REAL FLAVOR Recommendations

No, I haven’t had any problems with harshness. Which is strange, because I tend to have problems with cinnamon flavors, and quite a few sensitivities. I also have a recipe I made with a vanilla sauce that has been very good to me as well. I did see on another thread some people that were having problems. I mix at 30/70 pg/vg. Maybe that is different? I’m kind of clueless unless it was a bad batch?

1 Like

Coming from you I will take that as a compliment. I have your bread pudding recipe steeping now looking forward to tasting it.

I have liked every flavor I have tried so far and will be updating my notes on them soon.

I have not done a recipe for it but Key Lime Pie I think is very good as a standalone flavor also at the 8 to 10% range but I add 1% Marshmallow just for the mouth feel not to sweeten it.

I have also found a little heat and then blending or frothing makes a big difference when using VG base flavors from Real Flavors. I think @Walt_RealFlavors posted something about this in a different thread.

1 Like

I copied this from my tasting notes. I hope it helps, I know taste is subjective. I also posted my recipe with vanilla sauce, I think I made it public? I am still working on the whipped cream version, first one muted too much, V2 is steeping now.

Tested at 10 day steep 15% standalone. Very good, not too rich, could adv easily by itself. Flavor is good at this percentage, but deepens and strengthens a lot near the 4 week steep mark. Try at 3-4 weeks before raising percentage. Well balanced, just a light hint of cinnamon and really an authentic bread pudding. For my personal tastes would like a hint more vanilla. Would be great with a vanilla or caramel sauce, or topped with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Lots of possibilities with this one. I have noticed with this brand of flavorings that they really come out at/after 4 weeks. Probably because of the vg, but worth waiting for!

2 Likes

It might be as simple as user error, these VG based flavorings are new to most of us so there will be a getting used to period.

Oh yum, i need to get that! Shake the crap out of that bread pudding mix before vaping, im thinking the cinnamon may be separating causing some of us to find it a bit harsh. I have several other testers of it mixed to see what could have gone wrong for those of us having issues. Its freaking tasty!

4 Likes

I highly recommend the Key Lime Pie. I tried it at 7% first but after a week long steep I added 2% more and the 1% of whatever Marshmallow you like and have been vaping it like that now for about a week. Also I am mixing it at 10PG/90VG 1.5nic. That is saying a lot because I normally don’t handle fruit flavors well at all but this stuff is so smooth and tasty it is hard to believe.

2 Likes

I completely agree, amazing stuff in my opinion.

1 Like

I do heat the bottle of flavoring before mixing, and also my bottle of vg by submerging in a cup of hot water. Then once warmed I shake the ever lovin’ **** out of it. I also use a milk frother when mixing my recipes. Thinking the warming thins it and makes it easier to blend when shaking too. I do this with all VG flavorings, not just the bread pudding.

Fair warning though, Real Flavors labels ARE NOT waterproof!

1 Like

I gave mine a fair 5 second shake before mixing. Mixed at 10% 30/70 PG/VG on the first batch.

They’ve been stuck in the queue after a ton of older mixes, but I did break out a dripper a week or two ago for a quick down and dirty test of them and I was quite happy with Vanilla Custard, Cinnamon Custard, Bread Pudding, and Cookies & Cream. Probably gonna cut in line and load some cookies & cream in a tank with a fresh build cuz that’s the one I want to like best (because Oreos are the best), tho it was a bit light on the <1 week drip test. Either the cinnamon custard or the bread pudding was a tiny bit harsh (I’m forgetting which), but not really any more than other strong cinnamons.

Also, everyone make sure if measuring by weight that you account for the VG base - check the “Use manufacturer specific gravities” option in the User Preferences for this site’s calculator, or check the VG button under the flavor name after you enter it in the calculator. Otherwise you’re going to pour a bit light.

Cake Batter, Cherry Pie, Coconut Cream Pie, French Toast, Shamrock Shake, Strawberry Milkshake, and Vanilla Ice Cream all have had favorable reviews, and the ones I’ll be trying next just as soon as my weekends free up again.

So many remix combo options in that list too. I want to try a 8% coconut cream pie + 8% cookies and cream recipe someone posted on Facebook. They said it was a spot-on German Chocolate Cake. :yum:

4 Likes

Bread pudding I don’t go over 10 %
Then add 2% of Marshmallow tpa
Give 10 to 14 days is awesome for me if I went to 14 % on BP it was not good too much of a good thing was bad
Am vaping it with a buddy at work right now he likes

4 Likes

Ok ordered a couple of flavours to try out
Key lime pie
Pink candy burst
Grapefruit
Blueberry Acari pomegranate

Really interested in the grapefruit as this is a flavour I am playing around with just now and thought I would look at this one?
Anyone tried this and have they any thoughts on it?

1 Like

Where from?

I have the grapefruit and it’s pretty good. It’s probably middling in strength. A single at 8% wasn’t super impressive but the flavor was definitely there and noticeable.

3 Likes

@Philli purchased from Chefs Flavour as Vapour Depot didn’t have the grapefruit or pink candy burst?
@JoJo thank you, it’s good to know.

2 Likes

Ok I had to give this a try with all of the talk of it being harsh. I made this on 5/6/16 and am trying it this morning 5/28/16 and I am not getting HARSH I am getting a very bold baked cinnamon top note but I love cinnamon vapes so this stuff ain’t bad at all to me anyway. The touch of Vanilla Custard brings out a nice sweetness to this on the exhale for me anyway.

