RDP Connections Failing under Windows 11

If any of you are or were using RDP connections, and they have stopped working under Windows 11, let me know. The recent update borked it. I have the reg fix.

5 Likes

Interesting, I don’t use it myself but that is going to stuff up some support teams if they have been stupid enough to upgrade to Win 11 already. I only have one PC (Surface Pro) on Win 11, not in a hurry to get a new PC that can run it instead of my other current set-ups… :thinking:

3 Likes

@Ianc13 it’s actually causing a LOT of issues for my, and a lot of companies, even individuals, and small business owners that use RDP to remote in. Seems like the recent update BORKED up RDP connections, which SHOULD attempt to connect UDP, then rollover to TCP. What’s happening is the RDP connection stalls/fails attempting UDP, and never rolls over to TCP, requiring Task Manager shutdown.

Easy registry fix thanks out to Jeff …

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/issues-with-remote-desktop-on-windows-11-after/2f0b90c8-9549-46bb-bede-41c2d3990380

3 Likes

Nice one. I don’t understand why companies change over their crucial machine OS before all the bugs have been fixed. When I was in the print industry, one of the companies I worked for had a PC still running Win 3.1 as it was the only OS that would work with a particular data stream… that was only 10 years ago!

3 Likes

Great question. Makes you wonder what they DID fix, or what the rush was in releasing the update for in the first place.

3 Likes

With Win11 they killed local accounts and you have to have an MS account and internet to even run it. I’ll keep using a Windows machine but the rest will go Linux now. Although I really hate asking for stuff in Linux forums. They’re some of the worst you can find. Ask a question and the first thing they throw at you is a condescending “let me google this for you”.

5 Likes

I’m about 40% Linux / 60% Microsuck, and I love Linux, but I’m not very good with it yet.

4 Likes

I haven’t made the jump yet, but I have an older Toshiba Portege Z20t-B that I was thinking of dual booting on. Currently runs Win 10 but definitely won’t be upgradable to Win 11…

3 Likes

Dual booting is always the best way IMO.

3 Likes

Ooops, just bought a Dell XPS13 that can run Win 11. Might have to just sell the Toshiba when I get it. :crazy_face:. Suppose I can use Ubuntu on my 10" Thinkpad convertible… :thinking:

3 Likes

I prefer virtual machines or dual boot by manually switching between boot disks in the bios or via F12 on startup. I hate these bootmanagers. Better just stick another disk in, select it as the 1st boot device, and install and use whatever you like. If you want to go back to the os on the other disk just select this disk as the 1st boot device. This way you can avoid funny boot managers.

4 Likes

I was thinking I might just try it running from a USB drive. Apparently I can do that without affecting the Windows installation or the boot manager. That would be the same as running from a separate disk in your description wouldn’t it?

3 Likes

Yes, no problem, a usb stick just needs to be made bootable. Just google for it, there are free tools for the job.
But it’s not going to be super fast. You can try out an OS this way but if you want to keep using something you better put it on a 25 bucks SSD.

3 Likes

Cool, I will be trying it on a laptop as I don’t want to add another disx to my PC (already have 3 SSD’s, 4 HDD’s and 2 externals on it). So I figured the USB drive (USB 3.2) through the appropriate port would be fast enough to try it out. Will be using the latest stable Ubuntu unless anyone has a better suggestion.

3 Likes

I strongly recommend archiving data in a cloud drive or a network storage with some redundancy. Recycling old disks this way is a bit of a problem. It costs performance with all these disks, and at least the old hdds draw more power than necessary. Better have just 1 or 2 SSDs in the computer and a network storage which only runs on demand.If your internet connection is fast enough just use google drive or something. No more backup worries…

3 Likes

Waiting for the edit….

5 Likes

And THERE’S the edit :+1: @MikeReek547 spammer.

4 Likes

…

4 Likes