Premix nic

im ordering a 500ml of 6mg premix because its cheaper for me rn and I only vape 3 our flavors are already loaded with pg but I still want good flav no throat hit. I don’t like it. What ratio would you suggest? I can specify what I want my vg and pg at checkout.

3 Likes

You should order the highest nic you can either in straight PG or VG. It makes life so much easier with the calculator. Use one of your recipes and simulate it with both VG and PG and you’ll see what I mean. Considering if it’s from a Canadian supplier with a 20mg/ml limit now.

4 Likes

PG is much easier to work with, and the highest level you can buy, so much less of your mix will be the NIC solution.

5 Likes

True, but the nic alone takes up 15% of the total in PG. So depending on her likes, well :woman_shrugging:
She’s a 70VG gal and can make all her public recipes except 1 so far if she goes with PG.

3 Likes

I agree with @SessionDrummer. Order it in PG, since VG is thick it’s harder to work with.

No matter which you get, when you put the Nic in the calculator be sure to put in the correct ratio of PG/VG it’s in. That’ll take care of how much PG or VG you’ll need to add to get it to what you want your final recipe to contain. That way you can get it the way you want w/out worrying about too much throat hit and still get good flavor and it won’t be dependent on your Nic.

@big_vape mentioned that 20mg/ml is available in Canada. I don’t know the price of the 500ml bottle you’re talking about vs 20mg/ml Nic. Comparatively speaking, the 20mg/ml should cost less, depending on the vendor. You’ll use less and you’ll be able to make over 3x the juice vs the 6mg pre-mix.

5 Likes

I only ever get my nicotine in 100% PG. I profoundly dislike faffing around with VG: I could tally up hours wasted from measuring it out.

1 Like

@ladycrooks let me expand on my previous post. The weaker NIC you use, the MORE you will need to use. Beyond any cumbersome numbering through the calculator, extremely weak NIC / Base will lead to filling up quite a bit of your bottle with JUST that. I’m not following what NIC levels are allowed in Canada, but adding the LEAST amount to every one of your mixes should be prioritized.

4 Likes

@ladycrooks , here is a few examples of what session is talking about . based on making a 50/50 mix (my preference) and highest achievable nic levels achievable and still get a 50/50 mix using 1 flavor . and a pg based nicotine

Capella - Apple pie v2
Nicotine Strength 2.00 mg (highest str achievable to get a 50/50 mix)
PG Level 50.00%
VG Level 50.00%
Amount to make 60.000 ml
Ingredient, Ing %,  Volume
6mg, 33.33%,  20.000 ml
Nicotine River - PG, 6.67%,  4.000 ml
Nicotine River - VG, 50.00%,  30.000 ml
Capella - Apple Pie v2, 10.00%, 6.000 ml
Single flavor test
Capella - Apple pie v2
Nicotine Strength 8.00 mg (highest str achievable to get a 50/50 mix)
PG Level 50.00%
VG Level 50.00%
Amount to make 60.000 ml

20 mg nicotine, 40.00%,  24.000 ml

Nicotine River - PG, 0.00%,  0.000 ml
Capella - Apple Pie v2, 10.00%,  6.000 ml
Capella - Apple pie v2 
Nicotine Strength 24.00 mg
PG Level 50.00%
VG Level 50.00%
Amount to make 60.000 ml
Liquid Barn - 10% (100mg/ml)  CNT Nicotine, 24.00%,  14.400 ml
Nicotine River - PG, 16.00%,  9.600 ml
Single flavor test

just a few examples - to show the difference of the nic base str - i used to vape 24mg when i first got off cigs . was the only str that didnt leave me craving cigs. im down to 9mg now .

and here an exampl of 6mg vg base nic

Capella - Apple pie v2 
Nicotine Strength 3.00 mg 
PG Level 50.00%
VG Level 50.00%
Amount to make 60.000 ml
Ingredient, Ing %, Drops, Weight, Volume
6mg (100% vg base) , 50.00%,  30.000 ml
Nicotine River - PG, 40.00%,  24.000 ml
Nicotine River - VG, 0.00%,  0.000 ml
Single flavor test
4 Likes

If I understand correctly, you vape 70VG at 3mg/ml. I put those numbers in a calculator and a 6mg/ml premix of 50/50 won’t work for you. Neither would 100% PG. The highest your VG could get is around 40. For the premix I’d suggest 100% VG.

