Properly charging 18650's (i4)

I just bought the i4 charger and I’ve seen mixed things on properly charging your batteries. If I charge 2 batteries do I need to put in bay 1&3 or 2&4? Or does it not matter? Also if I charge 3 batteries should I put in specific bays? Any info back guys would be greatly appreciated!

The charger has two charger channels, one channel is handling slot #1 and #3, the other channel is handling slot #2 and #4. When charging cells in both slots for a channel, time division is used to distribute the charge (See scope traces).

Source

When charging two batteries use one slot from each channel. Either:

1 and 2
1 and 4
2 and 3
3 and 4

With three batteries it doesn’t matter. When I was using my i4 I used slot 1 and 4 :slightly_smiling:

6 Likes

I’ve been doing it wrong all this time!

From reading that link though, if I understand correctly I think all that does is make a pair of batteries charge more slowly? I mean, I haven’t had any wear out quickly or anything…

1 Like

If you use the same channel - that is charging 2 batteries in port 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 - then it will take almost double the time, since it alternates between charging each battery… By using a channel for each, they can charge simultaneously :slightly_smiling:

4 Likes