Question about pre-steeping

I have searched and cannot really find a definitive answer.
has anyone tested if I we can mix a 10% concentration or more (like custards) then dilute % or less after a month and be ready to shake and vape vape or does it need to re-steep? I have been doing my own experiments and to me it seems like it does work which suggests steeping is mostly a maillard reaction, not just a dissolution reaction.
any input appreciated

2 Likes

@warkwarth I THINK I know what you are asking, but not 100%. If you’re asking if you can PRE-mix flavors only (base) and let steep, then after steeping JUST the flavor base, add it directly to your PG/VG/NIC mix and shake and vape ??

If so, my custard/bakery results showed me that SOME of the steeping time was reduced by doing so. I tested using a 8 flavor custard/bakery mix and steeped for 2 months, after which I tested a small mixer with the PG/VG/NIC and it was MUCH better than a freshly total mixed shake and vape. I did seem to be missing “something” that I couldn’t nail down. Let the tester (flavor base, pg, vg, NIC) all steep for an additional week and all was back to normal.

IMO from what I saw MUCH of the steeping time could be reduced by pre-mixing a flavor base, but not all of it.

3 Likes

Bulk of steeping is all that flavor base mixing and blending with VG.

If that worked you could snv bakery oneshots, and those need steeping as well.

I always tell people that they can put their juice in a warm bath for 45 minutes at 45 degrees C, then put them in an ultrasonic cleaner for 3 minutes, place them in sous vide for 2 hours at 55 degrees C, and in the end leave them in a cool dark place for a month, and the juices will come out just perfect :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have read some interesting anecdotal stories on another forum (sorry!) which suggests adding concentrates and nicotine together, letting that steep together and adding PG/VG a week or two later, seeming to reduce the overall steep time of long term steepers. but it’s not something I’ve conclusively tested myself yet. The addition of the nicotine did seem to be important in it making a difference in their experiences

3 Likes

Nope.

The Maillard reaction is a chemical reaction between amino acids and reducing sugars that gives browned food its distinctive flavour.

Since we don’t have amino acids and we shouldn’t have any sugar it is not a Maillard reaction. I believe it is simply oxidation of the flavours and or nicotine.

^^^ this

@BikesAndBacon this is plausible as oxidation of Acetyl Propiniol results in Diacetyl making those long steeping creams/custards feel finished earlier. It will still take time for the flavours to fully blend unless you are using a high shear mixer or similar.

7 Likes

Sorry I was “indisposed” when I wrote that.
I was wondering about that as well but my mainly if I can mix say a custard at 10% in PG/VG let it steep a month or so then dilute it to 5% or less in different recipes would it still be steeped or does it need to completely re-steep?

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer. dissolution does make sense since smaller molecules like fruits “steep” faster and the bigger ones are slower. Can’t help but feel there is more to it.

2 Likes