PrintNightmare Microsoft Vulnerability (FIX)

Thanks out to @SthrnMixer who brought this up on the VC.

Yesterday, Microsoft released multiple Windows updates to fix the widely reported “PrintNightmare” vulnerability in the Windows Print Spooler service.

According to Microsoft, this vulnerability is impacting all Windows 10 versions, including the most recent May 2021 Update (version 21H1) and version 20H2 (October 2020 Update).

To deploy Microsoft’s patch, you need to check for updates under Updates & Security > Windows Update and apply the latest July update, and reboot the system when prompted.

Alternatively, you can install the emergency update manually from the Microsoft Update catalog if you are unable to do so via the normal Windows Update procedure.

However, researchers have revealed that Microsoft’s patch is incomplete and attackers can still abuse the vulnerability to gain access to the system. Thankfully, you can temporarily disable the Windows Print Spooler service to mitigate the vulnerability until a proper fix is released.

RE-Read …

However, researchers have revealed that Microsoft’s patch is incomplete and attackers can still abuse the vulnerability to gain access to the system.

DISABLE Print Spooler via PowerShell

ENABLE Print Spooler (If requred) via PowerShell

Reference:

5 Likes

Yay for not using w10!! :rofl:

5 Likes

What do you use then?

3 Likes

w7 or Linux.

3 Likes

I wanted to do Linux but it confused the crap out of me and I don’t have the time I need to learn it. I should take a class or something.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot to debloat after the last few updates.

4 Likes

It’s actually a rather serious issue, and from what I’ve read, MS’s original “patch” didn’t close the hole. Obviously it’s more dangerous on servers, but can effect all W10 machines.

3 Likes

Win7 is also vulnerable to PrintNightmare.

6 Likes

Thank you for the heads up!
I’ll have to look into a patch (before I get that machine back on the network).

5 Likes

I just disabled Print Spooler file in Services on my other computer that doesn’t have a printer and i’ll wait for couple of weeks at least before installing a patch on this one. Have w7 on both.

4 Likes