Removing Alcohol From Alcohol Based Flavorings Via Steeping?

How are you all accomplishing this tiresome feat? FW Honeydew has a wretched nail polish smell in this mix I made yesterday. Its in a teeny 15ml bottle. I’ve been shaking the piss out of the thing and smell it bad. Once it settles I dont smell it until I shake it again.

On average, how long does this continue? Are flavorings with heavy alcohol content a waste of time? There has to be a way right?

I leave my situation in your capable hands my friends…

1 Like

May I ask why you feel FW Honeydew is alcohol based? As far as I know it is PG based. @Damondo , both smelling and even a taste on the finger can be deceiving. Steep it for at least a week and then test it by vaping some of it. Still kinda chemically then steep it another week. If still taste of chemicals then get another Honeydew. The stuff must be at least acceptable. Someone rated it 5 stars on their website…

2 Likes

I too saw the rating. That is why I have it. I just now taste tested. Tastes both chemically and alcoholic. I barely sense any honeydew whatsoever.

I have it uncapped and will remain airing it longer. 48 hours now it remains unchanged.

1 Like

Put the cap back on it and put it away to steep. Leaving the cap off most of us think is unnecessary but for those that don’t they leave it off overnight. Anymore will not help. Let it steep and play with something else in the meantime…

2 Likes

Who’s website? Here’s what FW website says…

Product Features

Honeydew Water Soluble Flavoring. Ingredients: Natural and Artificial Flavoring and Propylene Glycol. USP Kosher Grade Flavoring. Usage Rate 15-20% for E-use. No Refunds on Flavoring. Color Level: Clear. Independently laboratory tested Diacetyl free.

I have FW Honeydew also, nowhere in the ingredients list of the label does it say anything about alcohol either. I am quite confused here…

3 Likes

Oh my bad ring I am sleepy. Thought the question was on TFA’s honeydew !

I’m going to delete my post. Good save !!!

Yes u would know FW !
So still a couple warm baths and leave cap off is what I would do.

3 Likes

@Amy2 Knows her stuff too, try her warm bath idea and then let it steep…

3 Likes

Ok will try the warm baths. I usually avoid this process but I think this instance calls for it.

So are warm baths the key then for expelling flavors with alcohol as carriers?

I think just leave it alone and pmsl… play with something else as @ringling says haha…

3 Likes

Indeed I will do just that. Making @Alisa Bust A Nut tonight. Cant wait!

4 Likes

The warm bath works for my batches w/ alcohol in it. I don’t get it hot hot but it’s pretty darn close then I shake the tar out of it ( let’s hope) in between then do another bath. Sometimes I repeat this process 2-3 times. If I have my UC out and running I’ll put warm water in it and then that takes care of the warm part and the shaking part.

2 Likes

Good to know! I hit it with three warm baths last night. We shall see how it fares. Thank you guys for all the input.

1 Like

A little heat from the warm baths should evaporate the slchohol out

3 Likes

Day four, chemical/alcohol odor still heavily present. I think its time to move on from this particular flavoring.

3 Likes

There is no alcohol in that flavor. Nothing to evaporate…

1 Like

If you have fully tested it, then I would agree with you. If you want a good honeydew and watermelon you need to get it from Nicotinelabs.com. Hate recommending them but those two flavors beat rest easily…

2 Likes

I appreciate that. Thank you.

1 Like