (won’t!) do any SFTs of the flavors. He’s not too picky, and his palate is definitely not refined. He uses sub-ohm tanks and changes the coils 1-2x a month. (ugh!)

What flavors would you recommend, and what recipe would you suggest for someone that has a fairly difficult time tasting things? (typically orders juice w/ a couple of flavor shots)

3 Likes

Well I’d just ask for an impression of what they like: Details do help a lot. Tobacco is a nebulous term and means different things to many. E.g. I had one jump on a Virginia and Lemon Wedge this month and another on a Tatanka and Sour Apple. Both said to me that they were real tobacco.

So, a framework would help.

PS: I am currently trying Smoky Blue’s Winstin and, for me, I’d reduce the Lime Wedge to 0.08%. So each person’s perception of tobacco varies.

4 Likes

When I got here I experimented with a lot of tobacco flavors and combinations, with menthol. I have settled on one or two that I enjoy. Truth is, it has been so many years since I smoked a cigarette (8 years), I’m not even sure that what I am vaping tastes like tobacco. But my main one is a very simple recipe that includes TPA’s Western Flavor at 6 or 7 %, combined with one of a few different menthols at 1%, either Cappuccino or Moca at somewhere around 0.5 to 0.75% (less with Flavorah) and 0.5 to 1% Liquid Barn Sweetener. It’s not fancy. It’s not complex. It just hits my taste buds in just the right way.
Taste is so subjective, which is why there are so many flavors and flavor combinations, including with tobacco. Different strokes for different folks. I am glad for the variety of choices and combinations so everyone has he chance to fine what tickles their taste buds.

3 Likes

Whoops, I meant to reply to @kamanza and instead replied to @SquirrelSmash . Sorry for the goof.

2 Likes

It’s ok: It was interesting to see your view on a quitting blend.

2 Likes

Could I suggest that you are over-flavouring due to WS. Though, I do play with tiny variations in my own blends ( I do pick up on tiny variations).

2 Likes

Many of the tobacco’s taste like tobacco. Problem is it tastes like the leaf and not burning leaf. I guess that’s why the flavor company’s make additives.

3 Likes

I fell in love with RY4 style tobbacos, I mean caramel and vanilla? How could it possibly go wrong?! That’s how I quit smoking 6 years ago. I think it’s Flavor West Ry4, too. But, most of the Ry4 I have tried was good.

2 Likes

Many want more of a cigarette analogue over sickly sweet blends. I must admit that most of my tobaccos veer on the side of bitter and dry.

3 Likes

Ok, I considered Marlboro light to be a sweet tobacco back in the day when I smoked. Ugh, never liked ‘em. Me, bring on the Cowboy Killers! Marlboro Red. But, dark tobaccos eventually got replaced by RY4. One of my first vapes was Cosmic Fog, Milk and Honey plus a dark tobacco to give it the kick. It worked great! Back then, I was on like 3.2 of nic and now, 6 years later almost .3 Man, 6 mg was the hardest, I had to do some 4.5 (LOL RY4!) to drop down to 3.

2 Likes