Re-wrapping batteries

My problem was I already knew how to do it.I have used heat shrink tubing many times before.:smirk:
I found out this stuff isnā€™t nothing like the heat shrink we use on wires!:slight_smile:

3 Likes

The ones I did for the pictures here actually are used in flashlights and I had no issues, I will try them in my mods and let you know.

1 Like

@Lostmarbles Just tested them in the evic mini and my VT133 and no issues at all. The paper I used is not the real think stock and I got the wraps from fasttech. It may be the thickness of the paper and the wrap itself that matters.

1 Like

Hmmm the paper Iā€™m using is 20lb laser paper and the wraps came from Illumn.

Wraps I ordered are THESE

The paper is just cheap printer paper not the better stuff not sure what it is or where I got it from.

I would be glad to send you a few wraps if you want to try them.

2 Likes

Very kind of you, but in looking at my paper stash, I may have used 24lb paper instead of the 20lb. Iā€™ll try it again and see how it works. Thanks anyway!

2 Likes

@Awakenow2 I think I might try this. After looking at that set of batteries I had last week this might save me $25 and my face. :astonished:

4 Likes

So I only use regulated mods. I have a simple question about rewrapping battsā€¦ I typically only buy LG 18650s and I have a new set only maybe a month old that has a couple of nicks in the top of the wrap. I donā€™t trust myself with mecs yet lol and iv only been using mods that take 18650s for maybe 15 or 18 months. These batteries do wear out eventually right? As of now if the wrap shows a tare I just buy a new setā€¦ This can get expensive though so how long are these batts good for?? Is it really safe to rewrap and rewrap these batteries??

Usually batteries are good for around 500 charge cycles.

Thatā€™s not to say they arenā€™t useful beyond this amount of time though.

Usually with continued usage a battery looses mah capacity.

When you rewrap your batteries all your doing is changing the external wrapper.

As long as you replace them approx every 12 months then thereā€™s no real issue at all.

You can even buy wraps that are pre cut like these.

4 Likes

hair dryer seems at least a little bit safer

2 Likes

Thatā€™s my weapon of choice these days too.

2 Likes

Hairdryer for children definitely! Torches only for adults, heat guns are best. If you own a heat gun, you know that.

I just donā€™t like putting flames near my batteries :chicken: :grinning:

4 Likes

i dont blame you one bitv

3 Likes

Rewrapped my first set.

4 Likes

excellent tutorial your method is exactly the way I do it only difference is use a little heat gun

3 Likes

Agreed this thread was great! Helped me go ahead and make the decision to rewrap a couple of my batteriesā€¦ they were practically new but the wrap started to tare from going in and out of one of my modsā€¦ didnā€™t bite the bullet for a heat gun either I use my wifeā€™s blow dryer lol

2 Likes

Nice thread thx for the tutorial! I have wrapped several in the past itā€™s pretty simple! About to do a few more. I like to use a bic lighter and just move it fast along the battery works well never had a failed attempt yet!

1 Like

I use a blow dryer for mine. If you donā€™t have one they can usually be found at a thrift store for a couple bucks. :+1:

4 Likes

Had a couple scrapes in this set of batteriesā€¦ sat them aside on my vape desk figured I would get around to re-wrapping them this weekendā€¦ started to pull the wrapper off of one and this is what I sawā€¦

Yup not re-wrapping that one itā€™s going to get recycled

2 Likes