Preserving - long term storage (of PG, VG, nic, base, flavors & eliquid)

Hi there. I’m new here.
And since I’m sure that there are much more experienced vapers who know more than I do, I’m just wondering: where do you keep your -

1. PG
  2. VG
  3. nicotine (conc. doesn’t matter, lets say: 36 mg/ml, diluted in either PG or VG.)
  4. flavors - all those dear 10-milliliter bottles.
  • *****especially:
  1. finished bases (lerts say 50:50:10 PG:VG:water… but it doesnt matter. it can be 70:30 vg:pg, no water.)
  2. finished e-liquids (base + flavor, that steeped for 3-4 weeks in dark place in room, with occasional shaking)

a) in a fridge? (5’ Celsius)
b) freezer (-15 ’ c)
c) in a dark place in the room, in a cabinet (room temp, 18-30’, depending on the weather outside.)

Especially 5 and 6, since I want my base and finished e-liquid to last. (without any negative effect that COLD may cause. Cool != Cold, isnt it? Low temp can be as bad as high/Sun, cause its also extreme condition, specially for steeped e-juice. Or you never had any problems with 6-a, after… 5-6-7 months in fridge)

So - how/where do you store your previous DUY supplies? :slight_smile:

Its good to know, specially if I want to make larger (500 ml, 1 L +) batches… of different (DIY) eliquids.

1. PG Room temp
  2. VG Room temp
  3. nicotine Deep freeze, but I do keep a small bottle, not more than I use in 1-2 weeks, at room temp
  4. flavors Room temp
  5. finished bases Room temp, but I only make enough to last me 1-2 weeks
  6. finished e-liquids (base + flavor, that steeped for 3-4 weeks in dark place in room, with occasional shaking) In a black wooden steeping box at room temp unless they’re in use.

All of my mixing supplies are stored in my vape cave which is in the basement. Room temp is approximately 69-71 degrees fahrenheit year round, and the room has thick curtains so it stays very dark unless I’m mixing.
I’ve never had any issues with finished juice going bad when stored as I do, and I have several bottles of juice that are at least 6+ months old.

10 Likes

What she said :point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2: :grin:

Might also be something in here that helps:

Have fun and welcome to ELR! :smiley:

8 Likes

ACTUALLY ( insert British accent ) it’s the 13th floor

5 Likes

Beautiful British accent :ok_hand::laughing:

4 Likes

@Lolly… Thank youuu thank you very much ( that one was Elvis ) :wink:

2 Likes

@VapeyMama

Would you also know what the big company’s do in theyr e-liquids that keeps it well for a long time?
When i do a mix and , example, steep is about 16 days , after 2 months some of the liquid has been decayed sort of speek…
I wonder how the bigger company’s do this cause theyr liquids hold up for almost a year if not more…

Thx

1 Like

You know what, I have no idea. Lol! I’m guessing they’re developed specifically with the intention of having them go through a long steep. Other than that I don’t have any clue as to whether they add something that preserves them or not!

2 Likes

Plunging into the depth of secrets of the big company’s.
(starts indiana jones music) … :laughing:

In other words, they probably add something that makes the steep proces longer or the base has been adapted with somekind of preserval additive or something.

Interesting …

I think that they just premix flavors like one-shot concentrate and when they have an order they add VG PG and nic.

2 Likes

That’s what I do for our juices. Although I do leave my mixes on a magnetic mixer for not just a few minutes or hours, but days! 99% of our juices have held up for a year or more. One didn’t, but I blame that on the cheap flavors I used at that time.
I don’t know of any preservatives in use in the flavor industry that could be used. There was an article in P&F about this exact problem with long term storage of flavoring components.

4 Likes

Possible, but I doubt it.

Personally, it’s just that they have enough experience with what flavors maintain their properties over the long term, and are selective about the brands they use directly as a result of such traits! :wink:
YMMV

1 Like

Can you say more for that?

Is a heat on this magnetic mixer? Propable not.
And refrigerator I have read that mute the flavor. Do you know somethink about?

1 Like

Nope, no heat on that stirrer. Just a 4 point stirring tool. It’s like shaking a mix, but instead of just a few minutes it goes on for anywhere from 24 - 120 hrs, depending on what flavors are in the mix and how difficult it is to get them to combine with the other flavors.
A heavy mix, ie, 70/30 with custards would be at least a week on the mixer, simply because it is so hard to make a custard come through properly in a vg heavy mix at low percentages. Now a simple fruit flavor would just get a 24 mix.
I haven’t ever refrigerated my mixes. Finished batches go into our “dark room” it’s just a room that has shelves, the room is covered in a non-porous black laminate. A box painted black on the inside works just fine, in fact that’s how I started.
I would be leary of putting a finished mix in refrigeration. The chemical bonds are too subseptiable to breaking in high and low temperatures.

2 Likes

@Sprkslfly @Flavologist @Laberythm

Your all probably right and as Flavologist says, a mixer for like a full day is very likely then our quick shakes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Think that if they don’t have a way like this they should have to make for each flavor.
0mg 3mg 6mg 9mg 12mg 15mg 18mg
and 100%VG, 30-70 PG-VG, 50-50, 70-30 PG-VG.
so 7x4= 28 bottles for an e-liquid. Is alot :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have heard that citric acid in small amounts helps preserve both flavor and nicotine (in an already mixed juice) so if you want, you can put a bit in if you are planning on making a larger batch that you will have for a while.

I have yet to get any citrus flavor from citric acid, so I wouldn’t worry too much about it affecting the flavor profile.

2 Likes

Do you have to store flavour consintrates in glass bottles?

1 Like

Do flavour consintrates need to be stored in glass bottles?

1 Like