[REQ] CastleLong using Brandy

@errevi I wanted to move your thread over here to help us keep it sorted.I also am going to see if we can get some help on this by some more experienced mixers.:grinning:
@SthrnMixer @Beaufort_Batches @Amy2
Our new member errevi is trying to make a Castle Long clone using some flavors that I havenā€™t tried before.
Here is a quote from a previous thread showing what flavors he has to work with for now.
ā€œI will try to get all TPA or all FA needed flavours and try again following recipes you posted, or maybe
you could tell me how to compensate FA to TPA ?ā€

Here my flavour stash:

Acetyl Pyrazine 5% (TPA)
Vanilla Bourbon (FA)
Brandy (TPA)
Brown Sugar (TPA)
Coconut (FA)
Classic Vanilla (FA)
Oak Wood (FA)
Toasted Almond (TPA)

@errevi Here is what I would try until you can get the flavors to make the original clone I posted earlier.
AP (TPA) 1.5%
Vanilla Bourbon (FA) 1.0%
Brandy (FA) 2.5%
Brown Sugar (TPA) 1.5%
Coconut (FA) 1.5%
Classic Vanilla (FA) 1.0%
Oak Wood (FA) 2.5%
Toasted Almond (TPA) 1.5%

5 Likes

Thanks for moving and for advices

4 Likes

Gosh I really have never worked with TFA Brandy before but if itā€™s anything resembling of FA Brandy itā€™s much sweeter than Kentucky Bourbon which is what is in Castle Longā€¦ you may want for that booziness just not as harsh throat hit as the Ken. Boubon will give.

I wouldnā€™t change anything different from what @BoyHowdy has posted given you are working with limited flavors until you get those in Iā€™d give that recipe a shot.

I mean this is the highest rated clone and I canā€™t see too much of a difference in much from what he has posted. By EWS

Castle Long Clone V2

Ingredient %
Acetyl Pyrazine 5% (TPA) 2
Bourbon (Vanilla Bourbon) (FA) 2
Brown Sugar (TPA) 2.5
Coconut Extra (TPA) 3
Kentucky Bourbon (TPA) 6
Oak Wood (FA) 2.5
Toasted Almond (TPA) 3
Vanillin 10% (TPA) 2

Flavor total: 23%

Remember to rate it at e-liquid-recipes.com!

I imagine that the Brandy is sweeter so I would leave the Brown sugar lower like BoyHowdy has it

5 Likes

Ditto. Looks good to me.

3 Likes

I had mixed this up (Castle Long Clone V2) on 7/15/2015 for some reason it just didnā€™t hit me right, it may not of steeped long enough or (even a better possibility) there was too much coconut in the design. At the time I wasnā€™t keeping notes like I should have, but I do recall that it was something I wanted to re-look at again. Actually I believe I joined ELR a couple days after mixing this up, it was one of the first clones I had made, and this forum had re-sparked my interests in diy after stopping for a couple years.

3 Likes

I just looked, I joined a couple days before mixing this up, probably one of the leading factors for signing up (I had tried the reserve Castle Long while on a business trip) and was probably waiting for the ingredients to still get shipped in to me. lol

3 Likes

There are 5 flavors that make the Castle Long taste signature.
Acetyl Pyrazine TPA
Vanillan TPA
Brown Sugar TPA
Coconut Extra TPA
Toasted Almond TPA

I have found that subbing each of these cause the recipes ā€œflareā€ to dwindle the more the flavors get subbed so hence the more the flavor signature fades. I would not recommend subbing any of these or else youā€™re vape experience with this recipe will not be nearly as good. That is my opinion and my own findings.

For me these subs wonā€™t work that are listed in his stash,

FA Coconut- Not even close to sub for TFA Coconut Extra, I donā€™t think there is one quite like it.
FA Vanilla Classic- If you have FA Vienna Cream and add .5% to 1% thatā€™s the best substitute for Vanillan IMO. The other option here, although you will still lose that signature flavor, is to just use your choice of a Vanilla Bean Ice Cream for all 5 flavors. Thatā€™s pretty much what the 5 flavors are doing itā€™s a coconut almond milk ā€œvanilla bean ice cream trickeryā€ and it works.

On a final note ,I have made this recipe several different ways and I have made it with FA Brandy but not TFA. TFA Brandy is good but I prefer FA for a closer to Brandy type flavor but Iā€™m sure TFA would be fine in this.

7 Likes

Thanks everybody for precious inputs, will try to get the original recipe flavors,
and meantime will give BoyHowdy recipe a shot in a small batch, will keep you informed in a while

6 Likes

TFA Brandy is super strong.

4 Likes

This is good to know - have ordered some to play around with! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This one looks really good to me with the exception of the toasted almond. I just donā€™t do nut flavors well. I get away with amaretto I wonder if that would work with this.

2 Likes

What % do I add to a $7 bottle of store brand vodka to make Courvoisier? thatā€™s the REAL question :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I donā€™t drink often, but when I do - itā€™s usually this with a coffee/cream side car:

3 Likes

Thanks for everyoneā€™s help.Here is the one that I always make for myself.

Castle Long Clone by jonhall2

Ingredient %
Acetyl Pyrazine 5% (TPA) 1.5
Brown Sugar Extra (TPA) 1
Coconut Extra (TPA) 1.5
Kentucky Bourbon (TPA) 2.5
Toasted Almond (TPA) 1.5
Vanilla Bourbon (TPA) 1
Vanillin 10% (TPA) 1

Flavor total: 10%

I made this version by @Beaufort_Batches last month and it is great as well! Thanks everyone for the reminder to rate this!The Hypnotic Myst really adds to the depth of the Castle Long.

Castle Long Plus

Ingredient %
Acetyl Pyrazine 5% (TPA) 1.5
Brown Sugar Extra (TPA) 1
Coconut Extra (TPA) 1.5
Hypnotic Myst (FA) 1.5
Kentucky Bourbon (TPA) 2.5
Toasted Almond (TPA) 1
Vanillin 10% (TPA) 1

Flavor total: 10%

4 Likes

Aye, @BoyHowdy, putt sum catch-up awn it!!!

4 Likes

Had to read up on this flavorā€¦ first Iā€™ve heard of it.

2 Likes

True Maureeenie, TFA Brandy is really a very strong flavour, I could smell only brandy after mixing,
btw seems impossible to get from the same supplier the 3 flavours missing to my stash and complete TPA 'originalā€™recipe here in Italia, too bad TPA does not sell directly to Italia due to custom permissions.
Will get the 3 missing flavours in some way, will take some time anyway as I have to purchase from at least 2 different suppliers.
GPC2012 I love almonds lol, thatā€™s why castle long is one of my favs ever.
Tomorrow Iā€™ll receive the base (VG + PG + 36mg PG Nicotine) and whatever Iā€™ll decide to do (use the flavours I have and try to put ā€˜somethingā€™ together, or maybe better wait to get the missing flavours), will keep you updated.
Btw the 3 missing flavs are:

• Kentucky Bourbon TPA
  • Vanillin 10% TPA
  • Coconut Extra TPA
2 Likes

DIY Dictionary:
Hypnotic Mist - A concentrated flavor made exclusively by Flavor Art UK. Summed up in two words describes this flavor for sure- Fruity Potpourri ā€¦WTF, WTF, WTF, WTFā€¦

5 Likes

I love that stuff!!!

2 Likes

Itā€™s like the heroin of Brandy, yes.

2 Likes