Recipe Names

I would like to appeal to the users of ELR to stop using recipe names as a placeholder for political statements. It doesn’t help users find good recipes within the flavor profile they are looking for. While I do enjoy a light intelligent discussion around issues or ideologies, I really think this recent trend of using recipe names as a way to make a statement is not helpful and if anything possibly harmful to a new user trying to get their feet wet with DIY.

8 Likes

Problem with this appeal is most users dont come to the forum side. While we have rules in place regarding political post in forum there is nothing on the recipe side.

8 Likes

I know, just hoping maybe @daath sees this and is open to some suggestions.

6 Likes

Welcome and glad you joined us.

5 Likes

Welcome to ELR @TimboSlice1.

4 Likes

Welcome @TimboSlice1

4 Likes

Most of my recipes (public/private) are named after song titles, so I’ll likely be targeted next after the political wrong-speak is dealt with

5 Likes

You bring up a point. But at the same time there is a common thread to al l your recipe names.
Some folks I noticed a long line of flavors based on the actual flavor then boom, it would seem like some sort of virtue signaling through recipe names. I dont think song titles is virtue signaling…

4 Likes

Welcome @TimboSlice1 Can you show me one of the recipe titles as an example, I’m curious, thx?

4 Likes

Basically anything by Mix and Hope, some may be considered (by some) over the line, some amusing

4 Likes

Earlier in my mixing days, I named my mixes after Dick Tracy villains. The Mole, Mumbles, Flattop, Doc Hump, BB Eyes, etc. I’ve since just moved on to a sort of flavor related shorthand. Mine are all private, so it doesn’t matter.

6 Likes

I think that will be difficult to ask (as long it’s not a hate speech) and i also believe this would be extremely bad policy, no matter if i agree with any of those statements or not. Personally i despise a society that is forming (in a way that there should be rules and regulations and god fearing obedience and punishments everywhere and you’ll have to watch what you say and how you express yourself); i’m huge believer in a free society and in ‘Live and let live’ philosophy.

The question that comes up with this type of ‘regulation’, ‘getting it in order’ is where the lines are and who will be drawing them? Daath? Mods? Qualified majority of forum? Personally (again) i despise rules that FB or Paypal is making for some ‘common good’ (which is far from that); ‘obey the rules and our beliefs or you’re getting banned’ type of rules. The next question is what exactly should be allowed and what not, because ‘political’ is a wide term and it’s getting even ‘wider’ every quarter.

When it starts with ‘political’, then soon someone will be asking to ban other names that he thinks are ‘over the edge’; like ‘Father’s Milk’, ‘Hanging Boobs’, ‘Milk Me Now’, ‘On Your Knees!’, ‘Lick my Nipple’, ‘Naked in your room’, ‘I’m Obscene’ recipes. And then someone else will dictate this same for songs and artists and cartoonists and comedians and… And the next one will be offended by someone’s nickname or profile picture… where does it end, where’s that line?

All i can say is fuck that, we have to fight against these ‘orders’ and ‘regulations’ if we believe in a free speech and free society! You don’t like the name of the song or the rhyme or the sleezy drawing or the name of the recipe? Smile and move on, switch the channel, turn it off, jump over it. Sorry if i offended anyone; it wasn’t meant that way. Believer in a free society. Maverick.

10 Likes

Lol, I just searched all Mix and Hope recipes. Now, how do I differentiate the flavor profile according to elected officials vs political events vs…I guess if you agree with the title you’re supposed to like the recipe? :crazy_face:

6 Likes

Amen. God bless America & free expression

6 Likes

@TimboSlice1 Ill put this to bed right now. It just isnt going to happen. I am the second most powerful user on the recipe side and i cannot change anything on a recipe other than making it private. And if i am being honest i wouldnt if i could. This is a Pandora’s Box situation and it has been brought up many times.

There are a lot of recipe tittles that are provocative and some that make even me cringe but i scroll on past them because if we were to change just one then there would be hundreds or thousands more that would need to be change as many people have complained about many tittles int he past. As long as it is legal it stays.

It is what it is and it will stay as it is. Sorry to have to put it to you like that but i dont like to sugar coat stuff.

PS: Welcome to the forums and i hope you stick around.

11 Likes

It looks to me that OP was not read or understood.

I did not suggest moderation or administrative action.

I suggested the user base try to make the platform better and make their own recipes easier to find. If this is not an acceptable notion then so be it.

I have nothing more to say

4 Likes

Just so we’re all clear, by legal I assume you’re referring to hate speech (to which I would agree)

6 Likes

I have to agree with @Mikser. Although I didn’t see any mention of REMOVING or BANNING, but to STOP DOING. I don’t know, it seems like “limiting” people HAS become all the rage here as of late (not ELR per se, but out in society). I DO remember back in the way back, where if you didn’t LIKE something, you wouldn’t buy it, read it, or share it. Not liking wasn’t really as big of a deal back then. Hate a TV show, you didn’t watch it. You DIDN"T however, try to REMOVE it. I"m not saying we’re talking of removing, but we are talking about ceasing and desisting.

I don’t know. I always say if you don’t like it, don’t read it, mix it, or upvote it.

12 Likes

Make ELR Great Again!

5 Likes

The OP seemed to differ from your second post which was a plea to lars, which is why i made the post. If i was wrong then i apologize. :slight_smile:

6 Likes