Recipes with no warnings

Is there a way to get a listing of recipes that have no ingredients with warnings? If not, could this be added to the recipe search?

As far as I can tell, I have to click into each recipe to see if any of the flavors have a warning.

5 Likes

I don’t think this will happen anytime soon. Couple of reasons:

• it would be pretty difficult to find and check MSDS of every single flavor (thousands of them)
  • not to mention there are lots of brands that don’t provide any MSDS publicly
  • on top manufacturers are changing ingredients, but still keeping the same name of flavoring (it would result with a total mess in flavor listings with double names; a complete confusion)
  • large majority of vapers don’t pay much attention about DAAP (but they do about other nasties)
  • you may want to check this site for more updated info about flavorings of most popular brands

… but thankfully there is an elegant way available for everyone - add your flavors in your stash and only recipes with your flavorings will be shown.

10 Likes

@Chris_Fuller Nothing wrong with being careful about what you inhale. The most recent dire warnings re: vaping were recipes that included an oil-based close-to-Vitamin E that was killing teens. Maybe it was added as a stabilzer/preservative or maybe for improved mouthfeel but it’s not how anyone here mixes (recipes). Do your own research and you can do some of that here. Maybe a search for Acetoin Be sure to check the date of those threads (2015!)

Thanks to @Mikser for laying it out, but I prefer you learn for yourself. If I was providing advice I’d say “Don’t Vape”, but if you’re trying to quit cigs it becomes a Health risk management game and not so black/white. Vaping as smoking cessation is def a gray area where what’s good for you is a Freedom of Choice decision. Explore some science before choosing wisely …if you only get your news from regular sources you’re missing the complete story …we are in fact not smoking anit-freeze and all those flavorings with a warning sign each have different meanings (read each warning).

Oh and WELCOME ABOARD!!

6 Likes

Welcome and glad you joined.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! My thought line was this: flavors listed have a warning flag encoded into their entry in the DB. That’s good enough for me - that someone has flagged them based on the MSDS. I have no delusions that any of this is ultimately safe or healthy - but you can make informed decisions and make the healthiest choices possible.

I was wondering if recipes that contain flagged ingredients could themselves be flagged as containing an ingredient with a warning, and thus the search engine could list recipes without those flags. All the data is already there in the DB. It may require adding a boolean field to the recipe entries for whether it contains a warning or not, and a small addition to the search page, but they seemed like easy additions to make to offer users greater flexibility in their searches.

I know there’s no such thing as safe vaping, but being able to peruse recipes that don’t contain currently known warnings would be handy instead of having to click into each recipe to scan their ingredients. It doesn’t have to be exhaustively correct or thorough - just making the most of the current data the DB has.

5 Likes

Don’t know if this is helpful or not, but here is a list of the entire ELR flavors database. It is sorted by the most popular flavor and you will see at a glance if the flavor is tagged with a warning.HERE
Note: It takes a minute or so for the DB to respond.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Chris_Fuller

Your idea is a good one. You sound like a programmer :nerd_face:

6 Likes

Yes the easy process of this do experiments by yourself what products you like test them and go to vendors for further details make relation with the experts that guides you according to the products and availability of products

3 Likes