Real Flavors Super Concentrates Tasting Notes (Part 2)

I can’t find where he posted this but @Walt_RealFlavors said that in a cool dark place 1-2 yrs, in the fridge 3-4 yrs. I’ve got mine in the crisper drawer of the fridge, lol. Hopefully he’ll pop in to confirm or correct me if I’m wrong.

3 Likes

Yes
Walt posted the life of the flavours if refrigerated was 3years ish 4 years (cant find the post). see link below

As an sf or in a mix? In a mix with sb kiwi (vg) I use it at .4 to get a Watermelon back note as an sf .6 - .8 with .25 stevia stone and .75 Erythritol - but I am not a huge fan of any watermelon as a single flavour

2 Likes

What is the shelf life of Real Flavors?

The shelf life of a flavor will vary widely. It is best to follow this guide. To find the exact date of manufacture, please refer to your lot number and our COA guide found on our website.

Super Concentrates have a shelf life of 12-18 months (60F° to 72F°) and up to 4 years if refrigerated. Never freeze flavors, this will cause some separation, and the flavor may “break” causing you never to get them to mix again. VG based flavors will follow this same rule but can be exposed to a high daily temperature.

Be sure to store all flavors in a cool, dark place away from sources of direct sunlight heat and flame; pigments in the flavor (from the natural extracts) tend to fade or discolor over time when exposed to sunlight. This fading is normal and is to be expected. Flavor bottles can explode in temperatures inside the container reach above 150F° from evaporation. For long-term storage, refrigerate, and then allowing the flavor to return to room temperature before opening or using the flavor.

4 Likes

^^^^ that is the one just found it myself cheers

2 Likes

Will edit my post, so as to not bother walt.

Do you have any experience with the RF SC Watermelon?

1 Like

I don’t have Watermelon SC . I’m still waiting to see how RF SC pans out. I’ve tried following the SC line, but it’s very confusing. I’d love to see a solid list of the winners that stand up over time. My fave was the SB SC. It’s a great short steeper, but it fails after a good steep. Some mixers excludes this fact about some of these SCs.

6 Likes

I mixed it up at 3% and thought it was a great candy watermellon flavor. No weird taste for me.

3 Likes

I know you’ve had this problem. Plenty of people have mentioned this in their notes but not everyone experiences it. Since posting my notes I’ve tried adding various things to the strawberry and haven’t noticed fading.

4 Likes

I’ve not had a chance to play with it much yet again lately, but last two tests were 2 & 3 % for me. Both gave me a decent amount of flavor as mentioned in the part one SC thread, but it felt a bit acidic and sharp. I’ve written in my notes to try next 2-3% still, but mix in a small amount of soft dragon fruit (TFA, maybe 2-4%) a soft pear 0.5-1% whatever brand.

I’m not a huge fan of creams, most to me feel like sandpaper or chalk in the vape instead of creamy even after long steeps, so I did not consider trying those. But if creams work for you then 0.5-2% of a cream may help if you’re only having issues similar to what I mentioned about it being to sharp/acidic or too much rind aspect.

To me, the Melon Mix’s flavor is very similar to the watermelon too, but with less rind and sharpness.

I do also think it would mix well with a strawberry as mentioned above, or cucumber too. And speaking of cucumber, has anyone posted notes or tried the SC or VG cucumber, if so how does it compare to FW cucumber or cucumber and mint?

1 Like

My first fading experience was with a SB Milkshake and it was great after a week or so, but by week 3 there was no SB in that mix. I thought maybe it was the creams causing the fading.

Then my SB Cream Pie lasted about 6 weeks, then No SB to be found there either. I ended up dumping about 90 mls.

For me longevity is a must because I like making big batches so I don’t have to mix my faves so often.

7 Likes

Couldn’t you just add a little extra SB when you notice it’s fading?

4 Likes

Oh i see how you forgot me. Lol. For watermellon RF Sc I went up…like 3% or so. I don’t have my computer on. But I mixed with dragonfruit tpa strawberry FA, cucumber FA, marshmallow FA. Cucumber to fix the rind, mallow to adjust the sweet. Dragon and SB to fix the red. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Grrr. I forgot I added watermellon FA as well.

3 Likes

Good combos - will have to play with them

1 Like

It’s how vibrant SB is days 1-4 comparred to day 10 to 20. It’s just not consistent…when comparred to 2% FA 4% ripe SB tpa together. Atleast for me.

3 Likes

Did you layer the RF SC strawberry with other strawberries? I highly doubt TFA Ripe strawberry or Cap sweet strawberry could or would stand up by themselves against a heavy cream mix either. INW shisha would be strong enough most likely but INW, is in another league as far as i am concerned. I am not defending RF flavors but feel people have unfair expectations of them. I for one am not a fan of the Strawberry RF SC (tastes like plastic to me). I think the problem stems from them being marketed as Super Concntrates and feel they should have been marketed as extracts. Noone takes issue with using an extract at 3-5% but a SC should be 1% or less like many VZ flavors are, or many INW, or FA, or FLV

8 Likes

One last wandering thought…i get this sense that the alcohol is acting like a flavor carrier in the fruits…once steeped off the carrier properties are gone.

3 Likes

Never crossed my mind. A fail is a fail in my book. When mixing for other people this can cost you dearly.

Not everyone vape the same and some I mix for are very slow vapers and the mix faded and was returned. I really have to know a mix last over time.

4 Likes

I have a SB base that will. I initially thought I found the holy grail of SBs with SB SC. It just didn’t work out. But TBH I haven’t heard anyone say the TPA or CAP faded over time. They just need some support to be a solid SB note.

3 Likes

Supporting flavors…correct. So why ditch the RF SC SB instead of backing it with others…Do you feel it would fade even with supporting flavors? This brings into question a sort of Mixer Philosophy. A thread ive been wanting to start. My theory is that some flavors bring only a high note others low notes and some merely act as the middle of the road, body of the mix. I believe this is why layering is so effective. Low notes supported by other low notes or high notes supported by other complementary high notes may not fade as they would, if mixed alone, but together they combine…

3 Likes

I haven’t ditched it yet. I’m testing just adding it near the end of the steep and making smaller batches so I don’t have them around as long. I won’t purchase it again as my base is nearly identical in flavor with no fading issue.

This doesn’t solve the fading issue. Believe me, I really love the flavor of the SB SC, but I hate it’s just a temporary flavor. Once it fades it’s a whole different mix.

3 Likes