But like @SessionDrummer, @tartarusspawn and I have said in our different ways, it is less expensive in the long run to get Nic with the highest concentration possible.

@ladycrooks - Here is a calculator showing how much Nic you’d have to use with the 6mg/ml premix vs the 20mg/ml Nic that @big_vape mentioned. I used the same amounts that @tartarusspawn did to try to make more sense of things. I hope this clarifies things for you instead of muddies the waters further.

4 Likes

Another way to really SEE how burdensome low level NIC can be in mixes, beyond the limiting factors imposed on your FINAL VG and PG values (related).

When using a hypothetical NIC @ 6mg and a 50v/50p carrier, HALF of every bottle you mix up will BE that NIC/carrier.

By stepping up to a 20mg 50v/60p NIC, now, you only have to fill up 15% of your bottle with that NIC/Carrier.

Both those examples are resolved to a final NIC level of 3mg, and trying to increase that final NIC level any higher, will lead to even MORE of your bottle’s space being taken up by that NIC/Carrier.

8 Likes

@ladycrooks it can be hard to show ALL aspects, drawbacks of using both low level NIC, and/or a pre-mixed pg/vg level can have on your mixing, but it can be VERY limiting. Plus, just imagine EVERY time you mix up a recipe, if at least HALF of your bottle is used by JUST the NIC, you can also see that you will be burning through your NIC/carrier at a very high rate.

8 Likes

50% of the premix vs 15% of 20mg/ml - both @SessionDrummer and my calculators show that’s how much will be used in every recipe, no matter how much flavoring you use or how much you make.

sorry to flog a dead horse here

4 Likes

omg thats why some of my recipies are way too harsh. Fuck I just realized what is doing it. Son a bitch. Ive been getting beautiful ones mixing same but with my 3mg 80/20 then boom! Fucked.

5 Likes

I was just going by what I read that you vape 3mg 70VG. If you don’t have the right starting Nic base, you won’t be able to make juice the way you want. If your premix was 3mg, then it’s not possible for your juice to be 3mg.

Are you using a calculator of any kind? The one I used to compare a 6mg/ml premix with a 20mg/ml mix is eJuiceMeUp. It’s easy to use and works on Windows. I think there’s a Mac version, too. There’s also a calculator on ELR - look for the wrench-shaped icon. It allows you to adapt a recipe in any way that you want - Nic base, target Nic, PG/VG, etc.

There are other calculators, but I think most people use the one on ELR. I hope this info helps you, @ladycrooks :slight_smile:

5 Likes

YES !!! @FL_Vaper.

3 Likes

Thankfully I am NOT PG sensitive, and that’s actually a REAL THING for some people. Because I"m not, 100% PG NIC was the only sane choice for me. I’ve tried over the years, testing 100% VG NIC, and it was SOOO THICK, I had to COMPLETELY thaw it out to even BEGIN to be able to work with it, and even then, it was not fun. NOW, another thing to keep in mind about THAT little tidbit, is that if you are forced to completely freeze/thaw your NIC, it was cause negative effects ON that NIC, and far worse,than typical long term storage degradation and/or oxidation.

3 Likes

I have been getting for the most part 2.6 to 2.7 mg out of my 3mg which I really don’t notice the difference but yes you are right I do lose some. I scrapped the premix idea anyway and just ordered more regular 65mg/ml nic. I don’t like the premix much anyway it confuses me then I change it on the calculator its just not worth the hassle

5 Likes

It DOES make things not only more complicated, but also more limiting for sure.

3 Likes

“Ppfffff. . . . .” :smirk:

2 Likes

You ever watch that ed bass master? The pfftt guy? He’s all over YouTube. Everytime I hear that I totally think of him. Pffffttt!!
He does another funny one “just look at it!” Would you just look at it. Look at that look at this…lol!!

3 Likes