Query RTA short?

Could I please have some advice…

I rewired & rewicked my Augvape Intake Dual (clone I think) today.
After setting it up I was not getting anything on the draw. Checked the ohms, read @ 0.45 for a 0.6ohm coil (ss316l).

No error msg on the mod (Vaporesso Gen 80S).

Rewired with a new coil, same issue.

Checked on Geekvape Aegis 100 mod - same issue.

No issue with another Intake Dual with the same setup on either mod.

Remove coil from deck put back on vaporesso mod, ohms at 1.5ish with no coil.
Figured a bit of wire must be lodged in the grub screws, removed all four. Ohms now at 1.8.

Searched for an answer here, couldn’t find one.
Figured it has shorted so removed 510 pin, is all black & insulated end is cottony? (I’ve never pulled a pin out befor)
And smells like it shorted.
See pic…

Is this 510 pin stuffed?

Is the deck stuffed?
Can I replace the pin with a new one & re-use the deck?

Many thanks in advance.

3 Likes

First of all it looks like a OG Intake to me. Mine is the identical to what you have on the table down to the color.
I wouldn’t trash anything but give it a good cleaning to start. Soak all the parts in rubbing alcohol for awhile and see if you can clean everything up. If it doesn’t clean up well clean it up with a fine wire brush. Avoid or remove the seal on the 510… Inspect for loose wire from old coils then reassemble. You shouldn’t need a new 510 unless the threads are damaged.
Everything your cleaning is either stainless steel or brass so it should clean up well and shouldn’t be damaged from a little shorting from loose wire from old install’s. Good luck and take your time.

4 Likes

Thanks rcleven,
What about the cottony? Stuff on the pin, do I pull it off?

2 Likes

Yeah remove the stuff round the insulator if it’s damaged you need to replace it or you will have a short

3 Likes

Bugger, I can’t seem to find any spares :cry:

1 Like

Check other boxes looks pretty standard always save your box’s I’ve got loads of them

3 Likes

@Sevencasper late to this party, but as @Grabbo said …

[quote=“Grabbo, post:4, topic:271613, full:true”]
Yeah remove the stuff round the insulator if it’s damaged you need to replace it or you will have a short
[/quote] …

You’ve got a short, and the insulator appears to have failed. Obviously, with NO coil, it should be “Open Circuit” or infinite resistance.

OR …

What is that junked up on the screw ??

3 Likes

I would say yes. The 510 seal should be solid and not stuffed with anything so it is foreign.

3 Likes

I’ve never seen a 510 look like that before. And you’ve never taken the pin out until now? My first thought was maybe the pin was off after the deck had been built with the cotton in place, and some had crept into the 510 hole. Very strange. But, I would give the deck a good flush with the pin removed, rinse the pin off and make sure there isn’t any bits of wire or anything else on the threads, and try it again. You shouldn’t have any resistance readings with no coil in place. If you do, it could be a worn or cracked deck insulator.

5 Likes

That’s what I was thinking @Lostmarbles.

2 Likes

@Lostmarbles, @Sevencasper I’d like to see a closeup of the Peek insulator and pin after it’s all cleaned up. I guess it’s possible that the gunked and funked cotton COULD have been bridging across the positive and negative.

3 Likes

Good question, it looks/feels like cotton.

Good, I’ll take it off when I clean it.

Nope.

:laughing: well if you guys don’t know, no wonder I have no clue.

I’ll check that when I clean it.

That’s what I’m thinking now…

Thanks everyone, I’ll update when I’ve cleaned it & had a closer :eyes:

4 Likes

Well I finally got around to cleaning the deck.

Turns out there were two minuscule pieces of wire amongst the trash (see pic, left of the cotton is the wire).
I found them on the 510 pin insulator but as everything had been soaking in the same ramekin :woman_shrugging:

I also unwrapped the cotton? from the 510 pin and it seems more synthetic and firmer than cotton.
I’m wondering if it got caught there during the manufacturing process :woman_shrugging:

No matter, everything has cleaned up well & is put back together & functioning!!

Thanks everyone for your input! :hugs:

11 Likes