Rebuilding Commercial Coils

I just watched the video again and realized that I forgot to put the last scene in. Where I vape on the newly rebuilt coil. Do Y’all think that it should be in? I feel like it should be but I also don’t want to go through the hassle.

2 Likes

Thanks for the review and information. Always nice to see.

3 Likes

It would most certainly be a very informative addition. Even if you don’t want to start editing the video, just a short follow up would be nice.

4 Likes

Did someone delete a comment? I could have sworn that someone told me that Vaping Fagen did a vid on these.

I watched his vid and… I usually like his content but this time it sucked. I wanted to comment on his video so bad. “Hey all you Fagen fans I rebuilt the Caliburn and it aint even close to as hard to do as Fagen makes it sound.” But I can’t do that because it goes against what I believe to be right and wrong. In this instance it would be wrong for me to use his video to try and get views on my video. Even though that isn’t my intent (getting views), it appears to be my intent. Really i want the people saying it’s too hard to see that it ain’t to hard.

Anywho, I’ll do a

5 Likes

Me too. I rebuilt multitudes of Kanger/Evod Protank coils for my late wife, who dearly loved her Anyvape Davides on spinner type pen batteries. I only ever found one mod box she’d use. She said the others were too heavy. I could turn the rebuilt coils at 1.50 ohms with better cotton, and they always tasted better to her. Since she has passed the need no longer exists.

I’ve tinkered a couple of times with trying to rebuild the more complex new pre-built coils, but it never seems worth the trouble when I can get results as good or better with RBA tanks I’ve got that are much simpler to build.

3 Likes

@quadraginta Welcome to the forum and thanks for the response. I am sorry to hear that your wife has passed. I hope the pain will recede.

2 Likes

Thank you for that.

It’s been a year and a half, and her passing was not unexpected. She had been in bed under home hospice care for more than a year.

But I still miss her, and thinking about rebuilding coils for her was not unpleasant. Maybe a bit melancholy, but the memories are good ones.

8 Likes

[quote=“quadraginta, post:17, topic:240647”]
But I still miss her, and thinking about rebuilding coils for her was not unpleasant. Maybe a bit melancholy, but the memories are good ones.
[/quote
That puts a lump in my throat… and makes me want to help, I know there is nothing I can really do but I can at least send positive energy your way.

:slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Thank you for the thought. I’m okay. She went peacefully, at home in her own bed. It was something I had had time to ready myself for.

6 Likes

we need an emoji with a single tear :cry: there it is… Peace be with you…

5 Likes

I’ve taken apart and rebuilt factory coils for all sorts of tanks. Sometimes I reuse the mesh strips and just rewick them. Some coils are a lot easier to do than others. Smok S1 coils for the Baby V2/V9 Max tanks is a simple task for me. Uwell’s Nunchaku Mesh coils are a bit more difficult but it can be done. I’ve done it out of boredom and have seen good to great results.

I’ve never attempted to re do dual or triple coils. The single cylinder styled ones are easiest. The Uwell Rafale VRBA is good for practice. If you can get that thing performing well, tearing down and rebuilding factory coils is much easier.

3 Likes

what kind of wick are you using?

3 Likes

I’ve been trying to find something that’s most similar to the wicking they use in those factory coils. They’re thin strips of a pad like cotton. Some of the cotton facial tissues I’ve gotten are very close. The problem is I haven’t gotten any that haven’t been bleached. It’d be nice to have strips of that padding to just twirl around the coil. I’m not into boiling my wicking material but maybe some day. I’ve used some of it though and it works great except the flavor is nasty when vaped lol.

So I usually use regular cotton pads from my Puff (brand) stacks. I cut a strip off and use as much as needed. The cotton we use is loose compared to “the padding”.

3 Likes

exactly! I have been looking for the right cotton for years and the only stuff I have found that works (it’s the same stuff) is the cotton in theses kits that I reviewed in the video at the beginning of the thread. They have other kits with wider cotton for the mesh coils. You should check em out. I paid a total of 10 bucks if I remember correctly. That includes shipping and IMO it was worth 10 bucks just for the cotton.

2 Likes

Back in the day when I would rebuild the Nautilus coils, I would save the outer “skin” of the muji pads then cut them into strips and layer as many as needed around the coil. It was a lot easier then trying to get the loose stuff to align correctly. Of course I’m sure you’d need a lot more of it with todays coils

3 Likes

Yep, that is the only thing that would come close. How did it work out for you?

3 Likes

Really well actually. Better than the fluffy stuff that come undone and blocks all the airways (on the tiny Nautilus coils). Maybe cut the pad with the skin on to size then seperate by thickness needed? I could assume that the skin might hold it together enough to hold it’s shape. Might be worth a try.

3 Likes

I’ve tried it all. Probably not but I did try that lol. Like I said ealier, for the 10 bucks it costs to get the kit and have it shipped is worth the amount of cotton you get with a kit. IMO. It would be great if there was a way to get a hold of a big pack of it though.

4 Likes

@INOIROC Hey man, I can’t find that thread where we get more in-depth and I do believe you left a link to so cotton you found at @FastTech.com. Help. I got my check and the money I put aside for “hobby” is burning a hole in my pocket.

3 Likes

We were talking about it in your changing flavors thread.

Here’s the ones that I actually ordered-
I only got a couple of these ones to see how they are-
https://www.fasttech.com/p/5904401

I ordered 6 of these ones since they look exactly what I’ve been waiting for-
https://www.fasttech.com/p/4676900

I’ve been reading Fasttech said it’s against PayPal rules to order e-cig related items. I ordered the day before I started seeing people talk about it. Not sure if they have other payment options or what we can and cannot buy using Paypal anymore. Let us know how it works out!

One last thing, I elected not to get these but they look alright too-
https://www.fasttech.com/products/3033/10055642/9665269

3 Likes