Problems with my subtank mini rta

I don’t have this tank but I’ve been building vertical 3mmID coils using 316L stainless wire and experiencing great results. I just fill the barrel/tube with cotton to just a hair below the top of the coil; and I’m good to go. Just make sure to saturate the cotton before you put it all together.

1 Like

nice and fluffy for best results

2 Likes

OK a lot of good things cover I have been using kanger tanks for past 9 months now some times I go through a period were no matter what I do I can’t seem to get the exact same build to work .my self I use twisted 26 GA for A1 kanthal and do a Clapton for titanium I refuse to use occ heads .I use double air intake v1 and single early v1 I have also modified my RBA before they came out with the v2 the tank is one of my favorites. In mater fact if I could only keep one style of RTA RBA IT WOULD be my kanger plus now the system I use I got from the Don mod my kanger yours being a v2 it will be in the wicking and coil build easy build 3 mil center 26 GA around 4 raps spaced put you around .6 ohms I like the large center more cotton for starting out and stick with your building I am so glade i stuck with it So many times about ready to just give up glade i did not good luck

2 Likes

i think ive cracked it as im getting incredible flavour and no dry hits, id like to thanks everyone that has helped :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m still getting the feel for my RBA as well. I’m finding out it’s a finicky little bugger. It’s a very fine line between burned wicks and sloppy spitbacks. I’m a low power vaper, rarely going over 10w. Even at that low power, the wicks will run dry, if they’re too tight. I’ve spent all morning practicing & testing, and presently have it just right.

I even experimented with a vertical coil, in the RBA. I was very careful to leave clearance at the top of that coil, so it didn’t short out on the chimney tube. Aside from some occasional gurgling, it actually wasn’t too bad. I tried it for an hour or so, and then took it apart, and unwound the wick, to check for scorching. It was pretty clean. I may do some more experimenting with vertical builds in the future.

As a side note, I read that Kanger was phasing out the OCC horizontal coils, and going vertical. The case, or housing, on the vertical coils are one piece now. I know there are people out there that rebuild the horizontal OCC coils. Might want to stock up on a few extras, if the phase out rumor is true. They may be getting harder to find.

2 Likes

Happy to hear this! Good work!

I’m not a coil building pro but, I have a mini and a plus that each came with extra .5 ohm coils and the v1 RBA deck ( never tried the v1). I purchased the v2 RBA deck separately. I use thick juice at about 80%VG and with the stock coils I get better flavor than with the occ vertical coils from Kanger. For wicking I cut the cotton closer to the coil so that the cotton is just lightly touching the barrel and fits somewhat loose in the coil. The only problem I have with this method is with heavy vaping I have to replace the wick every 2 to 3 days when it starts giving me a burnt taste. This may be because the juice I was using has a flavor that is prone to gunk up coils. I stopped using it because I’m lazy and got tired of re wicking it every other day. Now that I don’t use the coil gunking flavor anymore I may give the Kanger plus with the v2 RBA deck another shot.

What I have been using and loving is an iSub G tank. I find it has better flavor than the Kanger sub tanks even with the RBA deck. I do have to poke the cotton with a pin due to my high VG juice or I can’t burn the coils up fast. With the pin trick I can vape at 30 to 35 watts, without the pin trick I’m lucking if I can vape at 25 watts without burning the coil.

Anyway congrats on getting your V2 deck to work for you:)

1 Like