R.I.P. Eddie

Another great musician gone too soon!
https://www.npr.org/2020/10/06/834995224/eddie-van-halen-guitar-hero-dies-at-65

18 Likes

So many good times way back when. Sad.

11 Likes

Sad day. I saw Eddie live in concert once. Blew me away. One of the greats. RIP :heart:

12 Likes

Very sad day.

RIP Eddie.

10 Likes

R.I.P. Eddie :cry:
From Rick Beato yesterday:

From Rick Beato today:

13 Likes

Nice Post @Rocky02852

Watching those videos made me go through some emotions… More than one and one I try to avoid. I was 12 when 1984 came out and it didn’t take long for me to know every lyric. I can still sing most of Van Halen’s songs. I was quite angry when David Lee Roth left but I got over it very quickly when I heard Sammy Hagar as the Lead Singer. I didn’t think it would work but it did and worked well.

@TorturedZen I read that article and there are a couple of points that I or the author had wrong. I’m gonna guess it was me that is wrong. I thought Michael Anthony was fired to make room for Wolfgang. The author says Michael left and then Wolf came into the band. He also said David Lee Roth Left first but I’m pretty sure he was fired also. I could be wrong but damn if so, I’ve been wrong for years. LOL

R.I.P Eddie Van Halen you will be missed.

9 Likes

RIP Eddie.

8 Likes

I was 12 when their debut album released. My world, …the world changed that year. My friends and I played the shit out of that album. We replaced needles in record players and replaced the album itself :laughing: So many of my friends became very good guitarist. So many of the top bands featured lead guitar along with stage appeal after that. Every guitarist tortured themselves trying to play some of his stuff note-for-note but it took until Eddie let outsome secrets before anyone truly could(only few can, still). He was very innovative making his riffs unique.

To me there is nothing that compares to a live performance by someone who is a truly good lead guitarist in a rock band. Eddie was one of the best and probably amongst the top 5 for the most influential guitarist ever.

RIP Eddie, cheers :beers::guitar:

8 Likes

It depends on who you believe…EVH or MA.
Both have their side of the story. But regarding Wolfgang… he’s not a shitty bass player, but has nowhere near the bass playing talent nor vocal ability that Mike Anthony has.

7 Likes

I was the same age & bought the album when it first came out. It was truly unlike anything I had been listening to. What a sad thing he’s gone.

8 Likes

Some really good stuff on DD you won’t hear enough of …

10 Likes

Just the VERY end of the show …

8 Likes

When my son was in High School we attended one of the talent shows and there was a kid that had mental health/developmental issues and he was a huge VH fan, according to my son. He told us to make sure we were in our seats when they announced him. When they announced that he would be playing Eruption, well… I don’t think anyone expected much and that kid SHREDDED it! It was so awesome. He made a couple of small mistakes that if you never heard the song before, you probably wouldn’t have noticed and got a standing O. He came in second behind a very impressive young lady with classical opera training.
Just goes to show you how powerful music can be outside of “mere” music.

12 Likes

Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony pay touching tribute

https://youtu.be/hZtQR24ouV8

7 Likes

I’d never seen this interview before …

A viewer comment really sums it up …

1 day ago

Eddie was always a very shy, humble guy and that’s why there aren’t tons of interviews, especially just him, which makes this one really stand out. He’s talking about stuff he’s literally never once talked about in 40 years of being a pretty famous guy. Kudos and RIP Eddie. I truly feel a loss at your passing.

7 Likes