Retro Sub Tank Review...The Innokin Isub G and Coils

I picked up an Innokin Disrupter TC75 (which I am extremely happy with, btw). This mod needs a 22mm atty, and I wanted to keep the watts around 35 so I wouldn’t be swapping out the battery every 3 hours (and at 35w I get most of a day of vaping)
I had tried alot of sub tanks in the day, some good, many not. I’d never tried the Isub-G, but always liked the look of it and the coils intrigued me. Clean lines, basic, simple, a nice looking tank. Then I saw vids about how the coils are easily rewickable, and seeing how easy it is, that clinched it. Having moved on to rebuildable tanks and rdas, I really didn’t want something that I had to buy coils for…especially these days and with regulation, maybe dwindling stock supply down the line, etc.
But these coils are 0.5 ohm, a single horizontal coil, two wick holes. Super easy to pull the cotton out and rewick them. There is a spit guard screen which is easy to pop out with a pin or needle. Do that, I found the draw is easier and the flavor increased a tad this way, and not to worry, there is no spit back at all this way. Rewicking the coil is very simple, just watch one of the youtube videos. I imagine i can rewick these 3 or 4 times or more, and the coils should last quite a long time if you dry burn before rewicking, and not use coil gunking juices. Two or three boxes of coils will last me a very long time this way. I’m finding coils for approx $10 for a box of 5 these days.
As for the tank, I’m quite pleased. Removing the coil screen improves the draw and flavor. I’ve found this tank wicks and performs the best with 50/50 juices, altho I have used 60/40 and 70/30, I am most happy with 50/50. The coil is a crackly sounding beast, and I find that a very satisfying sound. As to flavor…well, this is a sub tank and flavor is muted compared to a rebuildable for sure. I make sure I use stronger flavored juices to compensate. I would never call this a flavor beast, but the vapor produced is good, not super dense but good, and I definately get a full lung draw, this wouldn’t be considered a mtl tank. Fruity juices do very well in this tank, as well as tobaccos like FA RY4 or Hangsen,

So the pluses for this tank: Inexpensive tank and coils these days, and good quality construction. Easily rewickable coils. Low power requirement (they do make a 0.2 and a clapton coil for this tank as well). Simple bottom fill tank, easy to fill, no leakage at all…no need to mess with juice control or worry about flooding. Plus it just looks good on this disrupter and many of my other mods.

The tank is worth looking at if you are looking around for a simpler, easy to use, no worry older sub tank.

6 Likes

Great review! Thanks Cosmic.

3 Likes

The I Sub G came with a starter kit I bought when I first started transitioning away from tobacco.
I agree with you on several points. 1. No Leaking. 2. I enjoyed how noisy it was.
The prebuilt coils had a bad tendency to fry the wicking material while priming. I’m sure this is why you are replacing the wick. Also, the screen had a tendency to collect gunk pretty easily, and I imagine removing it helps with flavor.
It’s not a bad tank, and when it performed right, it outperformed the tank I replaced it with in regards to flavor.
But, ultimately, despite the other issues, which can be corrected if you have the time and patience, it was the bottom fill tank that I found to be the deal breaker, mostly because it was a convenience/ease of use issue.
I may pull it out of retirement this afternoon and have a noisy, retro vape.:grinning:

3 Likes

Mrneph2, actually I haven’t had a wick frying problem at all with this one, just primed the coil slowly and well, which is even easier once removing the screen. Only needed to rewick the coil after approx 3 weeks (and that was almost all day, every day vaping). And I did the old start out low and build up with the wattage trick. I do think the 50/50 juice really helps with quicker wicking, for sure.

2 Likes

But I will also add that I think the manufacturer did overstuff the coil with wicking a little too tightly, as they did with many of those horizontal type of coil.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for this review! I’ve been using these tanks for a while and had no idea you could rewick the coils. There’s a few vids on youtube on how to clean the coils which I’ve tried. It doesn’t always work perfectly but well enough to reuse them with a strong menthol flavor, lol.

2 Likes

Yeah, I really did enjoy rewicking the coil, it was so easy and results were so satisfying. Just used ordinary japanese cotton.

2 Likes

I have an iSub G that came with my CoolFire IV. It’s a good tank. I still use it every now and then. If it was a top fill tank I might use it more often.

2 Likes

How did you like that Coolfire? Sure is a nice looking mod.

2 Likes

The Coolfire 4 was/is a great little mod. I still use it occasionally.
I may be the only one who likes the physical power switch button on the bottom, but you can still 5-click power on-off.
The limited wattage and battery life are it’s cons in my opinion, but it is a reliable, low-power mod.

1 Like

Dittos TinMan…

2 Likes