Properly storing nicotine

@sarge12 I just pulled out a 500ml bottle of VG nic 72mg/ml last weekend that has been in the freezer for 2.5 years. It’s in perfect condition.
If you freeze your nic, I do recommend to store it in amber glass bottles. Avoid PET or other plastic storage containers.

3 Likes

Yes it does become a bit confusing doesn’t it.
For me I work on the principle that unopened it goes in the fridge, once opened it goes in the freezer.
YMMV of course.

2 Likes

I strongly agree.

I’m still pulling down 100mg nic that’s been stored going on 4 years now (in the freezer) and there’s no noticeable change.

I’ve been mixing it at 3mg for the first couple years, and 2mg for the last year+. I don’t know if there would be any change for someone mixing at higher levels. But that’s my experience.

6 Likes

First things first, welcome to ELR @sarge12, and secondly, ANY planning ahead you can do, is always great. I’m back to purchasing my NIC only from NN, and having gone through countless liters of freebase, Armor 1, 2, and 3, I have always kept them in the freezer, broken down into amber 60-120ml bottles with good caps, and just cannot complain.

On a SIDE NOTE, one thing I WOULD like to caution EVERYONE reading this thread, especially if they are breaking down their NIC into smaller glass bottles (the best way to add years of life), is to ALWAYS leave some headspace on their smaller bottles. While NOT wanting to delve into the whole, “NIC, PG, and VG don’t freeze in the freezer” debate, I CAN say that I was actually able to POP a few tops off, and crack/shatter a few on one of my liter breakdowns. The NIC was chilly out of the freezer, and I was breaking down into bottles, capping as I went. Obviously the NIC and PG were warming to room temp, and before I could get the whole batch done, a few of the caps POPPED OFF, broken, and as I was scrambling to figure out what was going on, slid two bottles into each other with a nice CLINK, and one shattered. NOW, this CLEARLY shows, that SOMETHING was increasing pressure wise inside my bottles AS the NIC/PG was warming. This came as somewhat of a shock as I had already broken down countless liters before with no issue. Now I ALWAYS leave at least a 1/2" airgap (headspace) in every bottle.

12 Likes

What is the safest way of getting the nic base into bottles for storage?

2 Likes

@HawaiianVaporTraiz I’m glad you asked.

SAFETY FIRST !!!

Unless you are a pro (and even then you should), you should use eye protection, and gloves. NO pets, or children in the area, and preferably a hard surface, like glass or stainless steel in case there is a spill, and easy to clean up.

Safe space, personal safety – Check, check.

Keep your work area clear of anything you don’t need to distribute the NIC. Shipping container, glass bottles, caps, and a funnel. Make sure to shake your source NIC VERY good, so it’s evenly dispersed, and if you are using 100% VG NIC, you’ll be shaking for quite a while. Once shaken, (goggles and gloves on), pour your NIC into your storage bottles, leaving 3/4" to 1" of headspace for expansion/contraction. If you use Argon gas, spray a short 1-2 second spray to displace any air in the headspace, cap, then tape (I do) the caps. I highly recommend labeling each bottle (labels) and then put them into ziplocks, which can be labeled again. Try to get all the air out of the ziplocks just for ease of stacking, and store in your favorite NON-KID accessible freezer.

Any questions, hit me up.

5 Likes

I guess the best way of transferring the nic base would be to pour into a smaller container, and then using a syringe to transfer to storage bottles?

Or pour into a glass or plastic beaker and then add to storage bottles?

3 Likes

Give me some details. What strength and PG/VG is your NIC, and in what size container ?
I use larger 500ml bottles and have a stainless steel funnel, and pour (I’ve done this before) from gallon bottles into the 500ml bottles.

2 Likes

If you have a large shipping container, and/or have not done this before, then off-loading from the large shipping container, into intermediate containers for ease of pouring is fine.

3 Likes

Sorry, guess I should’ve included more details in my question. I’m planning on purchasing 2-liters (2-1 liter containers) of 100mg/ml nic base, 100% PG.

Nothing like an upcoming vape mail ban to get a person interested (scared) into making his or her own ejuice. I currently vape pre-made at 3 mg.

Hopefully that small supply, if I store them properly, will hold for at least 2-3 years, by which time I may go nic free.

3 Likes

how much juice do you use in a day ?

3 Likes

I never really gave it much thought until a few days ago. I go through about 3-4 tankfuls per day (4 ml capacity tank). So a 120-ml bottle at 3 mg nic pre-made juice usually lasts about two weeks, tops.

3 Likes

3mg, 16ml a day, 2ltr 100mg = 11.4 years

5 Likes

Dang, that’s a long time! Math was never my strong point, so thanks for the calculations!

2 Likes

how old are you ?

4 Likes

Quite a bit older than some of the other vapers on this forum. Let’s just say I’m over 50, but less than 60. LOL

4 Likes

Is that teflon tape covering the caps, or battery shrink wraps? Sorry for the dumb questions, this vape mail ban has my thinking all fuzzy

3 Likes

so, your the same age as me. oh, and you must be female.

he tapes the caps.

5 Likes

Oh, and I forgot to include I plan to store the nic base in 60 ml, Boston Round, Amber Glass bottles with leak- resistant caps.

3 Likes

get 120’s. and a “working” bottle. i use a glass with the dripper, and keep it in the fridge.

4 Likes