@Beaufort_Batches also posted a suggestion someplace of Bread pudding 8% and Cinnamon Custard 5% and I think he said 3 day steep. I made this up on 5/23/16 and vaping it this morning 5/28/16 and it is also very good.

Both mixes were heated in a slow cooker set up so the bottles sit on a ceramic plate instead of touching the bottom directly. I set it on the lowest setting ( I have never measured the temperature but they are very warm to almost hot in my hand) and leave them there with the caps on for about 1hr. I remove them and give them a violent shaking, uncap add my nic and froth until it looks like a bottle of foam, leave uncapped and let cool to room temperature. Cap and put away in a dark place until ready to vape.

Both mixes were done at 10PG/90VG 1.5 nic and both got 1% TPA Marshmallow

I tested both on 24G 316L single coil builds at .32 to .38 in the original Lemo tanks and running in Temperature control on The RX200, Evic VTC mini and a VT133

My findings anyway are these VG based flavors are very smooth and pleasant to vape BUT at lower temperatures and not if you are chain vaping. I find that after 3 good direct lung hits they need to sit for a bit or they do get a little harsh.

My only guess is some how it is pulling certain flavor molecules out of the wick faster than others because the problem is not that it is wicking to slow it is just changing flavors.

I have been using these same tanks for well over 1 year with all Max VG blends and this exact same build for more than 3 months now and it is not getting dry hits no mater how much I chain vape them it is just outright changing flavor after 3 good puffs. Let it sit for just a few moments and right back to a very good pleasant flavor.

I hope some of this helps those having issues but for now I am really enjoying both mixes. After I vape these for a few more days I will probably play around with the percentages and a few different flavor combinations and will post what I do for public view on the recipe side.

I think @Ken_O_Where had it right when he said theses VG based flavors are just beginning to be used and it is going to take a little time to find the best combinations and percentages to use to suit your own taste buds.

6 Likes

Yes, I agree. We are all going to have a learning curve again with these VG flavors. I personally love a challenge, and I think these flavors are definitely worth the time and effort. I’ve only tried 2 so far, but they both could easily be vaped stand alone, which is a great layering of flavor blend for 1 flavoring blend. My 12 pack sampler is supposed to be here in the next 4 hours sometime. Can’t wait to play with them :smiley:

I didn’t think about temps and builds having an effect. I vape mine on a .25 SS stock coil in my Crown at 35 watts. Or on my COV Vengeance with stock .2 coil (kanthal I think?) at 30 watts.

I did also notice a couple of nights ago when chain vaping the bread pudding, after a bit I would get a nasty chemical hit. Almost like I hit a pocket of unmixed flavoring. Put it down, picked it up 3-4 minutes later and was just as delicious as always. That happened multiple times. I didn’t think anything of it then, until @wvsanta mentioned something similar. Maybe because it doesn’t like hot temps (as suggested by wvsanta) that came as I chain vaped, and after cooling down went back to normal? Makes me wonder if the one having issues with harshness are vaping at higher wattages and/or temps and these flavors just don’t like that? Not sure…just guessing. I am on a learning curve here.

2 Likes

Just mixed up a test batch of all 13 flavors and they are steeping now. I went ahead and started with 10%, as that has been around my sweet spot so far for these stand alone VG flavors. I did ask them to please put in a free sampler of the Sweetened Condensed Milk from Beta Box 1 if they had any left, as I have been dying to try it. First time I’ve ever asked anyone for free samples, felt kind of uncomfortable about it as I’ve seen so many vendors get taken advantage of and thought I was being a bit greedy :cry: Damn temptation of that condensed milk got to me :confused:

Not only did they include the sample I requested, but they included a full 8ml sampler size of it :scream:

Thank you so much @Walt and all the Real Flavors team!!

2 Likes

So I did this today, and damn, they really nailed the cookie taste of an Oreo. Also 10% was quite flavorful after a 1 month steep.

If I’m being really critical, I’d say there’s not enough of the creamy center flavor, but that should be easy enough to tweak with just about any cream flavoring you like and maybe a bit of sweetener. The cookie portion is the magic here.

4 Likes

I can’t believe there aren’t more mentions of Vanilla Ice Cream in this thread…

I know… I know… TFA VBIC has been the heavy-weight title champion of ice cream for a long time, and I agree completely, but I wanted to try RF’s as an introductory flavor for me. I figured it would be a good benchmark to guage RF by and I must say…

[Real Flavors] ain’t no joke. Their version of Vanilla Ice Cream is delicious! I couldn’t believe they would be able to challenge TFA but I think it’s a tie. TFA is a bit creamier but RF definitely has a stronger vanilla flavor to it without the “bean” flavor. I was surprised to find that I was the first person to write a review for it…?

Here’s my notes:
Vanilla Ice Cream (Real Flavors)
This is awesome!
I can’t decide which is better; this or TFA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream…
They’re both delicious so it’s a tie for 1st place in the ice cream category!
TFA version is a touch creamier but…
RF is sweeter and has a more prominent vanilla flavor without the “bean” note that TFA has.
I can’t wait to mix’em together!
Tested at 8% solo

I also picked up a bottle of their Cream Cheese but haven’t tested it yet, really looking forward to it now though. If the rest of their flavors are anywhere near as good as their ice cream then I’m in for a treat! :yum:

4 Likes

I am sure you will be helping @Walt_RealFlavors when you post how good those 13 flavors are.I haven’t found any that isn’t great.

I think it tastes just like straight up Oreo as well , now maybe we can get Real Flavors to nail down some Nutter Butters!:yum:

2 Likes

Many thanks for the input, it must have been user error on my part.

3 Likes