Rayon users please read

So about 8 months ago I switched to rayon in all devices. We all know about the dry hits (life changing). About 5 months ago when I got up in the morning I would get these coughing spells that would last about an hour. They got gradually worse, but if I would re-wick my device they would go away for a day or two. The last time I rebuilt (about two weeks ago) I decided to try an experiment. I switched back to cotton. For the last week no coughing spells. Obviously there is some sort of link to the long term use of rayon. From now on I’m sticking to cotton. Has anyone else had similar issues with rayon?

10 Likes

Hey RR good to see you again. I switched to rayon in all devices, about 3 years ago. I get some minor coughs that last a few minutes, occasionally, and I’m fine. In my case I think is seasonal / allergy related (hay fever & pollen). But that’s something I’ve always lived with. I’m low power (10 w or less) and higher resistance (1.5 - 1.6 ohms). Haven’t heard of any other coughing problems with rayon users. Glad to hear the cotton switch has seemed to clear things up.

9 Likes

Some Rayons make me cough and drymouth. But the one with paperband (don’t know the product type number atm) works. I’m mostly vaping with single or dual coil DL drippers.

6 Likes

I’ve mentioned the Rayon dust in a couple of other threads. When trimming your wicks you’ll see them. I’m not sure if that is related but I’ve had some short-lived wheezy coughs now and then. I just blow the dust off the atty and juice well before saturating with juice.
Again, just speculation.

8 Likes

Mine was more of a really slow progression. Nothing for months then little by little it got totally out of control. I definitely feel better now. 99.9% of the time I kept it super saturated and I know it’s not my mix I’ve perfected my favorite juice (thanks to all of you) so I’m going to stay on cotton for a couple of months and see if anything changes.

8 Likes

No problems here, I am very diligent about stray fibers and dust though when I rewick. I’m using Graham’s cellucotton coil, no cardboard.

8 Likes

Same here.

8 Likes

3+ years … same here.

8 Likes

I’m using Graham’s cellucotton too, no problems for the last 5 years.

5 Likes

I’ve been using rayon lately, maybe for 8-9 months. Haven’t noticed anything…yet.

5 Likes

What brand(s) of rayon have you been using? Or is it the stuff in a box from the local beauty supply…

7 Likes

What’s the deal with rayon? Are there any specific advantages to using it over cotton? I’ve been Vaping nearly 4-5 years now, and I’ve only ever had one dry hit, and I’m sure I’m not special. Is rayon more expensive? I’m a Muji fan, and it’s cheaper than chips. Would be interested in knowing what the benefits are, if any.

6 Likes

There’s several threads here about it…
But the basics are, it doesn’t retain any properties of the liquids you vape (think: ethyl maltol, or certain compounds that are dominant in things like orange or coffee for example). Not a problem for those who use dedicated atties for a single mix, or even a similar profile… But could be seen as a benefit to those with only one or two setups.

The problem is if you let rayon run dry, the dry hit is BRUTAL compared to that of cotton (and most of us know how bad that can be)… Or so I’ve read here (from those I trust).

6 Likes

Thanks for that. I’ll stick with my cotton then, as I’ve got plenty of atties. I say I’ve only had ONE dry hit. That’s a bit of an exaggeration, but I’ve only had one REALLY bad one, and that was bad. If they’re worse with Rayon, then jeez… I’ll take your word for it. Muji it is then.

6 Likes

Are you saying you have never had a brutal dry hit?

6 Likes

I’ve had some rough ones (primarily in the first year), but nothing I’d call brutal.
I mean, I’ve never set the cotton alight lol
(one of the perks of being a TC user I guess)

6 Likes

I take that back. During the first 3 weeks I started vaping!
I was using an Ego-styled pen, with the old shitty silica wicks. Yeah. Brutal. :nauseated_face: lol

7 Likes

LOL I guess I am absent minded…

5 Likes

Thanks to this thread, I have 40ft of Graham’s CelluCotton Rayon arriving tomorrow! I am a single atty guy, a Steam Crave Supreme V2. I have definitely noticed the muddling effect switching flavors all day.

5 Likes

Is there a brand you’d recommend, other than Graham’s?

Thanks for the tips on this, guys. I’ll go dive into the appropriate threads and dig deeper. I haven’t tried Rayon in a few years, when someone here was kind enough to send a sample to me. I hadn’t switched to RTAs yet then. Seems like less chance of dry hits with a tank!

5 Likes