Preferred steeping method?

Yes. It really is, isn’t it!!!

9 Likes

I use the hot water method with medical grade PET bottles. I have had no issue in my years of mixing. I just put water in my electric kettle, let it get busy, then take the water and pour it in a ceramic bowl and let the heat do it’s thing for a bit. Then take it out shake it up and put my mixes in coffee cans in the basement or a cool closet and let sit for a while. That is my tried and true method for steeping. Fruits do not take that long, a couple of days and ready to go. Custards and NETS take for ever to mature. So I give them about three weeks. I try hard not to break into my Barrel Age Custard, but damn that is too impossible.

6 Likes

@Dan_the_Man have you setup any steep vs. GC tests with your go to recipes ?? Planning a vid review ??

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m looking forward to hearing about a NET homogenized with the Game Changer. I can only assume they’ll meet the same fate- instantly ready to vape. But I have no experience with doing a NET so I’m curious to hear from someone.

6 Likes

Oh ya, me too!

I feel ya. LOL

Funny you mention that. Yes, I am planning a review, and yes I have set up some tests but before I got the GC my mind was abuzz with all I had planned and when it got here my mind just buzzed off!!

Luckily I started my favorite and almost famous English Cheesecake recipe which takes a minimum of six weeks to steep and comes to full maturity at the 90-day mark (approx.) I have one more batch I can make before one of the ingredients will be lost to me.

4 Likes

With all this talk about steeping, I’m kind of surprised I’ve not seen any mention of seed steeping.

I’ve had very good luck with it over the years, and specifically use it for juices I move a lot of, most in 500ml batches. Seed the fresh mixed with a small amount from steeped stock, and it shaves a week or two off of juices that I would typically let steep for 1 month. Not revolutionary, but very repeatable.

6 Likes

I do this quite often.

8 Likes

Happy to see you’re still here SD :rofl: :rofl: :upside_down_face: :cowboy_hat_face:

6 Likes

Thanks a lot @big_vape, the same to you Sir.

5 Likes

I’ve been doing that in my 120ml batches from the get-go, just didn’t know there was a name for it! :+1:

7 Likes

Is there a specific storage space that is recommended ie dark cool space etc

6 Likes

There are many opinions for this, but the majority that I have read here, prefers a dark place, at room temperature …

6 Likes

Don’t be intimidated by all the information …
Simply choose a recipe, make it, and let it marinate for the recommended time, if you do not set the mashing time, you can use 2-3 days for fruits, 2-3 weeks for cakes and 3-4 weeks for tobaccos.
You can also test it as time goes by and see how it evolves.
It is easy. It is almost impossible to do something wrong. You may not like the chosen recipe, but getting it wrong is difficult.
Excuse my grammar, I use the translator.

6 Likes

Great questions @dixie1, and welcome to ELR. As stated above, there may be many different responses, but I just mix mine up, and I have an entire shelf setup for juice. Avoiding direct sunlight and heat is best if you can.

6 Likes

I like these threads because you find everyone has different methods, and in their opinions, it works. That is what matters. What works for you is the right way.

I have a hotplate magnetic stirrer that I use snd at one time I did a lot of experimentation and comparison testing with it. One strawberry custard I made was on my stirrer for like 6 hours at 120°F (fell asleep and the temp creeped up a bit). When I woke up I found the juice had turned from a clear liquid to a beautiful gold color.

All my juice darkened on the stirrer, but that time it was different. It looked to be more translucent (less cloudy), and deeper in color. It turned out to be one of the best juices I have ever vaped - right off the stirrer. Subsequent attempts at making the recipe with shelf steeping for a couple months, stirring at 110°F for a couple hours, then shelf steeping a month or so just never turned out as good.

I came to believe different concoctions do better at different temps and stir times. But I also think the longer a juice sits in the closet, the better it gets. Just don’t add nicotine until a week or so before you vape it. Because nicotine eventually goes bad at room temp.

And one thing for certain… bubbles are a bad thing in juice with nicotine in it. Don’t froth or create bubbles in juice with nicotine in it. I can show you an old thread of mine where the only logical reason a couple bottles from the same batch of good bottles went bad due to bubbles in some bottles and none in others. Oxygen and nicotine do not play well together.

9 Likes

Awesome ty for letting me know as I’d like to learn as much as I can about making my own juice

5 Likes

I usually steep my mix in my drawer. make sure it’s dry, though.

4 Likes

@dixie1 Creams and bakeries custards go in my box to steep while they are steeping about one month or two I mix up fruits which I’ll Shake and vape straight away

5 Likes

Isn’t the dark cool space kinda like juice’s own crock pot its low and slow?

5 Likes

To bad I never knew about seed steeping, I must have missed the discussions.

4 Likes